Technical Car/Motor Issues > Vauxhall Astra H estate - 07 1.3 Replacing a headlight dip-beam bulb... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Haywain Replies: 5

Vauxhall Astra H estate - 07 1.3 Replacing a headlight dip-beam bulb... - Haywain
With a long journey to make in the Astra H estate on Sunday, I just noticed the Insp2 light on the panel - telling me that the driver's side dip headlight had failed. With just tomorrow to sort it out, can anyone tell me what the replacement bulb type is, please, and pass on any tips re replacement?

I suspect it's an H7 bulb and that I have to go in via a cover under the wheel-arch, but I haven't had to change a bulb on this car yet.

Suggestions gratefully received!
 Vauxhall Astra H estate - 07 1.3 Replacing a headlight dip-beam bulb... - carmalade
Definitely an H7 bulb .Access through wheel arch,behind removeable plastic cover.Not too bad a job.(unlike Renault Migraine).I would use a genuine GM bulb,not cheap,at around £9,but certainly last longer than the cheapos for £3.hth
 Vauxhall Astra H estate - 07 1.3 Replacing a headlight dip-beam bulb... - Number_Cruncher
Yes, it's worth giving the wheel arch liner a clean before trying to fit the bulb - especially if it's at all wet / slushy.

After removing the plastic cover, there's a rubber cap on the back of the headlamp unit, and the bulb's inside. The wires are long enough to enable you to withdraw the bulb and wires far enough to work on. It's worth being careful and gentle when putting it back together - if you need to apply much force, you've got something the wrong way round, or a wire trapped.

Vauxhall Astra H estate - 07 1.3 Replacing a headlight dip-beam bulb... - Haywain
Great, thanks for the replies - it's a pity I can't wait for some better weather!

That's a good point re the quality of the bulb; I received that good advice some years ago when my wife's Focus kept blowing the cheapie bulbs. I changed them for the branded variety - and I haven't had to change one since.
 Vauxhall Astra H estate - 07 1.3 Replacing a headlight dip-beam bulb... - swiss tony
>> That's a good point re the quality of the bulb; I received that good advice some years ago when my wife's Focus kept blowing the cheapie bulbs. I changed them for the branded variety - and I haven't had to change one since.
>>

Same goes for most parts.

If people get a chance, pop into a Mercedes parts department, most have a display of genuine and aftermarket parts, to show the difference in quality (nor cheap aftermarket btw - makes like Bosch!) it's a real eye-opener.

The same difference in quality stands true for most makes of vehicle, to a greater or lesser extent... You REALLY do get a better quality part if you steer clear of factors.
Job done! I called at the local Vauxhall dealer first thing and bought 2 genuine GM H7 bulbs at £8.28 each - so I've got a spare now.

Tip - have a mate with you who can shine a torch up under the wheel-arch, and help haul you back onto your feet again afterwards (I'm 63 with arthritis of the lower spine). We were fortunate in that, while the rest of the country seems to be inches deep in snow, there's been none to speak of in East Anglia, so the forecourt was dry enough to lie back on.

The tricky bits were:
Fiddling about with the cover because one of the edges had been previously mislocated inside the wheel-arch liner.
The bulb holder was pretty stiff in the housing, and you wren't quite sure how much force to use in order to free it. The bulb was also held quite tightly in the housing.
Relocating the rubber cover was a bit fiddley as you couldn't see what you were doing - we surmised, a bit like fitting a Dutch cap.

We can imagine that it's a job that at least 80% of owners would leave to a garage - especially in a temperature of 1 degree C! Ah - it's snowing here now!
Latest Forum Posts