Technical Car/Motor Issues > Peugeot 806 MPV - 97 2.2 Stuck fast!
Thread Author: Boggy Replies: 15

Peugeot 806 MPV - 97 2.2 Stuck fast! - Boggy
BIL's Pug 806 will not move, back wheels are completety locked in place - had wheels off, can't see anything unusual, brakes seem fine, handbrake OK, brake fluid reservoir fine. It's only been sitting a week and even 'giving it some' in reverse and forwards, the back axle seems completely jammed solid.
Could back axle / diff have seized?
 Peugeot 806 MPV - 97 2.2 Stuck fast! - -
I thought 806's were FWD, so in theory it can only be the rear brakes locked on possibly through rust but a week during summer seems unlikely.

I don't know how the adjusters work on these, you might need to consult a haynes and see if there's a way of 'relieving' the adjusters enabling removal of drums for brake inspection.

I'm assuming by the way that jacked up at the front the wheels move freely under engine power and indeed spin by hand.
 Peugeot 806 MPV - 97 2.2 Stuck fast! - BobbyG
They are FWD so should be able to floor it and it will drag the back along, screaming and shouting!
 Peugeot 806 MPV - 97 2.2 Stuck fast! - Boggy
Yep, front wheels are fine - the whole car moves while the back wheels stay firmly stuck to the spot! No amount of back and forth clutch rocking, manual shoving seems to have any effect, which is why I think there's a diff / axle problem maybe????
 Peugeot 806 MPV - 97 2.2 Stuck fast! - VxFan
Are the rear brakes discs or drums? If drums, try tapping the drums with a lump of wood to see if it'll free off the brake shoes.
You won't know whats wrong till you get those drums off and see if it's a brake problem or indeed a wheel bearing seized solid...very doubtfull one wheel locked the car would drag easily.

Take wheel off, clout drums with hammer all round to help loosen things up, you can usually poke a screwdriver through a wheel bolt hole or deliberately stamped grommetted hole in the back plate to free the probably automatic adjuster off which will allow the shoes to contract.

Trouble is you really need an exploded diagram or Haynes amnual or summat to see exactly where to put your screwdriver to release the adjuster, chances of you working out where it is by torchlight through a bolt hole are slim.

When you release the handbrake is the cable relaxing at the drum end.

Edit, ah good old VxFan , he likes hitting things too..;)
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Wed 28 Jul 10 at 11:54
 Peugeot 806 MPV - 97 2.2 Stuck fast! - Bellboy
its french.......................
so unfortunately its highly likely a shoe or shoes have delaminated,ie the meat has come off the metal holding plate
however as GB says you really need to double check (When you release the handbrake is the cable relaxing at the drum end.>) this
of course a good whack on the drums usually unseizes glued to drum shoes IF THAT IS THE PROBLEM

GOOD as LUCKAS mE oLd bEa N
 Peugeot 806 MPV - 97 2.2 Stuck fast! - bathtub tom
Are you sure it's both sides? If it is then I'd have thought it's something like the handbrake cable jammed on or pressure retained in the hydraulic system, but the latter seems unlikely if the fronts move.

I suggest you jack up a corner at a time and diagnose which wheels are locked. You'll need to chock the car so you can release the handbrake.
 Peugeot 806 MPV - 97 2.2 Stuck fast! - Collos
There is no diff or back axle the rear wheels work independly to each other on short stub axles ,if when jacked up the rear wheels are solid then its the hand or rear brakes that are faulty.Are you sure its not at the front the problem lies.
 Peugeot 806 MPV - 97 2.2 Stuck fast! - bathtub tom
We haven't heard any more about this, I wonder if it had an electric handbrake?
No electric handbrake although I seem to remember that it operates on the front wheels maybe wrong.
>> No electric handbrake although I seem to remember that it operates on the front wheels
>> maybe wrong.
>>
I remember the 806 as a good normal vehicle and handrake worked well on rear.

It was BX and C5 Mk1 + facelift (can't remember about Xantia or CX or GS or even XM) that handbrake worked on front wheels, you had to remember when you put the car on a half sliding deck on the transporters and tried to pull it in/out.
 Peugeot 806 MPV - 97 2.2 Stuck fast! - FotheringtonTomas
>> of course a good whack on the drums usually unseizes glued to drum shoes IF
>> THAT IS THE PROBLEM

I agree with the above post.
I remember now I had the citroen version a 1.9d synergie and the clutch cable went when in Germany thought it would be available at any Citoen agents it was but was for left hand drive, they are about one third of the length of a UK one ordered one from the UK and a friend sent it by DHL who lost it did it again arrived ok but the whole process took nearly two weeks.
 Peugeot 806 MPV - 97 2.2 Stuck fast! - hawkeye
Sorry I'm late to this one. I have the 806's sister, a Citroen C8.

It's straightforward FWD with disks at the rear operated by unequal length cables from a handbrake lever between the driver's seat and the door. AFAIK there is no AWD option for the 806.

The handbrake has an "out-of-the-way" position disconnected from the ratchet where the handbrake looks off but is actually engaged. I suspect this might be the case here. Look to the handbrake; lift to click into position, depress the button and release the brake. Or it's broken; still suspect the lever mechanism.
 Peugeot 806 MPV - 97 2.2 Stuck fast! - bgbound
Hi folks - got exactly the same problem on a Fiat Ulysse still struggling to get the brake drum off - did you manage to get a solution? - I think I've eliminated most things so have come to the opinion that it is probably delaminated shoes! - Not managed to find an aperture in the back plate to back off the shoes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Regards

Mike
Latest Forum Posts