Technical Car/Motor Issues > FIAT Panda - 10 1.1 Excessive play in steering Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 8

FIAT Panda - 10 1.1 Excessive play in steering - RattleandSmoke
I have noticed this for a while now, but it is slowly getting worse to point where it is not just my imagination. The steering reacts quickly enough but if I am going in a straight line I can move the wheel at least 1 inch to left or right and car still goes in a straight line. If it is almost like I am Cliff Richard driving that London RT bus. If I take my hands of the wheel (on an empty road of course!) the car still drives in a perfectly straight line.

Any ideas what it could be and what costs are involved? I am hoping it is just a steering joint but on modern cars I suspect this could even be a big job. My car is a 2010 Panda 1.1 with 18,000 miles on the clock but has had very heavy city use.
Last edited by: Webmaster on Fri 19 Sep 14 at 12:44
 FIAT Panda - Excessive play in steering - Armel Coussine
It doesn't sound dangerous Sheikha. Are you sure it hasn't always been like that?

Have it checked if it's worrying you. Sometimes adjustment is possible. Don't let anyone sell you parts you don't need!
 FIAT Panda - Excessive play in steering - Boxsterboy
Have you checked the tyre pressures?
 FIAT Panda - Excessive play in steering - RattleandSmoke
I will check the pressures because have been away for a couple of weeks although the front tyres are less about two months old.
 FIAT Panda - Excessive play in steering - carmalade
It is electric steering column on these so has a conventional manual steering rack.Could be a track rod or steering arm wear.or what about a loose steering wheel ?
 FIAT Panda - Excessive play in steering - RattleandSmoke
Checked it while stationary and out of the car, zero play what so ever, even if I move the wheel 30mm I can see the wheels move. I wonder why they would be play when the car is moving but not stationary? At least it confirms it is not a loose steering wheel etc.
 FIAT Panda - Excessive play in steering - ....
Sounds like track rod ends. My last FIAT failed its first MOT on track rod ends. They were shot. Trying to keep it in a straight line above 90 was like aiming for a harbour mouth in a coble in a 30 foot swell.
 FIAT Panda - Excessive play in steering - Zero
There is nothing wrong with it. Leave it till the next MOT and they will tell you there is nothing wrong with it as well.
 FIAT Panda - Excessive play in steering - Duncan
>> I will check the pressures because have been away for a couple of weeks although
>> the front tyres are less about two months old.
>>

Where did you go? Anywhere nice?
Latest Forum Posts