Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen Passat - 96 1.8 Creaking steering.
Thread Author: FotheringtonTomas Replies: 12

Volkswagen Passat - 96 1.8 Creaking steering. - FotheringtonTomas
Steering makes a creaking sound, no other symptoms of problems. Sounds as if coming from steering column, however when steering wheel turned and listening from outside seems to be coming from part of the suspension or towards the rack (if it's got one). Sounds as though it's something needing greasing, but... what do you think it is?
 Volkswagen Passat - 96 1.8 Creaking steering. - Skoda
>> what do you think it is?

My vote's for creaking steering :-P

Run the front wheels onto glossy magazines then get a helper to turn the wheels with the engine off for a better idea?
 Volkswagen Passat - 96 1.8 Creaking steering. - Redviper
Power steering fluid / components?

Worn Bushes / Roll bars etc?
 Volkswagen Passat - 96 1.8 Creaking steering. - Zero
>> Power steering fluid / components?
>>
>> Worn Bushes / Roll bars etc?

Its old and Tired.

But in a related sub plot, is there anything you can spray bushes with to increase their life?

Silicon spray?
The steering's fine. It's got a full fluid resevoir. I think it's probably something rubbing, will look to see what.
 Volkswagen Passat - 96 1.8 Creaking steering. - -

>> But in a related sub plot, is there anything you can spray bushes with to
>> increase their life?

Good old Waxoyl, quietens everything down as well as it's main function, might even help prevent broken springs.
>> Run the front wheels onto glossy magazines then get a helper to turn the wheels
>> with the engine off for a better idea?

What a good idea! Thank you!
 Volkswagen Passat - 96 1.8 Creaking steering. - bathtub tom
Broken spring?
No, from what I can see it's OK. With the engine running (or not), turning the steering wheel makes a sort of groaning noise - when movement is being made - not bad, but something's up. I think it might be a bush or joint. O/S/F. Will look as soon as I can. Perhaps it's the weather!
 Volkswagen Passat - 96 1.8 Creaking steering. - Shiny
Is it a B4 or B5?
 Volkswagen Passat - 96 1.8 Creaking steering. - corax
>> Run the front wheels onto glossy magazines

Yes, good idea, something like OK magazine :-)
 Volkswagen Passat - 96 1.8 Creaking steering. - dougers
Did you find a solution? I have a 2002 that I've done a fair amount of replacement (springs, shocks, control arms) and have recently started hearing something like this and it's getting progressively worse. I can hear a little sound when braking but mostly it's steering. When driving down the highway with standard steering corrections it's almost constant. I can reproduce the sound when parked and just turning the wheel a tad to the right then left. Doubt it is any suspension or steering controls as they are all relatively new. Possibly in the rack mounts but my suspicion is sub-frame. I've checked all the nut/bolt torques once but am going to check again. The idea of spraying all the moving parts with silicon is kind of interesting.
 Volkswagen Passat - 96 1.8 Creaking steering. - Dave_
My 2001 Octavia used to do this occasionally. Traced it to the front anti-roll bar rubber mountings up by the bulkhead - a quick squirt of WD40 in them from the wheelarch with the steering turned fully one way or the other used to cure it for a couple of weeks, I suspect silicone spray would do the same thing.
Latest Forum Posts