Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen Jetta - 07 - Self unlocking, and self opening windows Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuartli Replies: 28

Volkswagen Jetta - 07 - Self unlocking, and self opening windows - Stuartli
...but perhaps a quicker response here...:-) {it helps to give the subject header an appropriate title as well - also moved to Technical as that's what that particular part of the forum is for}

Every so often, for no apparent reason, my 2007 Jetta Sports decides to unlock itself.

Usually it's just the boot lid, but on one or two occasions it's also opened all the windows. This happened overnight and, of course, after several fine days, due to Sod's Law, it had been raining...:-(

The Jetta was last used on Tuesday afternoon and was fully secure when I retired just before midnight, so have no clue what causes the self-unlocking. There are, of course, plenty of cars parked in the street and neighbouring driveways, but there are no other VW models, so that presumably rules out other owners' use of remote controls.

I did research the problem via Google a kittle while back, but only found a couple of references to VW cars owned and used in the States (my Jetta is manufactured in Mexico). The local VW dealership's service desk is too busy at present to accept calls so I'm trying again later. In any case they have never come across such a problem before.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 11 Oct 12 at 13:57
 Volkswagen Jetta - Probably should be in Technical.. - Fenlander
This is a bit of a long shot but...

This would happen to Xantias years ago when there was a fault on one of the individual locks. You know how if a door is only partially shut and you plip to lock the whole car will immediately unlock. Well that circumstance was being triggered by an electro-mechanical fault in one of the door locks some time after the car had been left.

With the greater ecu integration of newer cars you issue may be more complex but just as a test I'd disconnect the boot lock solenoid plug for a while and see if the problem still happens... if that is possible and if you can still lock it with a key.

If that isn't possible have a good look at the boot lock anyway to ensure it is free moving and adjusted so it is able to latch easily to full engagement.
 Volkswagen Jetta - Probably should be in Technical.. - Stuartli
Thanks for the suggestions..:-) The locks are all well oiled, including the boot lid, and I've taken to slamming it to try and eradicate the "unlocking" problem.

However, the fault is random and it may be a day or two after use before it re-occurs (I can use public transport free of charge so don't use the Jetta unless necessary).

I'm just about to ring the dealership again in the hope that the service receptionist lassie is available for a chat about the problem and will mention your suggestions.
 Volkswagen Jetta - Probably should be in Technical.. - Focusless
Also might not be related, but not long after purchase our 2006 Leon spent about a week at the dealer having a door/window lock problem sorted (mainly waiting for parts I think). Symptoms included the alarm going off at random - had to leave it unlocked.
 Volkswagen Jetta - Probably should be in Technical.. - Zero
It could be the convenience module/connections (the CPU that controls door locking/interiror lights/alarm) - Does VW still put these under the leaking Pollen filter?

It could be any of the micro switches on any of the locks.

Is there any pattern to it? Happens after it rains for example? when the temperature drops?

My VW Touran would turn on the brake lights when the temperature dropped to 5c for example
>>Is there any pattern to it? Happens after it rains for example? when the temperature drops?
>>

The fault is random and may not occur for quite a while and then return. However, it did rain during the night, which is why the interior got soaked as it was (only) the second time that it involved the windows opening rather than the boot lid...:-((

PS

Going in next Wednesday to be checked out...:-) Thanks for your suggestions as to possible cause.
>> >>Is there any pattern to it? Happens after it rains for example? when the temperature
>> drops?
>> >>
>>
>> The fault is random and may not occur for quite a while and then return.
>> However, it did rain during the night, which is why the interior got soaked as
>> it was (only) the second time that it involved the windows opening rather than the
>> boot lid...:-((
>>
>> PS
>>
>> Going in next Wednesday to be checked out...:-) Thanks for your suggestions as to possible
>> cause.

Suggests the convenience module then. It used to happen on VWs where the pollen filter leaked onto the electronics, which were in the lowest part of the passenger footwell. It also had strange symptoms where it depended on which way round you parked the car (water int he scuttle went one way or the other)
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 11 Oct 12 at 13:22
A rider to my note about the locks all being oiled - I mean, of course, the door and boot catches mechanisms. The Jetta only has one actual lock, that being the one on the driver's door...:-) The boot lid does have a release lever which can be used to open it if the car is unlocked.

Meanwhile the dealership is checking to see if the problem is/may be covered by the comprehensive VW warranty because, as I've mentioned before, it's not something they've previously encountered.

>> comprehensive VW warranty because, as I've mentioned before, it's not something they've previously encountered.

