Technical Car/Motor Issues > Honda Accord Tourer - Blanking EGR
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 11

Honda Accord Tourer - Blanking EGR - Mapmaker
An occasional hesitation (3 times over there last nine months and 5000 miles, solved by dropping a gear and flooring it) has been identified as need for a new EGR at £600+VAT.

Elsewhere on the net is a suggestion of blanking the EGR. And with a remap thiscould also improve economy, improve performance and solve the problem.

If removing the EGR from the equation is such a good idea, why is one fitted in the first place?! Or otherwise, what is the downside?

Thanks.
 Honda Accord Tourer - Blanking EGR - Zero
The EGR is there to reduce NOx emissions. Not sure about the need for a "remap" if its blanked, more to do with removing the logic that checks if its working i think.

How much is the new code, fitted? I know I could get a new EGR valve for 225 quid.
 Honda Accord Tourer - Blanking EGR - Fenlander
Folks on the one-make forums are very keen to remove the EGR valve even if it isn't faulting... as if there is some sort of magic improvement in performance, driveability and fuel consumption.

Posts like ... My 5-series is pulling to the left what might it be... Well you want to blank off your EGR valve and that will sort it.

A bit of a cynical view but not that far off the truth.

I've never had trouble with any EGR valve but if I did would remove and clean first then consider replacing if actually faulty.

I guess yours is a short run, low miles car Mapmaker??

Car has done 155k, 55-reg.

I've had it the last three years and it's done 5k each year. It doesn't do that many short runs, I tend to prefer the bus...

And - yes, you're right - the Accord forum recommend blanking off and remapping to improve performance. For about half the cost of the new valve.
 Honda Accord Tourer - Blanking EGR - Fenlander
Oh well if the original EGR made 155k then it might be due a clean. Worth an hours labour and a tin of carb cleaner at a small garage surely??

I'm very wary of remap work and would never have it done or knowingly buy a car that had already been altered.

Others seem quite happy... but then of course once they've spent the money human nature tends to tip folks into glowing praise.
>>Worth an hours labour and a tin of carb cleaner at a small garage surely??

I'd be delighted with that. It's a long way from £750 though - in a car that might be worth £1500 if I'm lucky.

It's his 'requires urgent replacement' - I haven't talked to him yet - that worries/intrigues me. The rest of the 'net talks about cleaning them. (Unlike, say, Vauxhall EGRs which seem to need regular new valves at £80 a go.)

>>I'm very wary of remap work

Quite. Particularly when done by some bloke off an internet forum who has done loads of the cars owned by people on there - probably all on his front drive. Who does he think he is to disagree with Honda-San's very expensive team of engineers.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Mon 21 Jul 14 at 10:11
 Honda Accord Tourer - Blanking EGR - madf
.)
>>
>> >>I'm very wary of remap work
>>
>> Quite. Particularly when done by some bloke off an internet forum who has done loads
>> of the cars owned by people on there - probably all on his front drive.
>> Who does he think he is to disagree with Honda-San's very expensive team of engineers.
>>

The tolerances in a new engine usually can cope with remaps.. But at 150k miles, there is bound to be a bit of metal fatigue.

New crankshaft anyone? Or the clutch will not handle the extra torque.
 Honda Accord Tourer - Blanking EGR - Manatee
>> The tolerances in a new engine usually can cope with remaps.. But at 150k miles,
>> there is bound to be a bit of metal fatigue.
>>
>> New crankshaft anyone? Or the clutch will not handle the extra torque.
>>

Not to mention things like lipped cylinders and so on. Everything that has worn in to a normal range of movement has the potential to travel further, faster or with more force than it has done before.
 Honda Accord Tourer - Blanking EGR - bathtub tom
>>Not to mention things like lipped cylinders and so on.

Didn't stop me from revving the old Kia Pride to 7K and above and using it on and off road for six years. I couldn't imagine the previous owner ever doing that. The only damage it suffered was a dented door sill when I parked it on a tree root and a broken diff through over exuberance and thinking it was unbreakable.

I know that's only a sample of one.

I would have thought the modest increase in power obtained from blocking the EGR and mapping the ECU to recognise that would be less than the loss from 150K miles of use.
>> I would have thought the modest increase in power obtained from blocking the EGR and
>> mapping the ECU to recognise that would be less than the loss from 150K miles
>> of use.

Absolutely. Trivial. Especially if it's driven the same way. Forgot the context.
If the remap is designed not to change the amount of power, merely a cheaper way of not bothering with a new EGR, then do you still think there's a potential problem?
>> If the remap is designed not to change the amount of power, merely a cheaper
>> way of not bothering with a new EGR, then do you still think there's a
>> potential problem?

Not at all.

And to completely contradict my earlier concern - just remembered that my brother has a Volvo V70 D5 that had to be remapped to accommodate 'emissions changes', shall we say, at something over 100,000 miles, and had a modest power boost - probably 30bhp or so - at the same time. It's just gone past 200,000.
Latest Forum Posts