Technical Car/Motor Issues > Vauxhall Astra H - 07 1.6 Oil light comes on on long runs
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 27

Vauxhall Astra H - 07 1.6 Oil light comes on on long runs - smokie
Daughter is running an Astra, with about 60k miles on it, regularly serviced etc. She does a lot of town mileage every day as she is a mental health nurse in the community. The car performs well.

Seems whenever she does a long run - e.g. 100 miles down to us - after about 80 miles the oil light comes on. A few weeks back when she was here I checked the oil and it was within scope but in the middle of the range on the dipstick so I topped it up.

She's on a 100 miles run today and it's just come on again.

The car doesn't appear to be leaking or losing oil, and isn't smoky or noisy.

What's up with it? Faulty sensor or are there more serious possibilities?
 Vauxhall Astra H - 07 1.6 Oil light comes on on long runs - bathtub tom
Back in the day I would have removed the oil pressure sensor and connected an old oil pressure gauge I kept just for this purpose. I don't know if that's still possible on modern cars.
I wonder if it's possible to see oil pressure on 'live data' via the OBD port.
I suppose you could drain the sump and replace the oil with a heavier grade, if that cures the problem it would seem to indicate bearing or oil pump wear.
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Thu 16 Aug 18 at 15:00
I have got an OBD reader, bought recently on eBay for pennies. I can certainly try that when she's next here.
You'll need something like this that claims to read oil pressure: tinyurl.com/yctuv2v4

Then you'll need to take it for an 80 mile drive!
 Vauxhall Astra H - 07 1.6 Oil light comes on on long runs - carmalade
Don't think so.You can only read live data pressure if the is a suitable device fitted on the engine to produce a variable signal . The oil pressure warning light is operated by a switch that is either on or off,usually around 1 Bar. As suggested ,the only accurate way is a separate mechanical gauge,screwed into the oil gallery.
 Vauxhall Astra H - 07 1.6 Oil light comes on on long runs - Fullchat
Oil light switches are not normally a lot of money. I'd go for the jugular and replace.

I think the clue is in the journey time before the light comes on. If it was pressure related the bearings would be showing signs of distress before 80 miles.The car engine is up to its optimum running temp. Everything is baking under the bonnet causing expansion. So this could either be the switch or associated wiring so check connections running to the switch.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Thu 16 Aug 18 at 20:52
Blimey. only about £4 on eBay and it looks DIY even for me!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xorBWMZ8lus

Got to be worth a try... thanks!
 Vauxhall Astra H - 07 1.6 Oil light comes on on long runs - maltrap
Did you try it. Did it work ?
I don't get to see the car very often, bit she has changed the story now and apparently it is losing (but not visibly leaking) oil. She has taken it to a local mechanic but I've not yet heard his verdict. .

I didn't get round to ordering the part either but I am going to so I can do it in her next visit. Not likely till October now...
 Vauxhall Astra H - 07 1.6 Oil light comes on on long runs - rtj70
I don't need to tell you smoke that the oil light is an oil pressure warning. Obviously it comes on when oil is low but this needs investigating before the engine is damaged.
 Vauxhall Astra H - 07 1.6 Oil light comes on on long runs - VxFan
>> I don't need to tell you smoke that the oil light is an oil pressure warning.

It depends. It could also be the low oil level warning light. Some models have both lights.

Oil pressure is represented by a symbol of an oil can with a drop of oil coming out the spout.

Oil level is almost the same as the oil pressure light, but has the addition of a wavy line underneath it.

It pays to know your warning symbols, especially when they look similar to another one.

Popped up to see her today after all. I went with her to her local indie and the conclusion was that it's burning oil.

It turms out the car has more like 95k but it is in nice nick for an 07.

He said the cure would most likely be a recon engine, and you'd do the clutch at the same time as you're there. That's an expense too far really on a car which is only worth about £1200 at best.

He suggested some oil additive which should re-energise the seals and may keep it running for a few months - he claimed to know someone who used this about 2 years ago and the car is still running. So we stuck £6 worth in and I'll come back with what happens.

(She is quite capable of topping up the oil and is carrying the right oil in the boot - but he suggested trying a 10/40 next rather than 10/30 as it's gloopier)
Back in the '60s, I used to put STP in my old oil burners. Worked miracles.
I do recall an old Hillman Minx with a prodigious appetite for oil for had a miraculous recovery after I started using the 20/50 drained from my other car to top it up.
>> he suggested trying a 10/40 next rather than 10/30 as it's gloopier)

Is the 2nd figure a typo? The correct spec for that engine is 5w/30.
Hmmm maybe he said 10w/30 not 40 but I didn't write it down :-) I know one of the elements was bigger than is should be.

Must admit I was thinking at the time how long till the BanK of Mum and Dd needs to re-open... :-)

I'd suggest there's no point in using a 10W/30 instead of a 5W/30 as both oils are 30W at higher temperatures.
I didn't understand the numbers till I just read Wikipedia.

I guess he may have said 5w/40.

Seems a bit of a long shot to me anyway, just a short term stop gap, so to speak...
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 29 Aug 18 at 09:24
The oil used in earlier Vauxhalls was 10w/40, which was one of your mechanics suggestions.

I've known others use this grade on Vauxhalls of similar age to your daughters when they start using oil / have done high mileages.

The 5w/30 is a long life oil, to give longer service intervals. It's also a fully synthetic oil, whereas the 10w/40 is semi synth.

Can you confirm which oil warning light is coming on? i.e. pressure, or low level?
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 29 Aug 18 at 10:40
May I suggest smokie reads this from t'other side: tinyurl.com/ycyp6ope

Will I be excommunicated for daring to suggest it?
No wavy line Dave so pressure...?

EEK bathtub tom, now I'll have to bleach my eyes!! LOL
>> No wavy line Dave so pressure...?

Yep.

Have you tried asking on one of the Astra Forums - Astra Owners Network (AON) for example?

www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 30 Aug 18 at 12:46
I haven't but I will. Thanks
Just to wrap this up, the car was involved in a fairly minor shunt from a van, possibly uninsured, which resulted in it being written off. She was in the stationery car at the time but no harm done.

She now has a Suzuki, SX4 I think but I'm still in Portugal so am a bit remote from it all. I've been impressed thief she's managed to sort it all out without my presence!
 Vauxhall Astra H - 07 1.6 Oil light comes on on long runs - Zero
>> Just to wrap this up, the car was involved in a fairly minor shunt from
>> a van, possibly uninsured, which resulted in it being written off.

I know someone who is after an ABS pump ....
It's gone unfortunately. I was all for buying it off the insurer as it was in really nice nick except the absent driver door mirror and surrounding dents. Had I been in England I would've had it.
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 23 Sep 18 at 17:27
 Vauxhall Astra H - 07 1.6 Oil light comes on on long runs - Haywain
"I know someone who is after an ABS pump ...."

I guess that you might have been thinking of me ....... thanks very much if that's the case, but I have just been out and bought a Karoq.

And now I'm going for a lie down .....
 Vauxhall Astra H - 07 1.6 Oil light comes on on long runs - sooty123
There's a couple of them i see on a daily basis, i think they look quite big for a large car. You'll have to us know how you get on.
 Vauxhall Astra H - 07 1.6 Oil light comes on on long runs - Haywain
"i think they look quite big for a large car."

Yeah, but they're smaller than most cars that are bigger ;-)
Latest Forum Posts