Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen Golf IV - 03 1.6 Water Ingress Miscellaneous
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 4

Volkswagen Golf IV - 03 1.6 Water Ingress - maltrap
My son's Golf has got a lot of water in the drivers side only, front & rear footwells. Someone has suggested the drain holes in the bulkhead, are these easy to find & unblock?

Thanks in anticipation.
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 03 1.6 Water Ingress - Zero
I'd be looking at the plastic membrane inside the door card
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 03 1.6 Water Ingress - Bromptonaut
I assume this means the space between engine and cabin holding wiper motor and such like. If water's gathering in there it should be visible by torchlight. Probably slooshing audibly as well.

Should drain either into wheel arch or via a pipe to lower part of engine bay.

EDIT. Just seen Z's comment. Unless scuttle drains are a known issue on Golfs I'd be looking at door or boot as well. Also checking water for smell etc to be certain it was rain and not coolant or screenwash.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 8 Feb 14 at 12:51
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 03 1.6 Water Ingress - carmalade
You need to remove the plastic scuttle panel at the rear of engine bay.Take off wiper arms,usually a drama,and release the panel .These can be a real pig to take off,as it is often a tight fight where it clips into the base of the windsceen.Once removed ,check the drain off points intothe inner wings.Also check security of the pollen filter housing.The doors on these do not have plastic membranes,but i have seen water ingress under the door aperture seals.hth
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 03 1.6 Water Ingress - Dave_
I've had cars circa 10 years old with water ingress problems before. One had a leaking sunroof seal and would only let in rain when parked sideways on a slope; the solution was to park facing the other way. The other car suffered from a perished windscreen seal and was fixed temporarily with duct tape on the outside and permanently with a new 'screen.

You can find the source of the water ingress by leaving sheets of kitchen towel or newspaper on the dashboard / seats / door handles overnight and seeing where it gets wet by morning.
Latest Forum Posts