Technical Car/Motor Issues > Ford C-MAX - 08 1.8 Sudden oil consumption
Thread Author: MPZ Replies: 9

Ford C-MAX - 08 1.8 Sudden oil consumption - MPZ
My 1.8 petrol has never used any oil inbetween services, so much so that I now don't check it as often as I should. Today I did check it and there was no oil at all showing on the stick, and it took the best part of a litre pack to top it up.

No obvious leak, no oil on the drive where it is always parked. Any ideas? Should I book it in for a check up - last serviced at the end of May (4years, it gets serviced annually as it only does about 8k a year, now showing 32,000 miles)
 Ford C-MAX - 08 1.8 Sudden oil consumption - Dog
In your predicament, I would be inclined to start checking the oil level more regularly to ascertain if indeed it is actually reducing.

Did you check the oil level after the last service was carried out I wonder?
 Ford C-MAX - 08 1.8 Sudden oil consumption - VxFan
Did they use the same spec/grade oil as previous services?
 Ford C-MAX - 08 1.8 Sudden oil consumption - NortonES2
Did they put any in? I usually check the fluids before I leave the premises. It has been worth the trouble, what with over-filling, and oil in the coolant.
 Ford C-MAX - 08 1.8 Sudden oil consumption - Number_Cruncher
As mentioned already, it's a good plan to check around under the bonnet, and dip the oil on a regular basis. Given your mileage, every few weeks should be OK.

One thing which can happen is that oil tends to become diluted by fuel washing past the pistons - particularly if the car does short runs. Then, if the car does a longer run and/or gets a lot hotter, this fuel in the oil can evaporate off, and be burnt via the normal operation of the crankcase breather system - this then looks like the car has sudenly used a lot of oil over a short period, when in fact there's nothing wrong.
 Ford C-MAX - 08 1.8 Sudden oil consumption - L'escargot
>> In your predicament, I would be inclined to start checking the oil level more regularly ......

I check the oil level (and the other underbonnet items) weekly.
 Ford C-MAX - 08 1.8 Sudden oil consumption - Victorbox
Blowing any blue smoke out of exhaust?
 Ford C-MAX - 08 1.8 Sudden oil consumption - MPZ
Thanks for all the replies:

- no I didn't check it after the service, I will in future, and I will check more frequently.

MPZ
 Ford C-MAX - 08 1.8 Sudden oil consumption - Haywain
My wife's 52reg, 1.6 petrol Focus suddenly started using oil just over a year ago and, similarly, there was no trace of oil leakage or any oil on the drive - nor was there any appreciable smoke in the exhaust.

I reported this when it went in for its annual service and the guys changed the PCV valve - which I had never heard of before. This has made a massive improvement to oil consumption.
 Ford C-MAX - 08 1.8 Sudden oil consumption - L'escargot
>> the PCV valve - which I had never heard of before.

Positive crankcase ventilation.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankcase_ventilation_system autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repairqa/engine/ques079_1.html
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 27 Oct 12 at 10:51
Latest Forum Posts