Technical Car/Motor Issues > Daewoo Espero - 97 2.0 CV joint - how long to leave it
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 14

Daewoo Espero - 97 2.0 CV joint - how long to leave it - Stuu
Ive noticed the CV joint on my Espero is starting to knock on bumpy roads on the NSF wheel. Its been doing it occasionally but having been sat for a week, it now seems more frequent.
I wonder how long can I safely leave it before its a big issue - the car drives fine atm?
There seems to be about 1mm play in it right now, the otherside none at all.
 Daewoo Espero - 97 2.0 CV joint - how long to leave it - -
Repacking with some fresh CV joint or Moly grease will give probably it a new lease of life Stu, do the other one whilst your at it too, it's something i used to do with any FWD car i owned at one time as a preventative measure.

It's probably up for a gold watch anyway the amount of time it's been with you..;)

Actually rereading your post are you sure it's the CV joint, they usually click when on a tight lock when the getting past it....so do i.
Im fairly sure yeah, the way the sound occurs seems to point to it, plus there is physical play in it. It doesnt make any noise when that wheel is loaded up in a corner.
 Daewoo Espero - 97 2.0 CV joint - how long to leave it - RattleandSmoke
My dad left his until every turn of the corner resulted in a "click click click click" I would not advise you let it get to stage.
 Daewoo Espero - 97 2.0 CV joint - how long to leave it - nyx2k
i had one go on my old 405 and it lasted 20k until it went and had no forward drive at all but luckily it broke right outside my mechanics house.
 Daewoo Espero - 97 2.0 CV joint - how long to leave it - Zero
Re-Packed with grease it will last till the next MOT, maybe the one after if the tester does'nt spot it

Daewoo Espero - 97 2.0 CV joint - how long to leave it - Number_Cruncher
>>Ive noticed the CV joint on my Espero is starting to knock on bumpy roads on the NSF wheel.

This doesn't sound like a CV joint to me.

Is the road spring OK? Is the anti-roll bar drop link OK?

CV joints tend to make noise which varies with torque and with steer angle, not with how bumpy the road is.

In what direction is the play in the CV joint? In / out, or up / down?

>>In what direction is the play in the CV joint? In / out, or up / down?<<

Up and down.

Theres no play in anything else, I spent quite a bit of time under there and not even a hint of movement in anything else. Its not knocking on bumpy roads specifically, infact on really bumpy roads it doesnt do it much at all. I checked the spring all the way up, anti roll bar was fine, looks pretty good.
The only other suspect was a bush for what seems like subframe and its attached by the drivers feet - the rubber is cracked a bit but it seems firm. Have to get it on a ramp but will get the CV greased up again as a precaution.
 Daewoo Espero - 97 2.0 CV joint - how long to leave it - Number_Cruncher
That's a bit odd - with that much play, I would expect it to be making a real din when under load or cornering.

If, when you take the joint apart to put the new grease in, you find that the case hardening has been breached, then, the joint won't last long at all, so, be planning to renew it.

Load doesnt seem to make much difference to the noise, infact when its under load in cornering, it doesnt knock.
If I had to describe the noise, id say it sounds like an anti-roll bar gone, but a sharper crack sound rather than a dull clonk ( what ive always experienced beforehand on other cars ). I cant feel the contact through the floor.
It generally makes a noise on short, small bumps/ridges in the road, but its inconsistant, sometimes on what seems like a smooth road you hear it too.
 Daewoo Espero - 97 2.0 CV joint - how long to leave it - VxFan
As it's basically a Mk3 Cavalier, is the running gear the same? If so then there must be plenty of Mk3's in the scrappy that you could use as a donor vehicle.
 Daewoo Espero - 97 2.0 CV joint - how long to leave it - -
It'll take 20 minutes a side to peel back the boots have a nose and stuff a handfull of grease in.

Doing so won't do any harm and will likely eliminate the suspect from enquiries.
 Daewoo Espero - 97 2.0 CV joint - how long to leave it - Victorbox
>> As it's basically a Mk3 Cavalier, is the running gear the same? If so then
>> there must be plenty of Mk3's in the scrappy that you could use as a
>> donor vehicle.

I thought it was based upon a Mk2 Cav .... though similar running gear probably.
 Daewoo Espero - 97 2.0 CV joint - how long to leave it - VxFan
>> I thought it was based upon a Mk2 Cav .... though similar running gear probably.

Yes you're correct. Scrap yard donor parts might not be so readily available in that case.
Actually, while the chassis is MK2, the actual oily bits are MK3 Cavalier.

Funny thing today - no noise whatsoever, so either something has slotte back into place or its broken off altogether! Still feels tight to drive though. Its rather weird - if it was a bush, would it being soaking wet make any difference?
Latest Forum Posts