Technical Car/Motor Issues > Peugeot 407 SW - 05 2.0 Intermittant turbo problem?
Thread Author: hillman1 Replies: 8

Peugeot 407 SW - 05 2.0 Intermittant turbo problem? - hillman1
I have recently started driving the Peugeot as one of our pool cars at work. It seems to have an intermittent fault with the turbo and I was wondering if anyone could give any pointers.
Generally seems fine to drive but on several journeys recently when on a motorway when going uphill it seems the turbo stops working to the extent that to get to the top you are having to drop down to 4th gear and the speed is falling away rapidly.
It has happened 3 times now, each time rectified by turning the engine off and then on again.
No other apparent symptoms, no lights on the dashboard for example, but fuel economy is not as good as I would have expected.
Thanks.
 Peugeot 407 SW - 05 2.0 Intermittant turbo problem? - Zero
I would give it a damn good thrashing around the red line to see what soot comes out.
Done that, several times :)

No soot :(

Peugeot 407 SW - 05 2.0 Intermittant turbo problem? - carmalade
Very possibly a fault with the turbo actuator which is attached to the turbo unit.This is an electronic unit.It can be replaced seperately but it is such a pig of a job to do,most workshops would only repalce the whole unit .Allow around £2k to fix it ,if that is the problem.hth
 Peugeot 407 SW - 05 2.0 Intermittant turbo problem? - VxFan
Being a pool car, I imagine it gets a regular thrashing ;)

Not wishing to teach granny to suck eggs, but when going uphill are you letting the revs drop off to the extent that the turbo no longer works properly?
Actually it tends not to get thrashed too much and we haven't had it too long.

Nope the revs aren't dropping off in that way. When the fault occurs it feels like a normally aspirated diesel (although I don't think they make them any more) until the engine is restarted.

Hope it isn't the £2k fix.

Thanks

So...

Car was taken to the local garage and the plug in suggested a 'control valve solenoid' (I think0 from the top of my head)

Duly replaced.

Fault still there....

Next..

I have managed to find a way to get up hills at motorway (ish) speeds without it happening but it needs some planning.

Fuel economy not what I would expect- I did a Kent-Birmingham-Kent journey yesterday generally travelling between 65-75 with the occasional 80 and the trip read 44mpg- I would have expected better?

Peugeot 407 SW - 05 2.0 Intermittant turbo problem? - carmalade
Looks like you are getting closer to that £2k fix!!
£1868 to go!
Latest Forum Posts