Technical Car/Motor Issues > Hyundai Elantra - 04 2.0 Immobiliser fault?
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 4

Hyundai Elantra - 04 2.0 Immobiliser fault? - Stuu
Earlier the car wouldnt start, it turned over fine and quickly but would catch at all. Eventually I took key out and then had another go and it fired up fine - it has been fine since but I have changed to the spare key - I thought maybe the chip in the key is iffy, hence the key change.

Sound plausible?
 Hyundai Elantra - 04 2.0 Immobiliser fault? - Lygonos
Doubt it - all my cars that have immobilisers won't even spin if the immobiliser isn't unset.

Probably a fuelling glitch since it's a diesel, or perhaps the glowplugs having a blonde moment.
 Hyundai Elantra - 04 2.0 Immobiliser fault? - Stuu
I know it will start, but run roughly initially, without glowplugs so I wouldnt think they alone would be the cause.

I am hoping it is just a glitch. The only thing I did different to make it start was take out the key and put it back in again hence I thought it could be immobiliser related.

Ive since been out in it and no problems but I have a stacked week of work, it couldnt have happened at a worse time.
 Hyundai Elantra - 04 2.0 Immobiliser fault? - Kevin
It depends how the key communicates with the ECU.

My Z28 has a two stage system. Once you've disarmed the alarm with the blipper it reads the key via electrical contacts in the ignition switch.

When one of those wires came loose the engine would turn over but not fire and flashed a fault code on the alarm LED.
 Hyundai Elantra - 04 2.0 Immobiliser fault? - Lygonos
That sounds a fairly old system - don't most modern systems use a transponder chip in the key that works by being in proximity rather than direct contact?
Latest Forum Posts