Technical Car/Motor Issues > Vauxhall Corsa B - 96 1.2 Failed screen washer pump... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Haywain Replies: 33

Vauxhall Corsa B - 96 1.2 Failed screen washer pump... - Haywain
I've been looking after my son's Corsa since he broke his leg in a fall on the ice and, when I took it out for a spin a couple of days ago, the windscreen washer pump had stopped working. Neither the front nor rear screen washers are working; I am making the assumption that the same pump should operate both.

Logically, it could be the switch, the pump, or a fuse that has failed.

!. Am I correct in thinking that, if I connect a voltmeter between the connectors for the pump, then when the switch is operated, I should see a 12v (or thereabouts) reading? And that this would demonstrate without doubt that the problem lay with the pump?

2. Does anyone know which fuse is used for the washer pump? I can see from the handbook that there is a fuse space designated for the 'headlamp washer' - but there doesn't appear to be one for windscreen washer.

3. Any of you chaps ever changed the screen washer pump on a Corsa? Is it a tricky task? Is it one of those faults that occur regularly on models of a certain age?

Thanks, chaps.

Vauxhall Corsa B - 96 1.2 Failed screen washer pump... - FotheringtonTomas
>> Neither the front nor rear screen washers are working

They're not frozen, are they (or the resevoir)?

>> Logically it could be the switch the pump or a fuse that has failed.

Voltmeter to terminal and earth, press switch.

12V across the pump to see whether it goes.
 Vauxhall Corsa B - 96 1.2 Failed screen washer pump... - VxFan
>> I am making the assumption that the same pump should operate both.

Yep, depending on whether you want to squirt the front or rear screen, the polarity going to the motor is either one way or the other.

>> 2. Does anyone know which fuse is used for the washer pump?

I've been right through the data I have available and can't find it listed either. A common fault on these however does tend to be the wiper switch.
 Vauxhall Corsa B - 96 1.2 Failed screen washer pump... - Bellboy
pumps go
its the law
if you are very dextrous you can undo the bottle move it to the left and change it in situ
if you have big clumsy hands you will need to remove windscreen wipers and plastic scuttle cover now read the next bit carefully
first time i did a pump on a corsa i took the scuttle out and when i replaced it it stuck so i carefully tapped it,i caused a cracked screen from the pressure point i caused
one final thought on this model they have a rubber filter on the bottom of the pump which is very susceptible to clogging up and causing your problem, the giveaway is actually hearing the pump but getting no water
Last edited by: old grouser on Fri 26 Feb 10 at 20:38
>> one final thought on this model they have a rubber filter on the bottom of the pump which is very susceptible to clogging up ....

Not restricted to this model. Happens on all Vauxhall models, even the latest ones.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 26 Feb 10 at 22:31
Many thanks for the comments. Depending on the weather, I should be able to take a look at it on Sunday. If I can hear the motor trying to operate (though, I have to admit, I couldn't hear it from the car interior) and the filter is clogged, can it be cleaned without removing the whole thing?

I wonder if earlier frost might have damaged the pump? The water certainly wasn't frozen at the time I tried it.

Cheers Haywaino
if you can get pump out then the hose pipe in the bottle top is usually sufficient to cleanse everything (all the black goo) and leave the grommet in situ
I've just ventured out to the Corsa with a multimeter in between the last shower and advancing darkness.

Firstly, I asked Mrs Haywain to attempt to operate the washers - the pump appeared dead - not a sound.

I then connected the multimeter between the leads and earth. The needle flicked about giving anything upto about 6 volts. I couldn't work out what was going on, but this suggested to me a dodgy switch.

Anyway, I suppose the next thing is to put a wire directly from the battery to a pump terminal for the definitive test on the pump. If the pump works, it'll have to be the switch. Alas, this will have to wait until daylight.
 Vauxhall Corsa B - 96 1.2 Failed screen washer pump... - Runfer D'Hills
Meanwhile buy a water pistol ( seriously it works )
Humph, do you think think that a pukka water pistol would appeal to the MoT tester more than an old Fairy Liquid bottle?
 Vauxhall Corsa B - 96 1.2 Failed screen washer pump... - Runfer D'Hills
Heh heh ! Worth a try. Probably not the best thing to be waving about out of the window in certain areas......
 Vauxhall Corsa B - 96 1.2 Failed screen washer pump... - rtj70
Driving across Scotland the other week when it was minus 7 deg C. Washers etc working when I set out but the nozzles soon froze.

