Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen Polo III - whining noise
Thread Author: zookeeper Replies: 10

Volkswagen Polo III - whining noise - zookeeper
hi gang, ive got this whining/ droning noise from the front of the car, now it flew through the MOT last week and nothing was picked up, the front right had a new wheel bearing about 12 months ago so im ruling that out
another thing is it all goes quiet on right hand bends but immediately comes back when i straighten out... ive been around and checked each corner for any play in the wheels but everything seems good, any help would be appreciated.....thanks
 Volkswagen Polo III - whining noise - Manatee
Left front wheel bearing, if you are lucky. A drive shaft if you aren't. Neither would be an issue, sorry problem, for the MOT unless there was play at the hub.
 Volkswagen Polo III - whining noise - Zero
Yeah, if one bearing has gone the other wont be far behind. Get it changed when the noise issue gets louder and becomes a potential no-wheel problem.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 1 Aug 13 at 08:26
 Volkswagen Polo III - whining noise - Alanovich
Australian cricket fan stuck in the grille. HTH.
Nah cant be, the whining is not that loud..
 Volkswagen Polo III - whining noise - Number_Cruncher
>>Yeah, if one bearing has gone the other wont be far behind.

Although it might very wellbe the other wheel bearing causing the noise, rolling element bearings don't behave like that - there isn't a linear wear process that's responsible for failure - it's far more random than that.

One thing which will make both bearings fail at similar times is if they have both been abused at the same time - hammering to get a brake disc off perhaps.

>> >>Yeah, if one bearing has gone the other wont be far behind.
>>
>> Although it might very wellbe the other wheel bearing causing the noise, rolling element bearings
>> don't behave like that - there isn't a linear wear process that's responsible for failure
>> - it's far more random than that.

Given that they were both manufactured from the same batch of materials, and heat treated, lubricated manufactured and assembled in the same way, and have carried the same loads and forces for the same length of time, why is it not linear?
 Volkswagen Polo III - whining noise - Number_Cruncher
Because the failure mechanism for rolling element bearings isn't pure wear. The bearings fail via a fatigue mechanism where the crack begins at a sub-surface defect.

The initial defects are too small to be detected, and are distributed randomly through the bearing material.

If you get an individual bearing with a slightly larger defect, or a defect which is aligned normally to the principal stress direction, or located exactly at the location where the stress is highest (again, this is below the surface), then, you'll get a bearing with a very short life.

This is included in bearing design, sizing, and lifing calculations, where the so-called L10 life is used - the life where 10% of the bearings will have failed.

You can't design a mechanism with rolling element bearings to be absolutely free from bearing failures, and you have to accept that if you make thousands of items, you WILL get some bearing warranty returns.

Volkswagen Polo III - whining noise - L'escargot
I've noticed a similar noise on occasions. It's always been coming from 'er indoors sat on the front passenger seat!
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 1 Aug 13 at 13:05
 Volkswagen Polo III - whining noise - zookeeper
thanks guys, can i add... the noise is most prevelent at between 40 - 60 mph, is it safe to drive presently ? i recall having a montego back in the day with similar symptoms but a bit more grindier, i recall taking the rear brake drum off and a load of ball bearings fell out.... i was at a shell garage at the time and had to get home, i popped the bearings back in the grease and drove home......cheers zoo
 Volkswagen Polo III - whining noise - -
I wouldn't leave it long, i've known the bearings seize and start spinning the inner race on the hub, scrap hub.

By the way logic says its the left side bearing noisy under load, but i've known (and got the T shirt to prove) a time when it turned out to be the inner bearing on the other side, very difficult to diagnose which side as there was no detectable wear or sound when jacked up and spinning freely.

Give me those lovely adjustable taper rollers on the MB, repack with new grease every few years readjust up and touch wood still on the same bearings.
Latest Forum Posts