Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen Polo IV - 04 1.6 Heater Fan Switch
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 10

Volkswagen Polo IV - 04 1.6 Heater Fan Switch - maltrap
The heater motor switch on the wife's Polo has stopped working in the number 1 position, the other three are OK. Is this fixable or has the whole switch got to be replaced ?
 Volkswagen Polo IV - 04 1.6 Heater Fan Switch - bathtub tom
Heater fan speeds used to be controlled by a network of resistors, don't know if that still applies to yours.

Googling your title brings up an item for an eye-watering hundred quid on ebay and there's a youtube description.

I'd be tempted to remove the old one and get my soldering iron out!

Cheers Tom, Merry Xmas
 Volkswagen Polo IV - 04 1.6 Heater Fan Switch - Zero
>> Heater fan speeds used to be controlled by a network of resistors, don't know if
>> that still applies to yours.
>>
>> Googling your title brings up an item for an eye-watering hundred quid on ebay and
>> there's a youtube description.
>>
>> I'd be tempted to remove the old one and get my soldering iron out!

Doesn't look like the fixable with a soldering iron type.

Probalem is caused, by the way, by not changing the pollen filter, reducing air flow overheating the pack.
Thanks Zero,you're right about not changing the pollen filter, are you saying the problem is at the motor, not the switch ?
>> Thanks Zero,you're right about not changing the pollen filter, are you saying the problem is
>> at the motor, not the switch ?

No not saying that, the resistor has gone for sure. just saying that normally the reason it burns out is because of lack of airflow caused by blocked pollen filter.
 Volkswagen Polo IV - 04 1.6 Heater Fan Switch - carmalade
Very likely to be a fault with the speed resistor found behind the dash/glovebox.Probably one of the wire wound resistances open circuit.Burnt out resistors caused by a blocked cabin filters is a myth,it is usually old age or the motor drawing slightly too much current.
>>
>> Burnt out resistors caused by a blocked cabin filters
>> is a myth,it is usually old age or the motor drawing slightly too much current.

Sorry but its not a myth. Resistor packs are often mounted in the air flow to prevent premature ageing. Reduced airflow = premature ageing.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 22 Dec 14 at 18:25
 Volkswagen Polo IV - 04 1.6 Heater Fan Switch - zookeeper
you can get a replacement resistor pack from fleabay... plug n play 2 minute job
Thanks everyone, i've done a bit of "mooching". The resistor pack is inside one of the air ducts, accessable by removing the glove box. I don't know about 2 minutes. There's even a tutorial on Utube. Thanks again, Happy New Year.
 Volkswagen Polo IV - 04 1.6 Heater Fan Switch - Simon
>> Sorry but its not a myth. Resistor packs are often mounted in the air flow
>> to prevent premature ageing. Reduced airflow = premature ageing.

I agree. I once kept chucking resistor packs at my (inherited) works Transit Connect, they kept blowing within weeks and sort of coincidentally the fan blower was very poor too. Anyway I took the thing to bits and removed the cabin filter, it was blocked solid and I mean solid, it was a bit like a lump of coal, but then again the van had been running with a blowing exhaust manifold for a while. Plus it had probably never been changed for a number of years. Anyway once the airflow had been sorted out with a new filter, another resistor pack fitted it has been fine since. Hence I conclude that the reason that they are fitted in the cold air flow duct is that they need a flow of cool air in order to stop them overheating under load.
Latest Forum Posts