Stopping in lay-bys with a water bottle with one of those sports type nozzles cleared the screen.

Eventually stopped to find hot water (early morning) to defrost them. Driving on the A74(M) they soon froze again. The washer liquid was pretty potent though and stank from the washer liquid.

The water pistol that day would have been very useful.
Last edited by: welshy on Sun 28 Feb 10 at 20:09
Drat! I connected a wire directly from the battery positive to a terminal on the pump (actually, I tried each terminal in turn) and it was as dead as a dodo.

It looks like the problem is the pump itself.

I am correct in thinking that working windscreen washers are an MoTable item, aren't I?
Last edited by: Haywain on Mon 1 Mar 10 at 09:41
 Vauxhall Corsa B - 96 1.2 Failed screen washer pump... - Zero
you are, its a failure if they dont squirt water on the screen
 Vauxhall Corsa B - 96 1.2 Failed screen washer pump... - bathtub tom
You could buy a cheap in-line pump for the front washers as a quick fix. The rear isn't tested.
I see an organisation called 'VauxWorld' are advertising the front/rear pump for £5.95 on ebay. Anyone used them? I guess the genuine part would cost a whole lot more.

Vauxhall Corsa B - 96 1.2 Failed screen washer pump... - Zero
halfords sell washer pumps
>> I guess the genuine part would cost a whole lot more.

Why not ask. You might be surprised. You could also try asking www.autovaux.co.uk - but the postage & packing could well be dearer than popping down to your local Vauxhall dealer or car accessory shop.
Just to bring this one to a conclusion....

My first son was back home for a few days - and he has a friend who used to work for the local Vauxhall dealer, and he would check it out. The question then was, how quickly we would we be able to get any necessary parts once a positive diagnosis had been made [I had already failed to get it to run with a direct supply from the battery]. Luckily, I am acquainted with a chap who runs a local motor factors and, not only did he have the correct pump in stock, we could test-run it on the Corsa's power supply to verify that the pump was the problem; it was. The new pump cost a few quid more than a 'web' one, but it meant that we could get the job done in the same day - and we knew it was the right one.

Thanks again for your comments.
 Vauxhall Corsa B - 96 1.2 Failed screen washer pump... - Ant76
Hi,

i found this thread when searching about my problem, so am new to this forum. My problem seems to be the same as what yours was, though maybe a slight difference.

I noticed the other day that my washer spray wasnt working, at the time i thought it was prob because of how cold it was in the morning... but just checked again and still nothing, not even the motor sound, and there's plenty of water/screen wash in the bottle.

My pump is less than a year old (was from halfords) as when i got the car there was a pump problem, and has been fine ever since

i have also checked the fuse (windscreen one in manual, yes) and swapped over with another green-30 one and same again, wipers move but not a peep from the motor.. surely it's not the motor if less than a year old?

I'm thinking could it be the wires that connect to the pump? what did you find was your solution in the end as i think mine may be the same.

Ant
Welcome to C4P Ant,

if you've not got access to a multimeter, then a 12 volt bulb with a couple of wires attached will test to see if any voltage is reaching the washer motor. If the bulb lights up then that will almost certainly confirm the motor is dead.
Hi, thanks.
i dont have one, where's best to buy them?

Wilkinsons? supermarket? or do i have to go to a halfords or such place?

i am right in thinking it would be controlled on the fuse for the washers or is there a different one? tried Fuse 16 (for washers) swapped with another and still the same, noticed some forums mention tail/boot lock fuse being linked but on astra models. maybe i blew it when i tried it at 6:30am the other morning, not sure though
I picked up my digital multimeter from a Sunday market for something like £4. Took it to work to compare with the £100 we bought from RS and voltages, resistances, and the like were comparable on both meters. Obviously the £4 lacked the quality of the £100 one, but it's good enough to be left in the car.

