Technical Car/Motor Issues > Mitsubishi Lancer - 07 1.6 power steering fluid. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 9

Mitsubishi Lancer - 07 1.6 power steering fluid. - Zero
Is there any benefit from changing power steering fluid?

Background. I am getting a "tingly jingly" noise on a colder monringstart up, goes after a minute or so. Not fully investigated it, but initial inspection reveals a noisy power steering pump or air con pump.

Which led to to think, does power steering fluid need to be changed? How do you get the old stuff out?
 Mitsubishi Lancer - 07 1.6 power steering fluid. - Baz
I haven't ever heard of it being done routinely to be honest. Could be a squeaky pulley or some crud somewhere. If PS pump is going it tends to get very noisy and groan badly on full lock.
I would try copious WD 40 around the pulleys and fingers crossed. It might be one of those things that never gets any worse with luck.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 29 Oct 13 at 21:21
 Mitsubishi Lancer - 07 1.6 power steering fluid. - bathtub tom
Does the AC compressor have a clutch and if so what happens to the noise if you turn the AC on/off?
 Mitsubishi Lancer - 07 1.6 power steering fluid. - Manatee
>> Does the AC compressor have a clutch and if so what happens to the noise
>> if you turn the AC on/off?

Good question.

Probably worth a bit more time tracking the source of the noise unless you are sure it's the pump. The last jingly noise I had preceded the falling apart of an idler pulley bearing on the Scorpio. Of course I thought it was one of the proper components the very serpentine belt went round.

If you can get a long screwdriver to the suspected pumps as a listening stick you might be able to confirm or eliminate them as the cause.
 Mitsubishi Lancer - 07 1.6 power steering fluid. - Skip
Is the fluid still a nice clean red colour ?
noise does not change with air con on/off which is why I went for the power steering pump.

The jingly noise sounds exactly like a cam belt idler, but it was changed about 25k ago, and its so brief (gone after less than 1 minute of clod start) its hard to pin it down.

The power steering pump is noisy most of the time (only now I have noticed it mind - it might have been like that all the time) and I have no idea what colour the fluid is not checked.

And to change it? found out you take off the pipe and turn the engine over to pump it out.
 Mitsubishi Lancer - 07 1.6 power steering fluid. - No FM2R
But clod starts are notoriously bad for engines. Although I guess most of your cars have survived.
you on the gin already?
 Mitsubishi Lancer - 07 1.6 power steering fluid. - No FM2R
Vodka.

31 degrees, someone else cooking the barbecue. What choice do I have?

Sympathy would be nice.
>> Vodka.
>>
>> 31 degrees, someone else cooking the barbecue. What choice do I have?
>>
>> Sympathy would be nice.

go whistle.
Latest Forum Posts