Technical Car/Motor Issues > Mitsubishi Carisma - 02 1.6 Niggling issues, need advice? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 8

Mitsubishi Carisma - 02 1.6 Niggling issues, need advice? - nice but dim
Hi,

My new Mitsubishi has a couple of non-serious niggling annoyances.

1. The steering wheel squeaks when manouvering in car parks. It is actually coming from the wheel when swinging from lock to lock etc parking. I assume it is the faces mating between the surround and the back of the wheel. Imagine a old radio being tuned with the high and low pitched noise, so annoying and as the car is so quiet inside it is very noticable. Cant imagine anything can be done about it, anyone else had this?

2. The multi function screen which dispays temp, time, av MPG, av speed and fuel range. The driving range seems almost spot on from a full fill ?(displays 435-455 miles) but when it drops to less than half a tank it doubles the remaining so effectively going back to the original full tank range. It doesnt seem to drop by 2 miles for every 1 mile travelled (which would be expected) so hard to work out on the fly. Does any of the Mitsubishi or indeed other marques owners have this problem?

Cant fault the car in any other way though.

Mitsubishi Carisma - 02 1.6 Niggling issues, need advice? - Zero
1/ Take off the column shroud at the back of the wheel (a screw underneath the bottom shroud?) see if its been rubbing, WD40 the top column/bearing)

2/ disconect the battery to reset the car, might work. Make sure there is no radio code.
 Mitsubishi Carisma - 02 1.6 Niggling issues, need advice? - -
As Z.

However as a general comment i wonder how many owners of non Japanese cars in this age/mileage/budget catchment would gladly swap their issues with yours, speaks volumes for good basic engineering.
 Mitsubishi Carisma - 02 1.6 Niggling issues, need advice? - bathtub tom
>> It doesnt seem to drop by 2 miles for every 1 mile travelled (which would be expected)

I don't understand why you should think that, I'd expect it to drop by 1 mile for every 1 mile travelled.
Z - I dont know why I even asked, I'm not looking for work to do. I must be looking for small things to complain about, it must be ownership of a boringly reliable car! :)

BT - let me explain, I do a full fill for example and the range says 440 miles, I then travel 220 miles and have used 1/2 a tank. The readout would be expected to say 220, nope it would say 440. Yet 1 mile earlier it would say 221. It's like it adds half a tanks range back on when dropping under half a tank. So you would expect it do drop 2 miles for every 1 mile travelled to show a range of 0 when empty (no near enough).

But it doesnt :(

gb - fully agree, it's fabulous and streets ahead of anything I have ever had or driven. As with most cars, they are long term keepers for the first month but I have usually changed between 18 months - 2years. Thinking 5 years for this one?
Last edited by: nice but dim on Mon 17 Dec 12 at 16:39
 Mitsubishi Carisma - 02 1.6 Niggling issues, need advice? - bathtub tom
OK, now I understand.

Can't you just ignore that readout and use the fuel gauge? One of my cars has a clock that stops, intermittently, so it doesn't even show the right time twice a day. I regard it as one of its affectionate, little foibles.
 Mitsubishi Carisma - 02 1.6 Niggling issues, need advice? - Lygonos
I have a brand new Suzuki that reads avg MPG 15-20% higher than brim-to-brim.

They all do that from reading other peoples' comments so it's basically a useless gadget that was probably set up that way so idiot journos could say "Even driven like Fangio with raging herpes, I was getting 48mpg" when it first came out.

As BT says - as long as the fuel gauge is vaguely accurate you don't need the computer.

Thanks, I've figured it out. It is simply displaying 100 miles more than the actual range so it ties in with the fuel light which comes at 115 miles remaining ( or 15 miles actual). There is supposedly 9 liters left in the tank when the low fuel light comes on so gives plenty of notice to fill up. I will just subtract 100 from the indicated range under half a tank.

It ties in with this post from the other side which I found

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=42248

It does seem reasonably economical on my usage, filled up yesterday and noted a trip distance of 468 miles just as the fuel light comes on so say 50 miles in reserve gives approx 500 miles per 13 gallon tank which I think is about 38-39 mpg? I think that is in part to the engine gives strong pull at low revs so no need to venture over 3000 rpm in normal driving.

As for the av MPG display, it is actually accurate withing 0.1 MPG over a couple of half tank fills using brim to brim calculations. It's hard not to test a new toy!
 Mitsubishi Carisma - 02 1.6 Niggling issues, need advice? - Dave_
The Range is calculated according to how economical your driving's been over the last few miles. I had a Peugeot 406 once which, if I drove like a nun for 10 minutes before filling the tank, showed a range of 808 miles. It rarely managed more than half that.
Latest Forum Posts