Technical Car/Motor Issues > Nissan Almera - 99 16 N15 ABS fault - Solenoid Valve Relay
Thread Author: Hugo Replies: 34

Nissan Almera - 99 16 N15 ABS fault - Solenoid Valve Relay - Hugo
I have the following fault on my ABS system

Apart from replacing the relays controlling the ABS, which I have tried, is there anywhere else I should look?

One sensor has already been replaced.

Thanks
 Nissan Almera - 99 16 N15 ABS fault - Solenoid Valve Relay - carmalade
There are 2 types of abs system fitted to this car.Whichever one is fitted,the solenoid relay is a non-replaceable item,it is integrated onto the circuit board.However a few more voltage checks need to be done at the abs unit first.Is there a part # on the abs unit?hth
Thanks for the response there - much appreciated!

I'll get the part number tomorrow.

I did however come across a couple of plug in relays that sit on a box above the pump. Haynes seem to indicate that one of them is the solenoid relay - though Haynes isn't always correct.

Speak soon
 Nissan Almera - 99 16 N15 ABS fault - Solenoid Valve Relay - Kevin
Carmalade, you've made some helpful posts in technical recently.

Why don't you order a shandy and take a seat in the other forums with the rest of us?
Right

Been out with the torch and camera.....

The part number of the block with the pump in it is 47600 2N200

The Part number of the thing that the relays plugged into is 47605 40Y00
Last edited by: Hugo on Sun 13 Jan 13 at 20:27
I would have hoped that this car was fitted with Bosch abs system,but looking at those numbers they do not tally.Is there any makers name on the abs unit?
Just done a google on that part number and found this

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-ALMERA-1999-ABS-PUMP-0130108094-/300612704030

It looks to be the same as my unit and it is by Bosch. The part number is the same
i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae90/Hugosp/20130113_200944.jpg

That is the pump and modulator etc...
Looks like a japanese Bosch unit made under license.These are different to the european models.If the relays are removable,you could try swapping with the pump relay,if they are similar.hth
One relay has 5 terminals and the other has 4.

Here's a picture. i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae90/Hugosp/20130113_200929.jpg

The valve relay seems to have 5 terminals - one which grounds to earth. The pump relay has 4.

I have swapped both relays out for new ones, bought from Polevolt using the numbers on the relays. I've also tested the board that they slot into, making sure all the terminal connections bleep out etc.
Last edited by: Hugo on Sun 13 Jan 13 at 22:38
 Nissan Almera - 99 16 N15 ABS fault - Solenoid Valve Relay - Number_Cruncher
ABS units can be among the first to complain if the battery voltage isn't right - it's worth making sure that the battery and alternator are working correctly.

Obviously, it's also worth making sure the power supply and earth connections to the ABS unit are in good condition before spending any money.
>> ABS units can be among the first to complain if the battery voltage isn't right
>> - it's worth making sure that the battery and alternator are working correctly.
>>
>> Obviously, it's also worth making sure the power supply and earth connections to the ABS
>> unit are in good condition before spending any money.

Thanks for that. The car did have a problem starting the other day. I jump started it off the Ka.

Time to check output voltages I think.....

The earth near the unit seemed to be suitably low resistance.
 Nissan Almera - 99 16 N15 ABS fault - Solenoid Valve Relay - Pat
Is that also the case with lorries Number_Cruncher?

We have the usual unexplained ABS problems and it's usually due to grit between the sensors on the discs, but often these are cleaned and the problen still exists.

Pat
 Nissan Almera - 99 16 N15 ABS fault - Solenoid Valve Relay - Number_Cruncher
Sorry - I don't know Pat - ABS was just beginning to appear on new trucks when I stopped working on them.
 Nissan Almera - 99 16 N15 ABS fault - Solenoid Valve Relay - Pat
I think you got out at the right time! Thanks anyway.

Pat
The wiring diagram I have for this shows a seperate control unit remote from the main abs modulator.Is this the system fitted to your car?
There is a separate ABS ECU in the passenger footwell. That is in addition to those relays above the modulator in the engine bay.

