Technical Car/Motor Issues > Vauxhall Vectra C - 06 1.8 Trolley Jack - Usage Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Redviper Replies: 25

Vauxhall Vectra C - 06 1.8 Trolley Jack - Usage - Redviper
Hi All
I asked the same question on a dedicated forum, but im a little confused as I don’t think I can get a clear answer as I really don’t want to damage my car.

I want to get a trolley jack so I can take my wheels off and clean them properly however I’m getting conflicting advice from the site, and my friends.

Some people say that it will be fine to use the jacking points that you would use the scissor jack for as on the Vectra there are plastic blocks on the underside of the car for you to do this.

Some say not to, and use a strong part of the chassis, where the front wheel strut is (behind it not on the arm) however I cant really see where I would put the jack.

Whenever Ive gone to a quickfit type place, they just roll it under the car without looking - Im not going to do this.

Anyone got any Ideas

Mods: I could not decide which category to put this in, please move it to the right one if necessary. ok, I'll put it in Technical Matters

Thanks in Advance
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 9 Jul 10 at 12:52
 Vauxhall Vectra C - 06 1.8 Trolley Jack - Usage - Victorbox
Kwik Fit etc will (or should) jack it on the sill in same position as the jacking point or just forward or aft or it depending if you are going for the front or real wheel. For this reason I try to use a Kwik Fit that still has the rubber pads on their jacks. To my knowledge the only plastic "blocks" will be on the jack not the Vectra. Use a strong block of wood or thick rubber on the trolley jack so you don't mark the paint.
Some will jack on the cross member that the rear of the lower front suspension arms bolt to but this requires carefull positioning.
so its defintly ok to use the jacking points?
 Vauxhall Vectra C - 06 1.8 Trolley Jack - Usage - Ian (Cape Town)
Oh, and if you have axle stands, use them. DON'T leave the car held up exclusively by the jack for an extended... recipe for disaster.
If you have no stands, put the spare under the sump or fuel tank, in case of the jack failing.
 Vauxhall Vectra C - 06 1.8 Trolley Jack - Usage - VxFan
>> If you have no stands, put the spare under the sump or fuel tank, in case of the jack failing.

Unfortunately the Vectra-C only has a space saver spare.

Regarding jacking point locations, I've only jacked up the front of my Vectra-C, and I positioned the trolley jack by the thick steel plate that the front suspension arms bolt to. In the old days it would have been referred to as the sub frame.
 Vauxhall Vectra C - 06 1.8 Trolley Jack - Usage - Bellboy
to be fair if you are only taking a wheel off at a time via a trolley jack and not putting your head under the car then a axle stand is overkill
thing is a trolley jack will work or it wont

now for my reason for saying this from experience
you put the wheel on drop the jack and the axle stand does untold damage because you forgot you put it under the suspension arm etc and it cocked over and split the sump etc etc etc
not happened to me but i have forgotten ive also used an axle stand before now when i wouldnt normally use one for a simple wheel off situation so the scenario stands
 Vauxhall Vectra C - 06 1.8 Trolley Jack - Usage - L'escargot
I use the jack which came with the car. Is it worth buying a trolley jack just for the purpose of cleaning the wheels?
 Vauxhall Vectra C - 06 1.8 Trolley Jack - Usage - The Nut
I wouldn't be happy leaving a car with a wheel off sat on just the jack that comes with most cars, I had a car come off one once. I would either use a trolley jack or the cars own jack and an axle stand.
 Vauxhall Vectra C - 06 1.8 Trolley Jack - Usage - VxFan
>> I use the jack which came with the car.

In the case of the jack supplied with the Vectra, you'd only really want to use it at the side of the road to change a wheel in the event of a puncture. In short, it's too flimsy to consider using it for any other purpose than for an emergency.
Thanks everyone for your replys, all taken on board.
 Vauxhall Vectra C - 06 1.8 Trolley Jack - Usage - Iffy
Handbrake on, in gear.

