Technical Car/Motor Issues > Renault Megane - 01 1,6 Argh! French electrics - idle problem Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 7

Renault Megane - 01 1,6 Argh! French electrics - idle problem - Dave
I spent the day yesterday sorting out some daytime running lights, to save me having to remember to switch the headlights on during the day, and so it is easier to read the dash without the dash lights dimming. So I spent quite a long time with the lights on etc, and I believe the battery is quite old anyway.

When I come to start the car, it fires up and then promptly dies about 5 seconds later. I tried again, but it wouldn't fire, and the battery was starting to get weak. Left it on charge overnight, and after a couple of turns it came to life with a bit of smoke and all was well.

This morning though, it fired up with a very low tickover, then it jumped to about 1500rpm. I got a mile or so down the road and it wouldn't tickover at the junction. It fired right back up again with a bit of throttle, and I drove it back home. It was ticking over really low, but after blipping the throttle it would then tick over at 2500rpm. So I left it and took the trusty old Skoda instead.

Whilst in town I picked up a TDC sensor, as these appear to be a common failure (and are cheap and easy to fit), and the fact the dealer had it in stock confirmed this. I replaced the sensor, but the tickover was still sky high. I took out the IAV (Idle air valve) which is a small stepper motor, and it looked ok, could be moved by hand etc. So I gave it a clean and tried it before installing again.

I followed some advice I found on t'web and turned the ignition on and off a few times to set it. The little plunger would move a small amount on turning on, and move again 10 seconds after turning off. But it wasn't moving far, and seemed to hold this position when back in the car. Ie, if you pushed the plunger in, the tickover was sky high, and if pulled out the engine would die without throttle.

I took it out for a run, keeping it ticking over on the throttle until the engine got warm, it would then idle ok. So I'm not sure if it got it's knickers in a twist with a busted TDC sensor, or if the stepper motor is busted, or if it's not getting the right signal from somewhere to keep the idle speed correct, but just happen to be ok when the engine is hot. A new motor is about £85 from England, so don't really want to plash out on one if it's not the problem.
 Renault Megane - 01 1,6 Argh! French electrics - idle problem - bathtub tom
>>I spent the day yesterday sorting out some daytime running lights

If I were you, I'd be looking to see if I'd dislodged some wiring or vacuum pipe.

Following that I'd disconnect the MAF sensor connector and if that improved it give it a good flush with carb cleaner or similar.
 Renault Megane - 01 1,6 Argh! French electrics - idle problem - -
I have no idea if this applicable on your Reno, but if the battery is disconnected on some cars , and i suspect this will be the same if the battery almost dies, the car loses the position of the throttle.
To reset its usually a case of switching the ignition on and slowly pressing the throttle to its maxiumum positon.
Would take you seconds to try this.
I was very careful when I did the DRL, as I didn't want to touch any of the existing electrics, what with it being French an' all. So the only place it touches is an ignition feed from a fuse in the engine fusebox that drives the DRL relay. The fuse was only removed with ignition off, and I connected a live feed to the battery without disconnecting anything. So in theory (!) there shouldn't be any electrical gremlings.

I though about a vacuum pipe, but if I pull out the plunger on the valve and reinstall, it won't idle, whereas if I push in the plunger, it ticks over really high. So in theory if there was a vacuum leak it would still idle with the plunger out. So I think it's basically busted.
Last edited by: Dave on Sat 5 Oct 13 at 09:22
 Renault Megane - 01 1,6 Argh! French electrics - idle problem - swiss tony
>>. So I think it's basically busted.

Its a Renault.

Nuff said.
 Renault Megane - 01 1,6 Argh! French electrics - idle problem - Runfer D'Hills
If it's RHD, sell it to a Swedish kerb crawler. Be ideal, wouldn't have to go fast and puts them closer to the pavement.
 Renault Megane - 01 1,6 Argh! French electrics - idle problem - carmalade
It is very likely to be the stepper motor snuffed,however sometimes when they fail it damages the driver circuit for it within the engine control unit.You could try and set the idle to an acceptable speed and then disconnect the plug to it May give the car an extra bit of life.
Well it seems to have fixed itself, because these french cars are so clever. Titter ye not! Or at least, it's broken in a position that means it idles at about the right speed.

The post service here used to use Renault Kangoos with RHD and auto gearboxes. But they're changing their fleet now to Fiat vans with autos. Talking about jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.
Latest Forum Posts