That is connected to the modulator via cables going through the bulkhead.

I think the answer is yes.....

The part number (nissan) of the modulator is 47600 2N200.
Last edited by: Hugo on Mon 14 Jan 13 at 17:34
If the fault is showing as a solenoid valve relay problem,then we could be looking at a possible wiring issue between the modulator and ecu.Disconnect the ecu multi plug ,and check resistance/continuity across pins 2 and 37.Make sure the relays are in place.
Right, thanks for that.

I've got continuity between pins 2 and 37. However I am getting quite a high resistance. 97 ohms or thereabouts? Mind you my multimeter isn't great and hardly calibrated quality.

Awaiting next instructions - it's cold and dark out there!
That sounds good.You are measuring the relay actuator coil from the ecu wiring.Next test ;check for battery power at relay socket (ignition off).This is from the fuse box via a 30 amp fuse.
OK this is weird. Continuity isn't all - must check voltage too!

I removed both relays and checked all the terminals.

On the 5 terminal relay (I think that's for the solenoid valve) I got some 0.37v out of the only live terminal (terminal 87 on the relay itself).

OK, next instruction - unless we've found the problem lol!
Should add, I pulled the other relay out and got around 12v out of one of the slots for the large terminals on the switched side. I think this is the motor relay - 4 terminal.>> OK this is weird. Continuity isn't all - must check voltage too!
Terminal 87 at both relays should be a solid 12volt supply from the fuse box.(non ignition).try that.
Yup - embarrassed to say, the circuit diagram in the Haynes manual implies the same.

It's definitely starved of voltage at terminal 87 in the relay board of the 5 connector relay. But terminal 87 on the other relay is a solid 12v.

That is measured without the ignition on.

It looks like the problem may be between fusebox 3 (where the 2 fusible links are supplying both relays) and terminal 87 on the relay board.

Time to delve deeper perhpaps?

Are we getting close, or am I jumping to conclusions again?
Certainly getting warmer.I think I would run another temp fused supply to the missing 87 for test purposes and see the result.
I think I might do that.

Also, I may unplug the connector to the relay board and measure the voltage at the end of that. The problem could be in the relay board or the wiring running up to it.

Thanks for your help - it's really appreciated!
Of course that is just after a fusible link. Wondering if it's almost blown
I think you would see a fusible link blown,but I have seen many with a hairline fracture that are open circuit but need a close inspection to see the break.
I may test them as well.

It's good to know that the modulator (or at least the solenoid valve actuator) is OK.
It is/was the fusible link providing the switched circuit to that relay. The obd was spot on when it hilighted the relay circuit fault.

Now all I need for the mot is 2 front tyres and possibly discs and pads. The discs aren't worn but there is the slightest wobble from the front offside. It is slightly warped.

Thank you carmalade for all your help
Last edited by: Hugo on Tue 15 Jan 13 at 11:12
 Nissan Almera - 99 16 N15 ABS fault - Solenoid Valve Relay - Zero

>> pads. The discs aren't worn but there is the slightest wobble from the front offside.
>> It is slightly warped.

Not an MOT failure. "Wobble" is not even tested. The Lancer went through two MOTS with wobble before I changed the discs.
Looks like just a couple of tyres then.

This thing just keeps on going, which was why I didn't want to get rid of it!

SWMBO loves it. Come may we'll have had it 9 years. We've had this car longer than any other car we've ever had.
 Nissan Almera - 99 16 N15 ABS fault - Solenoid Valve Relay - Mr random
Hi I have an almera of the same age with an abs problem. The abs warning light is on and using the paper. Clip method the error code came out as "rear left hand outlet of solenoid valve." Any suggestions?
 Nissan Almera - 99 16 N15 ABS fault - Solenoid Valve Relay - bathtub tom
You may get a better response here: www.almeraownersclub.com/
 Nissan Almera - 99 16 N15 ABS fault - Solenoid Valve Relay - Mr random
That's who directed me here. :-)
Latest Forum Posts