Technical Car/Motor Issues > Mercedes Benz E Class W213 estate - 11 250d Suspension sinks Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 9

Mercedes Benz E Class W213 estate - 11 250d Suspension sinks - Runfer D'Hills
Just a bit of opinion sought really. My E class estate "sinks" when left parked until the back wheels are right up inside the wheelarches and then when you start the engine its self levelling pixies sort it all out. Is this normal? Should it do that? I'll ask a Merc dealer tomorrow but just wondered if I should be concerned? I feel it has been doing this for a long time but somehow I don't think it always did.
 Mercedes Benz E Class W213 estate - 11 250d Suspension sinks - Robin O'Reliant
Have a look at this Humph,

www.pistonheads.com/Gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=96&t=1035166&nmt=
Ok thanks RR. I'll call MB today to see what they say.
Right then, just called MB dealer. Definitely faulty. Needs a new pixie or something. They're coming to fetch it.
 Mercedes Benz E Class W213 estate - 11 250d Suspension sinks - -
Did you suggest a E350cdi or E63 might be on your future shopping list and now would be an ideal opportunity for a test drive if they have one lurking whilst your hack is in the workshops?

-:)
No, I missed that opportunity I'm afraid. Good thought though...Hmmmm....

On a different tack, it does though make you think. I also ordered two new back tyres for it today. They are being fitted on Thursday. 265/35/18/Y extra loads. They're a different size to the fronts and will cost about £450 for the pair fitted. Stuff like that and the sheer complexity of the beast as illustrated by its suspension problem and the two injector modification recalls it has had make me question whether I'd have the stomach to run such a car privately and out of warranty. The tyres have done ok though in my opinion. Still have a short 3mm on them at 37k.

I love it to bits but I think I'd probably not feel so warm towards it if I was faced with running it privately.
 Mercedes Benz E Class W213 estate - 11 250d Suspension sinks - -
>> a different size to the fronts and will cost about £450 for the pair fitted.
>> Stuff like that and the sheer complexity of the beast as illustrated by its suspension
>> problem and the two injector modification recalls it has had make me question whether I'd
>> have the stomach to run such a car privately and out of warranty.

Been doing a lot of car thinking in recent years and i've come to the same conclusion, such cars really do have to be under a warranty, and preferably like yours someone elses, or cheap enough to scrap when eventually undriveable.

Just too much to go wrong on cars like this (lorries have gone the same way hence fleet stuff exported after 5 or 7 years just not worth spending on), and i'm not diminishing just how good they are, but the costs of keeping them fettled could cause a chap to take up drink.

Be interested to know how much they would charge for this, or those injectors, if the warranty was out, would they tell you?

edit...the tyre story is just one of the things i investigate before purchase, that £450 bill would be a serious shocker to some, probably resulting in Fullrun Specials being fitted...if the selling main dealer didn't beat them to it.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 22 Oct 12 at 12:36
 Mercedes Benz E Class W213 estate - 11 250d Suspension sinks - oilburner
Had the same problem with our Citroen C4 GP with the same style of air suspension. It's a common fault with these kind of systems.

On the plus side, it's an easy fix, and cheaper (on the Cit) to replace than conventional springs + shocks.
 Mercedes Benz E Class W213 estate - 11 250d Suspension sinks - TeeCee
>>
>> On the plus side, it's an easy fix, and cheaper (on the Cit) to replace
>> than conventional springs + shocks.
>>

How times change!
In the past, anything nasty happening to Citroen suspension used to leave one cursing the bill for hydropneumatic fixage and hankering after plain old springs and shocks.
 Mercedes Benz E Class W213 estate - 11 250d Suspension sinks - Bigtee
Did the mercedes get new suspension spheres fitted was this the fault?
Latest Forum Posts