Technical Car/Motor Issues > Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 02 1.4 High idle on first startup
Thread Author: Stu Replies: 5

Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 02 1.4 High idle on first startup - Stu
Hi I've never contributed here before but I do read the forum quite a bit so hope it doesn't seem cheeky that this is my first contribution.
I recently bought an astra 1.4 16v and have noticed that when it is first started it revs up to around 1500 - 2000rpm. However after just a few minutes driving it settles down and idles perfectly normally. The problem only seems to re-occur when the car has be switched off for a fair few hours such as when I come to start the car again after finishing work.
The car seems to run perfectly fine other than this and fuel economy and performance seem just as I would expect.
Hope you can shed any light as its quite annoying!
 Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 02 1.4 High idle on first startup - Bellboy
check for air leaks
ideally also get it scanned by a competent man its hopefully something simple and cheap like the engine coolant temperature sensor
www.vvon.co.uk/forum/vectra-b/6838-coolant-sensor-some-info-i-found-useful.html
 Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 02 1.4 High idle on first startup - Zero
or it could be normal. Quite a few cars were set up like that, 1500 revs being common for cold start, tho 2k revs is a bit high
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 30 Aug 10 at 17:44
 Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 02 1.4 High idle on first startup - VxFan
>> or it could be normal.

A 51 reg 1.6 16v Astra that I used to drive did the very same thing. Mentioned it to the garage several times and always told everything was fine.

I found that blipping the throttle brought the revs down quicker than waiting for them to drop.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 31 Aug 10 at 02:09
 Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 02 1.4 High idle on first startup - Injection Doc
suspect air leak ! they do wear out throttle spindles but as already mentioned check the coolant sensor.
 Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 02 1.4 High idle on first startup - Stu
Hi sorry for late reply and thanks for your responses. Its not a big problem but just a bit annoying that when first started after work I have to use the clutch or brake to keep the car at the speed I want it to go in first gear when moving out of a parking space and around the car park. If I've been holding the car back on the brake and come to a complete stop and push the clutch in the engine will rev right up to about 2k and then drop to around 1.4k. But about after a few minutes the car will idle and run fine.
Where would I check for air leaks? Will look into coolant sensor next. Thanks for your help so far.
Latest Forum Posts