Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen Polo III - 97 - Sheared Wheel Bolt - help! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hobby Replies: 10

Volkswagen Polo III - 97 - Sheared Wheel Bolt - help! - hobby
I was looking to change the wheel on my daughters 1997 Polo yesterday and when I tried the first wheel bolt it sheared off...

The rest of the bolt is in the hub... Now I guess the way to get it out is to drill it out, but has anyone done it and give me some tips?

Am I better drilling a pilot hole in it first? What sort of drill bit is best? After I've drilled out the centre, how do I get the thread out without damaging the thread on the hub?

Any help appreciated!

Looks like a candidate for the Technical area of the forum so moved across
Last edited by: Webmaster on Sat 21 Aug 10 at 12:23
 Volkswagen Polo III - Sheared Wheel Bolt - help! - Old Navy
I think these bolts are pressed in from the rear of the hub flange, if you drill it out make sure there is room to get the new stud in from the rear, also it may need pressing in, pulling it in with a wheel nut may damage the threads.
 Volkswagen Polo III - Sheared Wheel Bolt - help! - Zero
you drill a smaller hole into the remains of the bolt. then you get an extractor which screws its way into the hole and hopefully unscrews the remains of the bolt. After you have got some penetrating oil into the original thread.

Failing that, drive it to your nearest garage (the three existing bolts wil be ok) and ask them to do it.
 Volkswagen Polo III - Sheared Wheel Bolt - help! - hobby
Thanks, ON, its a bolt which goes into the hub rather than a stud...

Zero, it sounds like I may need the proper tools... perhaps the garage is the right route afterall!
 Volkswagen Polo III - Sheared Wheel Bolt - help! - Bellboy
yes..garage
 Volkswagen Polo III - Sheared Wheel Bolt - help! - Old Navy
Sorry brain fade, my post refers to wheel studs not bolts. (Slaps head) . :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 21 Aug 10 at 10:37
 Volkswagen Polo III - Sheared Wheel Bolt - help! - Bellboy
Thinking on ,if ones sheared that means the others may too
i suspect its the front hub and done many thousand miles since last off and nuts done up with a windy gun by a dangerousk tyre fitter who should know better than spin and drop
 Volkswagen Polo III - Sheared Wheel Bolt - help! - Iffy
Worth spraying penetrating oil on all the bolts.

If it's going to the garage, might as well take the bolts out of all the other wheels to make sure they are all free.
 Volkswagen Polo III - Sheared Wheel Bolt - help! - AnotherJohnH
I managed to do this to the old Skoda Felicia SWMBO used to have - 1998 Volkswagenised version, so probably the same, or similar, parts as your Polo.

I took it to a small independent garage with a good reputation, and supplied him with a new bolt.

I can't remember the cost, but it was a lot less than a new hub, and fitting.

He had the tools, skill, and experience to do the job properly first time.
 Volkswagen Polo III - 97 - Sheared Wheel Bolt - help! - FotheringtonTomas
Hm, nasty.

If you really want to drill it out, start with a pilot hole, just off centre. A "centre drill" will give you best results, a normal twist drill of small diameter will be difficult to use as it will flex excessively and probably break. You do not want bits of HSS stuck up your pilot hole, or you will not be able to use it again. Then go right through and enlarge the pilot hole using a twist bit, until it just touches the hub threads. Use an abrafile or Junior hacksaw to cut the rest of the way outwards, through into the hub threads. This will leave a small "slot" in your hub threads, and leave a "C" cross-section of bolt in the hub. Use a punch to "knock in" the rest of the bolt, and abuse a screwdriver to turn the rest out (or use a small cold chisel and turn that).

Do not try to use a screw extractor or similar in a siezed bolt - it *will* snap off, and then you are in trouble, as they are hard.
 Volkswagen Polo III - 97 - Sheared Wheel Bolt - help! - Hugo
Another idea is to try and drill a number of holes across the diameter to form a slot. Done carefully you will have a machined screw, rather than a sheered off bolt.

Apply penetrating oil to soak in and then use a sutable flat bladed screwdriver with a square shaft that will take an adjustable spanner to give you some leverage.

Working patiently, rock the screwdiver back and forth to work the bolt and work in the penetrating oil.

It WILL come undone.

I know people who've had similar issues and resorted to tack welding on a short bolt onto the sheered off bolt with the head facing so that they can just crank it off with a socket, but I guess you haven't got a welder handy :)
Latest Forum Posts