Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volvo V70/XC70 - 12 2.0 Rear Brakes
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 13

Volvo V70/XC70 - 12 2.0 Rear Brakes - Zero
Any one know how to put the rear brakes into "service mode" to enable changing the rear brake pads?

One for Carmalade perhaps?
 Volvo V70/XC70 - 12 2.0 Rear Brakes - Bromptonaut
do you need a new moniker Geoff?
 Volvo V70/XC70 - 12 2.0 Rear Brakes - Dog
This place has been laid-to-waste since you were ejected mister Z. That and the fact a bunch of know-nothing xenophobic idiots voted the wrong way.
There are only a few of us left since the bombshell dropped (it hit Cornwall too, fortunately)

So far, we're hanging on with whatever rations we have left, but I can see the day when we'll have to start communicating via shortwave radio - if the batteries hold out for that long.

Message ends ... [Hope you are well]
Ok After some research, Its possible apparently to unwind the EPB servo motor by taking off and doing it by hand with a torx bit, or by putting a 12v or 9v battery onto the terminals. I'll update this thread when the deed is done.

Would still be interested if anyone knows an easier way to put the motor in service mode, without buying the electronic diagnostic tool.
 Volvo V70/XC70 - 12 2.0 Rear Brakes - Duncan
What happened?
 Volvo V70/XC70 - 12 2.0 Rear Brakes - carmalade
You will need the correct diagnostic gear to do this properly.It may be possible to wind the pistons in and out with powering the motor,but is it worth a gamble,it could turn out to be a very expensive mistake.The correct equipment will retract, then extend the pistons and re-set the initial base position .
Thanks for the reply.
 Volvo V70/XC70 - 12 2.0 Rear Brakes - Runfer D'Hills
Funnily enough, I was only yesterday talking to my son ( nearly 17 ) about this sort of thing. By the time I was his age, under my father's supervision of course, I could more or less do most light maintenance jobs on cars, and so when I got my own first ones, I could make a reasonable and confident effort at keeping them up together with little more than a socket set, some decent screwdrivers and a set of feeler gauges.

I'd be way out if my depth on modern machinery and haven't even attempted to show him much more than how to check oil levels, screen wash and tyre pressures.

I suppose it's progress, and indeed they don't seem to go wrong as much now, but when they do, it's usually serious.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 4 Sep 16 at 09:54
 Volvo V70/XC70 - 12 2.0 Rear Brakes - Clk Sec
>>if the batteries hold out for that long

I can update the OP with the latest on my new battery, if that would be of interest...
 Volvo V70/XC70 - 12 2.0 Rear Brakes - Runfer D'Hills
Gosh, yes please, if that's not too much trouble? 😰
 Volvo V70/XC70 - 12 2.0 Rear Brakes - Clk Sec
You're teasing, Runfer...
 Volvo V70/XC70 - 12 2.0 Rear Brakes - carmalade
Looks like you are going to need one of these;www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-5175-Service-Reset-Volvo/dp/B005GLKO4A
>> Looks like you are going to need one of these;www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-5175-Service-Reset-Volvo/dp/B005GLKO4A

Thanks for the pointer.
 Volvo V70/XC70 - 12 2.0 Rear Brakes - Crankcase
Worst pun of the day, but it's the only one we've had, so it's also the best.
:)
Latest Forum Posts