Technical Car/Motor Issues > Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 03 1.8 Sanity check: is this Halfords oil OK in my Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: spamcan61 Replies: 10

Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 03 1.8 Sanity check: is this Halfords oil OK in my - spamcan61
Afternoon all.

Noticed in Halfords yesterday they have a variety(3) of high spec. own brand (allegedly Comma) oils at ridiculously cheap prices.

The web site states 'Vauxhalls from 2003' , although the handbook for my Astra just states ACEA A3 at various viscosities. A brief Google suggests that GM-LL-A-025 is essentially the long life equivalent of ACEA A3 or better. So I'm thinking this will be fine in my low rent boy racer Astra.

Sounds reasonable?

This is the oil in question:-

tinyurl.com/asscyaa

There's also these others stupidly cheap, I can only assume it's a loss leader.

tinyurl.com/a6ca8h4

tinyurl.com/as553np
 Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 03 1.8 Sanity check: is this Halfords oil OK in my - Zero
I use Halfords semi synth in the lancer, and Halfords fully synth in Nicoles Polo of the correct viscosities.

Its good oil.
 Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 03 1.8 Sanity check: is this Halfords oil OK in my - sooty123
I've used it in the past, can't say I've had any problems. I use the stuff from ECP now. Not had any engine problems with either.
 Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 03 1.8 Sanity check: is this Halfords oil OK in my - Victorbox
The 5W/30 fully synthetic offer sounds a great deal. Some might say use 10W/40 semi-synthetic but I used 0W/40 Castrol fully synthetic in a Mk3 Cavalier for years with no problems.
 Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 03 1.8 Sanity check: is this Halfords oil OK in my - spamcan61
Thanks chaps, my normal tipple is VX's branded 10w/40 oil, in 20 litre cans as it's about half the price of smaller cans that way. I've reserved 4 x 4 litres of the Halfords 5w/30 for pickup tomorrow.
 Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 03 1.8 Sanity check: is this Halfords oil OK in my - Haywain
Thanks for the heads-up - I'll be calling at Halfords in the morning as well.
 Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 03 1.8 Sanity check: is this Halfords oil OK in my - VxFan
>> Thanks chaps, my normal tipple is VX's branded 10w/40 oil,
>> I've reserved 4 x 4 litres of the Halfords 5w/30 for pickup tomorrow.

One thing to watch with a high mileage engine that uses a bit of oil, changing from the 10w/40 semi synth to the 5w/30 fully synth could well end up using more oil than normal.

Some of the guys over on vec-c.com have changed from the Vauxhall recommended 5w/30 to the 10w/40 oil for this reason.
Yeah, I'm a bit twitchy about that, although my current Astra has a 'mere' 80K on it, and doesn't appear to have used any oil since the last change 8K ago. At the price I can always fry chips or treat fences with it :-)
 Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 03 1.8 Sanity check: is this Halfords oil OK in my - Haywain
I called at Halfords this morning and bought a 5W30 and 10W40. It looks to me as though the promotion oil is in 4L packs at £10 whilst the 'usual' 5L pack is available alongside at around £25 depending on grade.
 Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 03 1.8 Sanity check: is this Halfords oil OK in my - Lygonos
Huuuuuuge mark-up on engine oil.

Halfords won't be losing money even at £10 for 4 litres, especially as many customers will be buying 8 or 12 litres at that price.

Costco sell fully synthetic 5w-30 Magnatec at about £25 for 2x4 litre packs without being a promotional price - they certainly won't be making a loss at that either.

I haven't had any significant oil consumption on the past few cars - no top-up between services on the CRV (2 litre NA petrol), FRV (1.8litre NA petrol), Forester (2.5 turbo petrol), Shogun (3.2 TD), or Swift (1.6 NA petrol).

All of which regularly get/got booted to the redline once warmed up and did a mix of town/B-road/M-way miles.

Saying that the highest mileage was 80k on the CRV - my 100k+ Civic used to take a bit of oil (perhaps 250ml every 2000miles) and was treated like a ginger stepchild.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 31 Dec 12 at 16:38
 Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - 03 1.8 Sanity check: is this Halfords oil OK in my - Shiny
Yes, huge markup, Vauxhall dealers sell 5 litres of Dexos 2 for £46 retail.
If you go to parts counter and ask if they still do the 4x5 litres Tradeclub oil offer for Taxi drivers, you will get 4 x 5 litres of Dexos 2 in a carboard box for £58....and some people still believe you get what you pay for.
Last edited by: sooty tailpipes on Mon 31 Dec 12 at 16:44
Latest Forum Posts