Anyway, that aside, you can pick one up from a lot of places these days, but as said, a 12 volt bulb and 2 wires will be sufficient to test the feed to the washer motor.

Not sure which fuse it is, I tried looking it up previously but too no avail.

The Astra you're referring to is the Mk5 (Astra-H). It won't apply to your Corsa.
fuse top right 3rd one in
top right third one in, is "empty" on my corsa, but the manual says that is for
"Headlamp wash system" which doesnt apply on this model. i am right in thinking the screen wash is on the same fuse as the wipers (fuse 16, bottom left) which i did check. >> fuse top right 3rd one in

>>
Last edited by: Ant76 on Sun 18 Apr 10 at 11:15
do as VxFan says then with the bulb and wire as an assistyaunt pushes the lever in the car (ignition on remember) for the record i ordered a pump from the factors a few weeks ago and its abysmal in power to the factory fitted one.
i know this will sound silly to you guys as you obviosuly know what you're talking about..
but what/where do i put the bulb and wire?
do i stick the wire in the end of the 2 bits that plug into the pump part?

sorry for the n00bishness, but it's my first car... and just typical that the time i've ever had any issues with the car it's the damn screenwash/pump twice! (hence why it was repalced about September with a new pump) everything else is fine.. well, the drivers seat doesnt flip forward, but that's no real loss as there's usually only 1-2 people in the car.

sorry/thanks again. i'll need to wait till someone's over so cant test that today + still need to get the multimeter dont i.

>> do i stick the wire in the end of the 2 bits that plug into the pump part?

That's pretty much what you have to do. One wire in each of the two holes in the connector plug. Doesn't matter which wire goes in each hole as the polarity gets reversed when you change from squirting the front windscreen to the rear one, hence why there is only the one pump.
Hi i picked up a cheapish digital multimeter from B&Q.. i managed to unpack it, take the seal of the battery etc, but the instructions are next to useless, they dont "really2 tell me how to use it, they assume i already am an electrician i think, so hopefully someone can help me. do i need to measure AC/Dc volts or DC milliamps and Dc amps? , as it has a dial and i dont know how to tell the difference...

there's a dial , left hand side has a V and goes 600, 200, 20, 2, 200m, 2m, 20k 2k 200 and ont he right hand side the're an A and the dial goes 600, 200, 200u, 2m, 20m, 200m, 10A, hFE, (then a speaker symbol)

if i'm wanting to measure the screenwash current thingy, i thought it was 12volt? (yes) but where would i set the dial, there's no 12 setting...
You need to set it to the DC range, and on the 20 volt setting. That will allow you to measure voltages between 0 & 20 volts. If you did measure anything higher then I suspect the display will show OL (overload) and you would then need to select another higher number until the OL message disappears and the measured voltage appears.

If you wanted to measure the current being drawn then you would have to connect the meter in series with the motor electrics. That would entail disconnecting one of the two wires from the motor and connecting one probe of the meter to the motor and the other probe to the disconnected wire. You would also need to change the range on the meter to DC amps.
 Vauxhall Corsa B - 96 1.2 Failed screen washer pump... - swiss tony
have a look here:
ecmweb.com/mag/electric_basics_digital_multimeters/
ah, that multimeter link will come in handy.
i managed to sort the problem,. it was infact the pump, so took it back to halfords and got it exchanged. it had only lasted about 7 or 8 months!!
but thanks for the help and info guys.

Well done Ant, and thanks for the update.
 Vauxhall Corsa B - 96 1.2 Failed screen washer pump... - brandon mitchell
Maybe it's the fuse. I had the same problem with my washer
pump and all I did was check the fuse and everything is okay. Are your washer pump compatible with your windshield wiper system?

link to supplier removed as comes across as free advertising
Last edited by: Webmaster on Wed 1 Sep 10 at 15:25
Latest Forum Posts