Technical Car/Motor Issues > Skoda Octavia II - 10 2.0 Oil Change, replaced existing oil
Thread Author: Skoda Replies: 6

Skoda Octavia II - 10 2.0 Oil Change, replaced existing oil - Skoda
I decided partly because i can / want to and partly guided by information from the oil geek forum at www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php that i'd change my vw507.00 spec oil at around 5k miles.

I drained the (warm) oil and found it's still mostly golden. I know from sample analysis done on BITOG forum that the oil is probably still fine, chemically, at this age.

The only reason i know of to change it now would be if it was saturated with suspended particles in the oil. But that's not visibly the case here.

So i had a think about it, and did the opposite from what i'd normally do. I put the new filter back on the shelf and refilled the engine with the old oil.

I recovered no shavings / fragments from the oil (and it was definitely up to temperature).

Will retry at 10k miles.

It still doesn't appear to have used a drop of oil, but it must have, there's a PCV system upstream of the turbo charger. The intercooler must at least have some engine oil in it by now.

I can't help feel slightly tormented by this.
 Skoda Octavia II - 10 2.0 Oil Change, replaced existing oil - Dog
If its a brand new car with the correct spec oil + still mostly golden, you've got absolutely nothing to worry about IMO.
My 05 1.8 DOHC VVT Duplex chained Almera gets the oil changed once a year or annually, whichever comes first.
 Skoda Octavia II - 10 2.0 Oil Change, replaced existing oil - Iffy
Skoda,

I don't disagree with your conclusions, but having gone to the trouble of draining the oil, I'd have slapped in the new stuff and revisited the topic in a year, not six months.

Skoda Octavia II - 10 2.0 Oil Change, replaced existing oil - Zero
>> Skoda,
>>
>> I don't disagree with your conclusions, but having gone to the trouble of draining the
>> oil, I'd have slapped in the new stuff and revisited the topic in a year,
>> not six months.

Yeah, once you got the old out, its daft to put it back.
 Skoda Octavia II - 10 2.0 Oil Change, replaced existing oil - Bellboy
or is it
that first oil is supposed to hone the rings in as well as lubricate
i wouldnt have dropped it so early
 Skoda Octavia II - 10 2.0 Oil Change, replaced existing oil - Skoda
I'll have another go, and change regardless of outcome, at ~9k ish. Its on time & distance servicing which is vag speak for first scheduled oil change at 18k, I should hit 18k in April 2011.

Might all be academic. I find out tomorrow 4.30pm if i need to chop this in for a left hand drive Yeti 4x4 DSG and some happenin' cowboy boots, fingers crossed.
 Skoda Octavia II - 10 2.0 Oil Change, replaced existing oil - Kevin
>that first oil is supposed to hone the rings in as well as lubricate.

Exactly.

Chevy V8s are filled with dino oil at the factory. At the first service they are then swapped to synth or semi-synth.

Kevin...
Latest Forum Posts