Even though you are not going under the car, I would prefer to chock it with a lump of wood while the wheel's off.

Let the car down onto the wood, but leave the jack in place, still taking some of the strain.

Vauxhall Vectra C - 06 1.8 Trolley Jack - Usage - zookeeper
why dont you just pop the spare on whilst your cleaning the other wheel, you dont even have to do the wheel nuts up that tight
 Vauxhall Vectra C - 06 1.8 Trolley Jack - Usage - L'escargot
>> why dont you just pop the spare on whilst your cleaning the other wheel, ...........

That's another advantage of having a spare wheel rather than just a can of tyre goo.
 Vauxhall Vectra C - 06 1.8 Trolley Jack - Usage - Collos
If you havn't got the nounce to jack a vehicle up then I would leave any work to people who have.
 Vauxhall Vectra C - 06 1.8 Trolley Jack - Usage - Skoda
>> If you havn't got the nounce to jack a vehicle up then I would leave any work to people who have.

Everyone's got to start sometime, what you're suggesting (figure it out for yourself, don't seek out someone with experience to show the way because if it's not obvious to you then you're not up to the task) is the reckless approach, of the two!
 Vauxhall Vectra C - 06 1.8 Trolley Jack - Usage - No FM2R
>>If you havn't got the nounce to jack a vehicle up then I would leave any work to people who have.

Born knowing everything, were you ?

And if you haven't got the "nounce" [sic] to spell "nous", then I would leave the typing in a public forum to people who have.
 Vauxhall Vectra C - 06 1.8 Trolley Jack - Usage - Collos
Maybe my english is not perfect but I know how to use a trolley jack.And I did not have to ask a web site how to use one I seem to remember watching people in Garages many years ago far more useful.
 Vauxhall Vectra C - 06 1.8 Trolley Jack - Usage - No FM2R
>>remember watching people in Garages many years ago

Oh, so you learned from those who already knew? Then let others do the same.
I would rather get it right, than push the jack up the sill

And incidently, I have enough "nous" do do basic tasks on my car I have rebuilt a few engines in my past - but thats when I had the facilties to do so

These days I dont have tools and faciltites and my car is reliable so apart from servicing im not in a garage to watch them jack it up.

Thankyou!
Last edited by: Redviper on Thu 22 Jul 10 at 16:14
Im aware that "do do" should be "to do"
 Vauxhall Vectra C - 06 1.8 Trolley Jack - Usage - Bigtee
This is an old thread now but infront of the jacking point on the front wheels is a nice huge reinforced block to put the trolley jack onto and away you go.

For the rear i used the jacking point with a trolley jack all was well.
Thanks
my partner has said she will by me a trolly jack for christmas ( i think its a great idea)
however in the mean time I can borrow a friends, so ill have a look at what you suggested

Many Thanks
 Vauxhall Vectra C - 06 1.8 Trolley Jack - Usage - Old Navy
I have used one of these for several years, I jack the car on the sill jacking points using a rubber pad to protect the paint, (ice hockey puck, or section of scrap tyre).

www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/ctj2qm-2-tonne-quick-lift-jack-cw-case-/path/trolley-jacks-bottle-jacks-transmission-jacks
 Vauxhall Vectra C - 06 1.8 Trolley Jack - Usage - Bellboy
they are alright those but make sure car cant roll more than the jack makes it because those jacks can tip over very easily otherwise
 Vauxhall Vectra C - 06 1.8 Trolley Jack - Usage - Old Navy
>> they are alright those but make sure car cant roll more than the jack makes
>> it because those jacks can tip over very easily otherwise
>>

Good point BB. I also have wheel chocks, (two bricks). :-)

EDIT:- And axle stands.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 27 Aug 10 at 18:16
 Vauxhall Vectra C - 06 1.8 Trolley Jack - Usage - bathtub tom
I bought a trolley jack just before they started fitting those little carrying handles.

How I wish I'd waited.
Latest Forum Posts