Technical Car/Motor Issues > Citroen Xantia - 00 1997 HDi 110 Oil Loss
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 4

Citroen Xantia - 00 1997 HDi 110 Oil Loss - Bromptonaut
Noticed for a while that Xantia (now on 150k miles) was using oil. Maybe 4-500ml/1000 miles. Previously so minimal that I rarely checked it. First alerted by the 'electronic dipstick' warning light. No sign of drips or of anything from exhaust other than usual acceleration haze visible in following headlights

Anyway today I whipped the engine cover off. There's oil on various recesses in the head and a thicker coagulated mess around the cambelt end injector. Pretty clear there's some blow-by around the injector - you can hear and occasionally see it.

I'll book it into indy later in week to check advise but any views from the panel? Seems to be more oil than I'd expect to be around in a healthy cylinder/combustion space.

If it's just a seal then I'll get it replaced but given it's for chop as soon as I can source a suitable new model Berlingo or Partner I'm not paying head off or strip down kind of money.
 Citroen Xantia - 00 1997 HDi 110 Oil Loss - Manatee
If it's around the head there can't be too many places it's coming from. Cam cover gasket? Camshaft oil seal?

Are there drips where you park it? If it's leaking all that, there should be.
 Citroen Xantia - 00 1997 HDi 110 Oil Loss - Bromptonaut
>> Are there drips where you park it? If it's leaking all that, there should be.
>>
>>
>>

The engine is canted 70 degrees to rear so oil leaking around rocker cover or injectors at 'front ' of transverse unit collects in the various recesses cast into head. Give the head is hot it tends to 'cook' there.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 18 Aug 13 at 18:38
 Citroen Xantia - 00 1997 HDi 110 Oil Loss - Zero
I guess you have two issues. Leaking rocker cover and a seal on the injector. You would never have known about the injector if it wasnt for the oil.....
 Citroen Xantia - 00 1997 HDi 110 Oil Loss - -
If its injector blow by then be very glad its outside the engine and not at this very minute coking the whole inside of the engine up, especially oilways as it does with too many modern designs...never did like injectors hidden inside.

Stick some absorbent rags in the nooks and crannies and swap 'em for clean when soaked for now?
Latest Forum Posts