Technical Car/Motor Issues > Toyota Corolla Verso - 08 2.2 diesel - Oil top up light coming on Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Herr Sandwichmann Replies: 11

Toyota Corolla Verso - 08 2.2 diesel - Oil top up light coming on - Herr Sandwichmann
Good evening all,

The advisory light telling me that the Verso (58 plate, 2.2 diesel, 134hp) could do with some extra engine oil has started to come on. It only stays on for a few seconds, then goes out again. I'm mildly surprised by this as it was serviced in Nov 09 when it had an oil change, and has probably done about 7k miles since. I have checked the dipstick - it's pretty much bang in the middle of the upper and lower marks, as it has been since the service (I check it about once a month) - and added about a pint of oil supplied at the last service- I was reluctant to add more as I did not want to over-fill it. Have any other owners of Toyotas with the same engine noticed this? I'm not overly worried at this stage - but it seems a bit curious all the same.

Cheers,

CM

Moved to Tech Matters
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 13 May 10 at 00:23
 Toyota Corolla Verso - Oil top up light coming on - Verso - FotheringtonTomas
Dunno. Try "Technical".

If it's too quiet there, post a note here saying "See Technical".

;)
 Toyota Corolla Verso - Oil top up light coming on - Verso - Lygonos
Check the handbook - some cars (like the Honda FRV) have the advisory light come on for a second on starting the ignition - it's only important if it comes on while the engine is running.

If it stopped coming on after adding a pint of oil then the light is maybe a bit sensitive - I'd generally rely more on the dipstick than on a fluid level sender unit.
 Toyota Corolla Verso - Oil top up light coming on - Verso - Herr Sandwichmann
Thanks for this. It came on while running - I've only done a few miles since topping up and I have not noticed it since, so hopefully that's the end of the matter. If not, I'll have to take it to the dealer, I suppose.
 Toyota Corolla Verso - Oil top up light coming on - Verso - Victorbox
>> I have checked the dipstick - it's pretty much bang in the
>> middle of the upper and lower marks, as it has been since the service (I
>> check it about once a month)

So the garage didn't fancy giving you the proper amount of oil at service time? I've never had a car come back from service where the oil wasn't up to the max mark on the dipstick.
 Toyota Corolla Verso - Oil top up light coming on - Verso - Harleyman
ISTR that Toyotas come new from the factory with the oil only halfway up the stick; one of the employees at Burnaston came up with the idea, based on the premise that if the oil was going to be changed at 500 miles it wasn't worthwhile filling it up to the maximum.

Apparently it saved Toyota a fair bit of money, as you can imagine. I do believe he got a substantial reward for the idea.
 Toyota Corolla Verso - Oil top up light coming on - Verso - Zero
there is no reason not to fill it to the max mark. Its not "over full" at max.

The only cars I would worry about doing this on are those diesels that stuff fuel into the sump.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 12 May 10 at 23:14
 Toyota Corolla Verso - Oil top up light coming on - Verso - Herr Sandwichmann
Yes, must have saved them a fortune. I suppose the practice is common across Toyota's many factories - mine was made in Turkey, and the engine was apparently put together in Poland, IIRC.
 Toyota Corolla Verso - Oil top up light coming on - Verso - Auristocrat
My 2006 Corolla and my 2009 Auris didn't have an oil change due in their service schedules at 500 miles. The first oil change is at 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. Both were filled to capacity with oil rather than being halfway on the dipstick. My Corolla and Auris were both built in Derby, and the engine of the Auris was built in Wales (1.33 with optimal drive - stop/start and six speed gearbox).
 Toyota Corolla Verso - Oil top up light coming on - Verso - Avant
Do any current cars need an oil change at 500 or 1,000 miles? Time was when this was universal - to get any swarf out of the engine - but I haven't had a car needing this oil change for many years.
 Toyota Corolla Verso - Oil top up light coming on - Verso - L'escargot
>> I do believe he got a substantial reward for the idea.
>>

It's got nothing to do with the topic, but a Rootes assembly worker got a reward in the 1960s for suggesting that all wheels should be painted silver instead of the practice at the time of having wheel colours which toned with the bodywork colour of the particular car.
 Toyota Corolla Verso - Oil top up light coming on - Verso - madf
My 2003 Yaris diesel handbook does not mention a 500 mile service nor do any of the Toyota service bulletins I have seen which cover all models..since 2000...
Latest Forum Posts