Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen Golf IV - 98 1.6 Crankcase venting to atmosphere - MOT Fail?
Thread Author: Skoda Replies: 7

Volkswagen Golf IV - 98 1.6 Crankcase venting to atmosphere - MOT Fail? - Skoda
The PCV valve on the wee golf is a weak point, and at £30 a go (it's an integral part of the air duct assembly from MAF -> Intake Manifold) not one i particularly want to replace on such an old car.

Is it an MOT failure to vent crankcase to atmosphere? I was thinking of running some tubing from the breather down to the subframe somewhere and leave it open ended.

I'm not proposing to use a catch can (if i need to spend £10 + p&p for a catch can, i'd be as well going to the VAG dealer and bending his ear for a discount on the pukka part).

Not very green of me i know :-/ just fancy getting the wee car back running well again before the weekend...
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 98 1.6 Crankcase venting to atmosphere - MOT Fail? - Zero
As long as your car meets emmision standards out of the exhaust pipe then its an MOT pass. Crankcase ventilation is not checked.
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 98 1.6 Crankcase venting to atmosphere - MOT Fail? - Skoda
Nice :-)

Done now, can't really tell any difference in running, not any quieter, not any sharper throttle response etc.

Have used plastic pipe so hopefully the oil wont condense on the walls of that and start dripping out the end of the pipe! No drips so far.

Should at least help keep the throttle body from gunging up now (recurring issue on these cars!). Might blank off the EGR next time it needs a clean... just to really cement my green credentials!
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 98 1.6 Crankcase venting to atmosphere - MOT Fail? - bathtub tom
I've used a jam-jar before on a radiator overflow. It collected most of the liquid. If you don't want any condensate 'protecting' the underside of your car you could run your vent pipe into any old container and another pipe from the container to the atmosphere.
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 98 1.6 Crankcase venting to atmosphere - MOT Fail? - MD
Atmosphere, I love a party with a happy atmosphere!!

Cant remember who sang it, but it was a Hoot at the time. May have been Russ Abbot. Whatever!!

Night.
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 98 1.6 Crankcase venting to atmosphere - MOT Fail? - bathtub tom
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFPLk5mJ1D4
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 98 1.6 Crankcase venting to atmosphere - MOT Fail? - Dog
--> www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFPLk5mJ1D4 <--

Thanks, just put me off my toast :(
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 98 1.6 Crankcase venting to atmosphere - MOT Fail? - Iffy
If you give the car a lot of beans, it might pump some oil out of the open breather.

I've seen a siphon effect come into effect on a Jag engine which emptied the sump.

If there's space, running the breather into a vented container is a good idea - you can see if you are losing any oil.

As has been said, any container will do - something like a plastic milk carton.

Punch a couple of holes in the top and you're well away.

Latest Forum Posts