Technical Car/Motor Issues > General Question - Removing fingerprints from paintwork Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Gromit Replies: 3

General Question - Removing fingerprints from paintwork - Gromit
Hello all,
Has the forum any suggestions on how to remove fingerprints from metallic black paintwork?

Fresh from a drive-through wash/wax/dry jobbie, I can see clear halos from finger and hand prints around the rear door handles and front door sills. There's also a mark on the left front wing that looks a bit like a mark left by overalls rubbing against the panel as somebody leaned into the engine bay.

The surface of the paint does not appear to have been damaged, though - its as smooth as the rest of the panel, with no bumps or ridges that suggest an excessively sun-creamed hand was at fault. I think this is good news - the glycol used in toiletries is also an ingredient in paint, so it can damage the paint surface.

The car was hand polished last January, after which the marks - except the overalls one - were less visible, but it obviously didn't remove whatever the root cause was. I'm reluctant to machine polish it too deeply, as the black lacquer is thin and rather fragile.

If the marks can't be removed, suggestions for a good polish that would conceal them instead is also welcome!
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 16 Aug 13 at 12:37
 General Question - Removing fingerprints from paintwork - Manatee
>> I can see clear halos from finger and hand prints around the rear door handles and front door sills

Door sills? Are you sure they are hand/fingerprints?

Not surprised a car wash doesn't touch them - if they were effective there's be no paint left on any of the corners after a couple of years regular use. Horrible things. Needs a decent hand wash, then a re-polish. Mer has a very slight cutting action, might be worth a try.
 General Question - Removing fingerprints from paintwork - VxFan
>> Mer has a very slight cutting action, might be worth a try.

Using a clay bar prior to this may also help.
 General Question - Removing fingerprints from paintwork - Gromit
Many thanks gents! Apologies for any confusion, Manatee, I used the wrong word in describing where the marks are.

Recalling that Subarus (until the current models) had frameless side windows, the handprint mark is on the A pillar where the windows seals against it once the door is closed. I imagine from the level it is at that somebody reach forward to hold onto the pillar to support themselves sitting into the car.

As it happens, there's a can of Mer knocking about somewhere in the garage at home (and also a bottle of some sort of AutoGlym stuff labelled as being specially for dark paints). I'll try the Mer first, then the AutoGlym, then Dave's suggestion of a clay bar if they don't work.

Progress report (and before/after photo if I can manage to capture the offending marks) in due course...
Latest Forum Posts