Technical Car/Motor Issues > Toyota Auris - 07 1.6 Handbrake adjustment Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 6

Toyota Auris - 07 1.6 Handbrake adjustment - sooty123
Our Auris has a problem holding on the handbrake on hills making moving off at say traffic lights a bit tricky. I'm pretty sure there are no drums just discs on the back. Anyone adjusted them before? There is no Haynes manual for Auris (that I can find) so think there is a nut somewhere in the cabin, but I'm not too sure where.
 Toyota Auris - 07 1.6 Handbrake adjustment - -
Before getting involved in cable adjustment which is always the very last thing you adjust anyway, i'd remove the rear pads and examine them and the discs, they might be the problem themselves or their might be problem with the caliper self adjusters.

Pads can look fine and appear to have ample material, but they can be in poor condition once looked at properly, this modern method of servicing where a techie peers through or from behind a wheel at the calipers and a quarter inch of side view of pads then pronounces all is well and squirts brake cleaner liberally about is rubbish.

Handbrake cable adjuster is possibly on the cable just behind the handrake lever, or might be inside the lever if you stand on your head with a torch and look, or it might be underneath where the cable splits into two.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Fri 12 Jul 13 at 10:21
I did think that at first, however the pads and discs haven't been on for too long. I think they were done about 20k ago, but I'll try and have a look this weekend.
 Toyota Auris - 07 1.6 Handbrake adjustment - Zero
>> I did think that at first, however the pads and discs haven't been on for
>> too long. I think they were done about 20k ago, but I'll try and have
>> a look this weekend.

20k? whats that, 18 months? two years? Plenty of time for the rear pads/calipers/mechanism to become cruddy and sticky. Problem with modern cars is all the stopping power is up front, the rear brakes don't get enough exercise.
My point was more about the wear on the pads and the friction or lack of.
Just a bit more info. I've finally had a chance to have look at the paper work and a quick nosey at the brakes. I misread the bill, they were done at 20,000 miles so 47000 miles ago. There looks to be lipping on the discs about 1-2mm, I'll try and get it up on a jack and get the wheel off and have a proper look. But might be a good time to change the discs and pads?
Had a good look with handbrake operated on and off. It's got a 'c link' (?) that pivots, a spring on one one and a cable with a ball end. N/S operates fine, O/F side cable operates back and forward, however the link doesn't move. The spring is fully extended like the brakes are stuck on, yet with the car on a jack it spins fine can't hear anything. Could it still be a sticky piston?
Latest Forum Posts