Technical Car/Motor Issues > Ford Focus - 02 1.6 Is the VSS packing up??? Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Haywain Replies: 6

Ford Focus - 02 1.6 Is the VSS packing up??? - Haywain
Oh dear, the old Focus seemed to be doing so well, but those little things are now starting to niggle.

My wife reported that the speedo (dial type) had dropped to zero a couple of times recently, and then carried on working properly. This morning, we were driving out of town when the speedo went to zero, the odometer and tripmeter stopped working, and the engine behaved erratically for the first 6ooyds or so; it then recovered and carried on perfectly well.

Checking on various websites, these symptoms are not uncommon with the Focus and, in most cases, the problem seems to be due to a faulty vehicle speed sensor (vss). In one thread, the poster suggested that 'It would be better to get the problem fixed sooner rather than later' and gave a link to another forum; that link no longer works. I got the impression that, unless the problem was fixed, something dire might happen!

I just wonder if any of you chaps know about vss issues, and what dire consequences might ensue by not getting a rapid fix. I wonder if it could be that the car could suddenly cut out ……….. maybe whilst in the fast-lane of a motorway etc. Should I allow my wife to go to work in it tomorrow, or ground it straightaway?

Cheers

Ford Focus - 02 1.6 Is the VSS packing up??? - carmalade
Certainly not a dire situation.The only problem you will experience is the possible stalling on slow down /overrun and the speedo operation.It may also affect the radio volume ,if the original radio is fitted.The challenge is getting it replaced,as on some models it can be a real pig to remove.It is only made of plastic but it becomes seized in the aluminium gearbox housing.Also make sure you use a genuine Ford part.I don't think it is very expensive.
 Ford Focus - 02 1.6 Is the VSS packing up??? - crocks
My Focus had just those symptoms a few years ago but never showed any signs of cutting out at speed. After a few weeks it began to stall as I was slowing and changing down gears - I would just let the clutch up and "bump" start it without any real speed loss.

Then one day the same thing happened as I had slowed and was about to turn a sharp corner. The stalling of the engine cut the power steering and the absence of assistance caused me to run wide on the corner. Luckily there was nothing there to hit.

I fixed it very shortly afterwards!

I did the job myself but access is difficult, it was very stiff to get out of the gearbox, and I was concerned that if it broke something may drop into the box.
 Ford Focus - 02 1.6 Is the VSS packing up??? - VxFan
You mentioned in your other post about bulbs being replaced in the instrument panel. Sounds to me like something hasn't been put back properly, or there's a loose connection following the previous work carried out.
Firstly, many thanks for the replies.

My first thoughts were that the easily-spotted effect on the speedo may have indicated either a dodgy speedo, or dodgy wiring behind the panel, but then the engine mis-running issues came into play as well. Yesterday morning, we didn't have the radio turned on, so I wasn't able to observe any effect on the AVC (it's a 6000 radio). I have since adjusted the AVC to level 7 - it was on 3 before so, hopefully, any effects will be more pronounced ……… if that's the way it works.

My wife has gone to work in the Astra today, so I'll try the Focus again shortly - from the descriptions of fiddliness with the job, I'll most likely be taking it down to local garage - those guys are very fair. I will, of course, report back.
 Ford Focus - 02 1.6 Is the VSS packing up??? - carmalade
The Vss sends a road speed signal to both the engine control unit and the speedo pod.If it were a speedo fault,then you would not get the fault with the engine running issue.You can throw the instrument pod in the bin on these ;it will not affect the way the engine runs.Btw,the connector on the back of the pod is a "mate and lock "fitting,once it is on it does not come adrift.hth
After watching a Youtube video about replacing the vss, reading about difficulties in doing the job yourself and, finally, not being able to see the wretched thing, even with the aid of a torch, I took the car down to my local trusty garage.

They did the job, confirming that it was a dodgy vss, and presenting me with a bill for £112.40 - £47.67 for the parts and £46 labour (+vat).

It's very difficult to be perfectly objective, but my wife and I both feel that the car is running markedly better; mind you, we've driven it for 10 years now, so we ought to have a pretty good feel for it.
Latest Forum Posts