Technical Car/Motor Issues > Ford Focus ST - 07 2.5 Inner CV joint wear symptoms Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 5

Ford Focus ST - 07 2.5 Inner CV joint wear symptoms - Hard Cheese

Since getting this car 9 months or so ago I have done about 22k miles over which time I have noticed a steadily worsening vibration.

At low speeds on a smooth glassy road surface all is well though if the surface is coarse then a vibration is felt. At high speeds there is a kind of thrum through the car. Larger bumps etc are handled well.

The suspension etc has been given a clean bill of health.

More recently there has been a kind of chattering noise between gears and a rattle when traversing sharp bumps, rumble strips etc.

The inner CV joints are showing signs of wear, when grasping either driveshaft and pulling it back and forth it pivots around the outer CV joint as the inner joint moves by a few mm and clicks at the same time. This would explain the chattering noise between gears and the rattle however I want to be clear that this may also explain the vibration.

My theory is that on a smooth surface the CV joint is rotating smoothly though small, high frequency movements in the suspension caused by a course road surface induce movement in the CV joints which is felt as vibration.

Does this all make sense?

Thanks.

Ford Focus ST - 07 2.5 Inner CV joint wear symptoms - Mike H
TBH I'd be checking the tyres first. Run your hands over the tread surface in both directions, does it feel rough in one direction and smooth in the other? These type of problems are common on the Saab 9-5 where the inner part of the rear tread wears strangely and causes noise & vibration that bizarrely seems to come from the front. Could be a combination of tyres and CV joints from your description, but worth looking at.
 Ford Focus ST - 07 2.5 Inner CV joint wear symptoms - VxFan
2 years on, I would have thought the problem had either been solved, or the car sold and someone else has fixed it.
 Ford Focus ST - 07 2.5 Inner CV joint wear symptoms - bathtub tom
We haven't heard from Cheddar since January, I don't recall a flounce. I do hope they didn't get over exuberant in the ST.
 Ford Focus ST - 07 2.5 Inner CV joint wear symptoms - Mike H
>> 2 years on, I would have thought the problem had either been solved, or the
>> car sold and someone else has fixed it.
>>
Hehe, didn't notice that! But can you explain why it appeared above my post of a couple of days ago? I assumed that since mine was second on the list, and that was the first that it was a recent post.
 Ford Focus ST - 07 2.5 Inner CV joint wear symptoms - VxFan
>> can you explain why it appeared above my post of a couple of days ago?

Ghosts in the machine is all I can think of.
Latest Forum Posts