Technical Car/Motor Issues > Vauxhall - Vivaro 1.9dti 2004 poor acceleration Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Videodoctor Replies: 3

Vauxhall - Vivaro 1.9dti 2004 poor acceleration - Videodoctor
I have a Vauxhall Vivaro van 1.9 dti on an 04 plate.The van always starts first time and ticks over just fine.The problem i have is the van's acceleration is very flat below 2000 rpm and then the turbo kicks in and it accelerates much better.It is particularly bad when cold.After the van warms up its better but is still down on power.The van will not rev past 4200rpm even when hot.When starting from cold i can hear a wooing sound coming from the passenger side bulk head but disappears when its warmed up.

I have removed the egr valve and it was caked in muck.I have cleaned it and made sure its now moving.I cannot confirm that it works electrically though.
I have also removed the MAF sensor and cleaned it with maf sensor cleaner.Also the small pipes near the egr valve have been cleaned and one at the back of the egr valve was found to be blocked.

Cleaning these items hasn't made any difference to the acceleration problem.

I don't have any access to any code readers but there are no fault lights on the dash.

Other possible causes i have been told are the cam sensor,temperature sensor and the exhaust being blocked.

I know its a long shot but does anyone know what mainly causes poor acceleration and inability to rev past 4200 rpm?

Are there any tests i can carry out? Someone said about unplugging the maf sensor and seeing if i runs better.Is this a good idea?

Also we had a fault many years ago with the van stalling and dozens of fault codes coming up.It turned out it was the plug and socket multiplug under the bonnet that had come loose.Is it worth cleaning the contacts on this plug or is the fault different?

Sorry for not being technical but i would like to try and solve this without taking it to Vauxhall.
Last edited by: Videodoctor on Mon 11 Mar 13 at 22:17
 Vauxhall - Vivaro 1.9dti 2004 poor acceleration - carmalade
I have seen similar issues on these with no fault codes logged.In many cases the problem is fixed with a new maf sensor,even though the diagnostic system does not log this fault.hth
 Vauxhall - Vivaro 1.9dti 2004 poor acceleration - MD
I'm with carmalade. Had it twice on the Renault Master.
 Vauxhall - Vivaro 1.9dti 2004 poor acceleration - Videodoctor
Fixed the fault now thanks.Replacing the maf sensor and the high pressure fuel sensor cured the fault.Now runs like a new van.

Latest Forum Posts