Technical Car/Motor Issues > Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 04 1.3 Thermostat housing
Thread Author: Stu Replies: 4

Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 04 1.3 Thermostat housing - Stu
My wife's Ka is leaking around the thermostat housing. I've removed the old housing and found the old gasket warped and part of the inner plastic perished. The part from Ford is around £90 plus, I tried to find a aftermarket one but no one seemed to stock them so I went to several scrapyards but none had Ka's. My brother in-law sealed it with gasket sealant as a temporary measure and refitted the housing. I haven't had chance to refill the system and test it but we were not sure if it might will work. However he thinks it should seal enough not to leak too much.
I have seen several aftermarket housings on ebay that I will try as they are a lot cheaper but my question what is the best method of using of cleaning the mating surface?
Today I used cleaner degreaser and scraped it with a plastic ruler and then a light brush with a small wire brush.
Should I be doing anything different next time and if I get a new thermostat housing, should I use a gasket sealant again to really make sure it won't leak or will that cause more problems as it comes with a rubber gasket?
Thanks
Last edited by: Stu on Sat 5 Jan 13 at 22:10
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 04 1.3 Thermostat housing - carmalade
The Rocam engine fitted in these are notorious for coolant leaks around the t/stat housing,usually caused by corrosion of the aluminium cylinder head.Clean away the crud around the fittings and check that you have a flat surface for the gasket seal to mate to.Afaik,the t/stat housing is only available from Ford dealer.You could try a silcone sealant as a temp repair.Worth a go.hth
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 04 1.3 Thermostat housing - Dog
If you use a new housing with a new gasket, that should do the job, but if it still leaks at all you could use this, following the manufacturers recommendations re: the rubber gasket.

www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p14883/HYLOMAR-HYLOTYTE-RED-GASKET-COMPOUND/product_info.html
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 04 1.3 Thermostat housing - Stu
I refilled the car with coolant today and replaced the heater control valve at the same time. It seems to be running ok so far and the gasket sealant is holding enough for now. Took it for around 25 mile drive on various roads and checked the level again after it had cooled and only needed a small top up to the max line.
I'm hoping the level has dropped a little as air has come out the system but suspect is probably still leaking a little but it gives me enough time to get a cheaper part than the Ford one.

Is there a preferred way to clean mating surfaces properly as the manuals and advice just say make sure they are clean but doesn't say how. I didn't want to use anything too abrasive on the engine block so used degreaser and a plastic ruler with a small wire brush.
When I get the new housing I want to make sure the surface is very clean to prevent any further leaks. Appreciate any tips or advice on how to do this.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 04 1.3 Thermostat housing - Zero
get the Ford one and save yourself a shed load of agro.
Latest Forum Posts