Technical Car/Motor Issues > Vauxhall Zafira A - 02 1.6 Scrapping my car Buying / Selling
Thread Author: wotspur Replies: 10

Vauxhall Zafira A - 02 1.6 Scrapping my car - wotspur
Further,to my previous " Zafira 1.6 jumping" post......it soon to be SORNed and scrapped...... The,tax is valid till April......is that worth anything
Also, just before the,Pistons became troublesome, I'd filled up, so how can I safe
Y move the £55 pounds worth of petrol from it to my wife's petrol car.....
I've been offered £80 as scrap but aim to try eBay as scrap , anyone on here done it ...or shall I try We buy any car dot com, or do they have to be,workable ???
 Vauxhall Zafira A - 02 1.6 Scrapping my car - VxFan
>> so how can I safely move the £55 pounds worth of petrol from it to my wife's petrol car.....

I'm guessing the layout will be very similar to the Mk4 Astra (Astra-G). Had to to a full tank of petrol from my late dad's Astra after he wrote it off.

Lift up rear seat base and you should see a cut out shape in the carpet on the offside part of where the seat base sits. Lift the carpet flap up and you'll see a removable plastic cover. Under this is the fuel pump.

You have to basically tap the large outer locking ring that holds the fuel pump to the tank with a hammer and something like a blunt screwdriver. Once the locking ring is removed you can then remove the fuel pump and syphon out the fuel using a hose. Refit fuel pump afterwards.

Pretty sure it can't be syphoned out through the filler cap as there is an anti syphon device fitted.

Other ways include disconnecting the delivery pipe to the fuel injection system and using the fuel pump to remove the petrol. Trouble is doing it that way you'll need to either continually crank the engine to operate the fuel pump or run a separate power supply to it.

Either way make sure you have a fire extinguisher and some damp large blankets near to hand.

You've just reminded me that I've got half a tank of fuel (approx. £30 quids worth) left in my written off Vectra to try and get out.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 5 Feb 15 at 01:20
 Vauxhall Zafira A - 02 1.6 Scrapping my car - carmalade
It would probably be a lot easier to remove the fuel pipe running to the engine ,put it into a fuel can,then bridge out the fuel pump relay in the engine bay fuse/relay box.This will run the fuel pump,then there no need to strip out the tank access. Wbac will not buy a non runner.Putting the car on flea-bay could present problems unless all the transfer details are filled in correctly on the v5 and get Id from the buyer,otherwise you could see your car driving around with another engine collecting speeding and parking fines..Best way is to get a certified salvage firm to collect and complete the paperwork as reqd.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - 02 1.6 Scrapping my car - Gromit
"make sure you have a fire extinguisher and some damp large blankets near to hand"

If this goes wrong, a domestic fire extinguisher won't make a jot of differnece to somewhere between 25 and 50 litres of petrol vapour igniting inside the car - quite possibly with you in there too siphoning it off.

I've known of three people in my locality suffer severe burns from accidental petrol fires - and all those were caused with only a litre or two of fuel spilt refilling lawnmowers or starting bonfires.

Honestly, you'd be better off spending your energy on trying to get as good a scrap or resale price as you can for the cars. For the Zafira, so long as you notify the DVLA correctly of the change of ownership, surely that ends the OP responsibility for the car?

Dave, if the insurnace company are writing off the Vectra, then doesn't the wreck - and technically the fuel in it - belong to them, not you? Otherwise put, dealing with it is their problem, not yours :-)
>> Dave, if the insurnace company are writing off the Vectra, then doesn't the wreck -
>> and technically the fuel in it - belong to them, not you?

Nope. They are potentially only buying the car from me. When selling cars the previous owner (and garages) generally run the tank low prior to the sale. Anyway I haven't told them yet whether I am keeping it or not. I have a few days to decide and until I part with the documents it's still mine.
>> Lift up rear seat base and you should see a cut out shape in the
>> carpet on the offside part of where the seat base sits. Lift the carpet flap
>> up and you'll see a removable plastic cover. Under this is the fuel pump.
>>
>> You have to basically tap the large outer locking ring that holds the fuel pump
>> to the tank with a hammer and something like a blunt screwdriver. Once the locking
>> ring is removed you can then remove the fuel pump and syphon out the fuel
>> using a hose. Refit fuel pump afterwards.

Got the majority of the fuel out with the above method. No dramas, and no children or animals were injured during the performance. Made sure all four doors and boot were wide open for added ventilation and the battery disconnected beforehand.

Just over 5 gallons in all. Fuel gauge is in the red, fuel warning light intermittently on, and the fuel computer says there is only 25 miles range left.

Job done.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - 02 1.6 Scrapping my car - Haywain
About 2 years ago, we drove our son's car to the local scrappie (about 5 miles) and they gave us £130 for it; that's in Suffolk. You can usually save a bit if the car can be driven (or towed?) that short distance rather than have the scrappie come out to collect it.

They dealt with the paperwork and there was no hassle. For the little extra that I might or might not get, I personally wouldn't bother with e-bay.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - 02 1.6 Scrapping my car - R.P.
Scrap prices have gone down we got £85 for the Fiesta - that was after checking half a dozen scrapes across the area.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - 02 1.6 Scrapping my car - Gromit
Good point Hayain - and the most useful part of the process is the certificate of destruction the scrappie should give you.

I've had two cars written off by insureres - one was scrapped immediately, and I got the cert from the beaker. One was transferred to the insurer, who took the V5 but held on to the car for some time before deciding to write it off.

For quite some time afterwards, I kept getting reminders for overdue road tax for the second one, and had quite the time proving what had become of it without the correct paperwork.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - 02 1.6 Scrapping my car - wotspur
Thanks for all the advice......for the safety sake, I'll leave the fuel in there for the experts to deal with......I had hoped that it was going to be possible to use a tube into the petrol tank, suck and wait for it to flow, and go straight into the other car,mbuttheir that hasn't been given as an option, I'll assume it's not going to work.......
>> I had hoped that it was going to be possible to use a tube into the petrol tank
>> but their that hasn't been given as an option, I'll assume it's not going to work.......

Like I said, there's an anti syphon device in the fuel delivery pipe preventing this.
Latest Forum Posts