Technical Car/Motor Issues > Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 99 1.6 Misfire Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 6

Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 99 1.6 Misfire - Robin O'Reliant
Right, here's the problem, 16v 1999 Astra with a misfire. This occurs under acceleration, the car seems to cruise alright. When idling the misfire is not regular, sometimes a little burp or two every five seconds, then maybe every 12 seconds and sometimes ok for a little longer. The car is a bit of an oiler, a tad over 1/2 litre every 1k but it's been like that since I've had it (November) and according to the handbook 1.2 litres per 1k is normal for this car. I've had a new backbox to replace the knackered original with the collapsed internals (See previous thread) and I've put new plugs in. Checked the plugs after 100 miles and they were dry and clean as a whistle, the old ones had no worrying colours though they were worn.

Would I be right in thinking the fact the plugs were not oiled up would point to an electrical fault rather than rings or valves, possibly coil pack? The car starts first touch of the button every time.
 Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 99 1.6 Misfire - carmalade
Could be a coilpack problem,however the only way to find out is with a replacement unit.May be worth doing a compression check to see if any cylinder is below par.
 Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 99 1.6 Misfire - Runfer D'Hills
Or just turn the radio up a bit more.
 Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 99 1.6 Misfire - Victorbox
As suggested, I'd start with new plugs and a new coil pack, although the experts suggest a genuine one (probably Bosch) will do the job far better and longer than a cheap aftermarket one.
 Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 99 1.6 Misfire - bathtub tom
Wouldn't something of that age have an OBD port?

You could spend a lot of time and money guessing, or buy a cheap code reader that could point you in the right direction.

It's what I've just done.
 Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 99 1.6 Misfire - Simon
I too would try a coil pack first.

As for an OBD reader, if the engine management light isn't on - there will be no current code stored for this misfire.
 Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 99 1.6 Misfire - Robin O'Reliant
Sorry lads, forgot to conclude - it was indeed the coil pack.

Latest Forum Posts