Technical Car/Motor Issues > Ford Focus III - 13 1.6 Auto-dimming mirror
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 11

Ford Focus III - 13 1.6 Auto-dimming mirror - L'escargot
How do auto-dimming mirrors work? Is there an electrical connection to the mirror, or is the mirror self-contained? Mine just appears to change colour to a light blue-green.
 Ford Focus III - 13 1.6 Auto-dimming mirror - Manatee
Electrochromic technology.

www.ehow.com/how-does_5003057_auto-dimming-mirrors-work.html
 Ford Focus III - 13 1.6 Auto-dimming mirror - Dave_
There's an electrical connection to the mirror, or at least there was to the mirror in the scrapyard Mondeo Ghia that I cannibalised for its rear interior light a while back.

There should be a daylight sensor on the "back" of the mirror, i.e. the black plastic side facing out of the windscreen. Cover that with your finger in the daytime and the mirror should dim noticeably as it detects ambient light falling on the reflective surface.

FWIW I don't like em. They don't go dark enough for me when they do dip, and don't react at all when driving directly away from the setting sun. I'd rather have a manually moveable one.
 Ford Focus III - 13 1.6 Auto-dimming mirror - carmalade
I have a 2006 mondeo with auto dip mirror and find it good in operation.My previous Mondeo (2001 year)had an "off" switch on the mirror housing.Luckily I don't have auto dip door mirrors.A friend has a BMW X6 and the passenger mirror glass got broken(electro/chromatic),the cost of the glass was around £250!A mere bargain.
 Ford Focus III - 13 1.6 Auto-dimming mirror - Dave_
>> the cost of the glass was around £250!

They're only £96 for the Saab (the offside door mirror glass was cracked when I got it). As I'm not particularly keen on the feature I fitted a 12 quid non-dimming glass just before MoT time - still heated and aspherical though.
>> FWIW I don't like em. They don't go dark enough for me when they do
>> dip, ............

They're my feelings as well.
 Ford Focus III - 13 1.6 Auto-dimming mirror - -
Something else to add to the list of 'no thanks'.

Managed perfectly well all these years without such tripe.
 Ford Focus III - 13 1.6 Auto-dimming mirror - Zero
Not tripe, autodimming rear view mirrors are fabulous. Get used to one and its a pain going back.

I wonder why L'es bought a new car, nothing about it seems to be right.
>> I wonder why L'es bought a new car, nothing about it seems to be right.

The power/performance is right. 182PS, 0-62mph in 7.9 seconds, maximum speed 139mph. L'escargot by name but not by nature.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 12 Aug 13 at 09:29
 Ford Focus III - 13 1.6 Auto-dimming mirror - Zero
but you wont be doing 0-62 in 7.9, or 139mph, because you will be trying to get the unachievable official combined mpg.........

Using all 182 things will leave terrible dips in your MPG spreadsheet...
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 12 Aug 13 at 09:41
>> but you wont be doing 0-62 in 7.9, or 139mph, because you will be trying
>> to get the unachievable official combined mpg.........
>>
>> Using all 182 things will leave terrible dips in your MPG spreadsheet...
>>

I keep records of how many mpg it does purely out of interest, but I'm not interested from the aspect of how much it costs me to keep putting petrol in it.
 Ford Focus III - 13 1.6 Auto-dimming mirror - VxFan
Only issue I've ever had with mine is that it's not that responsive in areas with street lighting. A quick flick of the interior light wakes up the sensor though and darkens the mirror.

I much prefer them to the old "flick a lever" type of mirror, that is when they work properly.
Latest Forum Posts