Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen Golf III - 98 1.6 Gearchange bushes etc
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 2

Volkswagen Golf III - 98 1.6 Gearchange bushes etc - sherlock47
I have posted this on the (VW) Clubgti site, but surprisingly have not had any answers!

Long shot posting on here, and I will post on HJ as well.

Anybody who has owned an ageing VW has probably done the job, although they probably have done the full refurb of all the bushes necessitating removal (and subsequent resetting) of all the linkage.

The car is actually a SEAT Cordoba Vario 1.6 1998 (almost a Polo Estate!). Rod change, very Golf like, with the vertical (not horizontal) rubber ball+ arm.

The rubber ball on the gearchange relay shaft has disintegrated leaving the white nylon like core. I have a push fit rubber ball on order.

Can any body tell me if I can withdraw the relay shaft upwards after just removing the clip on the bottom of the shaft. This saves dismantling the clamp etc on the rod and losing all alignment. Should turn it into a nice quick job?

I have posted it as a Golf on the basis that there are very few Cordobas about! It appears that all sorts of things were fitted at around this date - most Polos were cable operated gearchange. But maybe the 1.6 retained the rod set up - it certainly appears in ELSAWin correctly, altho model year is wrong!
 Volkswagen Golf III - 98 1.6 Gearchange bushes etc - Bellboy
cant imagine you will get an answer to this so you will have to suck it and see
vw's i have seen have been cable and the pins have worked loose
if i was seriously concerned i would go to a breakers and have a practise on a scrapper where the big bad dog dont see me as i smash the thing to learn
 Volkswagen Golf III - 98 1.6 Gearchange bushes etc - sherlock47
>>f i was seriously concerned I would go to a breakers and have a practise on a scrapper<<

done that - all the polos had cable change! there was one 2 high that may have had rod change, but could not get up there. No Mk2/3 golfs either

A good old style breakers, no h&s, friendly, no dogs (in daylight), 'go out the back and have a look'. I wish I had known about that site a few years back.

PS. what he did tell me was that most of the Polos will be minus gearbox,they can sell sh as many as they can get their hands on.
Latest Forum Posts