Rule No1 of any service department. Tell the customer - "There is no known problem of any kind - Every problem is unique"

It does not just apply to the motor trade.
>>Rule No1 of any service department. Tell the customer - "There is no known problem of any kind - Every problem is unique." It does not just apply to the motor trade.>>

No, in this case a few weeks ago when I first raised it with the service department, they were genuinely puzzled. In fact, as I stated a bit earlier, I could only find two references about the subject on Google at that time and both involved Passats in the States.
 Volkswagen Jetta - Probably should be in Technical.. - Focusless
I think this is the problem we had:
www.seat-forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=712&t=74326

>> No, in this case a few weeks ago when I first raised it with the
>> service department, they were genuinely puzzled. In fact, as I stated a bit earlier, I
>> could only find two references about the subject on Google at that time and both
>> involved Passats in the States.
>
You are not looking hard enough, whilst not common its a well know issue on Golfs and Passats, and the Jetta is basically a Golf.

Rule two of any service department "Do it convincingly"
 Volkswagen Jetta - Probably should be in Technical.. - TeeCee
I had a fleet Sharan that did that, culminating on it deciding to wind all its windows down and sulk in that state one Christmas in the peeing rain.

The fault was in the control system and caused by damp getting into the control module in one of the doors (hence why it happens when it rains). Apparently it's a German requirement that vehicles involved in an accident should unlock themselves and open windows to allow the passengers to escape. A spurious triggering of this system leads to the results seen.

I was led to believe at the time that UK spec vehicles shouldn't have this system implemented and that Sharan was a misbuild.....
>>The fault was in the control system and caused by damp getting into the control module in one of the doors (hence why it happens when it rains)>>

On that basis, going by all the rain we've had over the past few months, the Jetta will have been almost permanently unlocking itself...:-))) Also, as I've stated earlier, it's a Mexico built VW.
 Volkswagen Jetta - Probably should be in Technical.. - bathtub tom
Daughter used to let her baby play with the car keys and couldn't understand why she kept finding her car unlocked with all the windows down. I made her find and RTFM, particularly the relevant section!
 Volkswagen Jetta - Probably should be in Technical.. - rtj70
Does the remote have a remote unlock boot button?

My Mazda6 sometimes opened all the windows. Only when I had the key in my pocket and sat down in the office at home. And only a few times did it ever do this.... I must have been pressing the open button by accident. Could you be doing the same?
>> Does the remote have a remote unlock boot button?
My Mazda6 sometimes opened all the windows. Only when I had the key in my pocket and sat down in the office at home. And only a few times did it ever do this.... I must have been pressing the open button by accident. Could you be doing the same? >>

No, because it occasionally occurred overnight and perhaps up to 24 or 36 hours after first being locked and left on the drive or elsewhere...!

Just got the Jetta back after dropping it off soon after 10am yesterday; asked at teatime if I would mind leaving it overnight as door casing was off and wiring being thoroughly checked (suspected broken wire).

Turned out there was a broken wire; in addition a new lock has been fitted, although the original remote control and spare not affected and still in use. Cost was covered by the VW comprehensive extended warranty, so all's well that ends well...!!

The warranty also covered a faulty ABS sensor and other work required on the braking system a few months ago (more than £500 worth at the time), so the £193 for the warranty including roadside assistance has certainly paid its way. Due for renewal at the end of the month, so obviously worthwhile for a Mexican built VW..:-(((

The Wolfsburg built Bora (13.5 years old when I PX'd it for the Jetta) was very reliable during the seven and a half years I owned it....
Further to above re VW Jetta's mysterious unlocking routine and repair under VW's top level Comprehensive warranty, this warranty cost me just under £200 including Roadside Assistance a year ago.

Just been checking out prices for just warranty cover with warrantydirect.co.uk and its best quote for a year is £296; RAC breakdown cover is not cheap either when bought with Home assist etc.

Yet VW is offering me the Comprehensive warranty with Roadside Assistance for just £232 (£207 without the latter)..:-)
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sun 21 Oct 12 at 13:50
Should point out that I renewed the VW warranty cover at £232.....:-)

The Jetta is going in again tomorrow as it still occasionally plays up with the original problem, although the original work warranty would have covered the renewed attempt to solve it.
 Volkswagen Jetta - Probably should be in Technical.. - slowdown avenue
do you have a sunroof that closes when it rains. then it could have it mixed up with windows. do you keep your keys in your pocket and they go off by mistake ,like a mobile phone does sometimes when you squash it
>> do you have a sunroof that closes when it rains. then it could have it mixed up with windows. do you keep your keys in your pocket and they go off by mistake ,like a mobile phone does sometimes when you squash it >>

No sunroof...:-) Impossible for remote key boot unlock button to be activated in my pocket as it requires a very firm push. In any case there is no set pattern for the problem - the car be be unused for a day or two on the driveway and, suddenly, perhaps in the middle of the night, the boot lid and/or windows will open...:-(

There have been suggestions that it might be connected to the self-unlocking safety feature in the case of an accident - apparently (one way or the other) the US and European divisions of VW have mixed feelings on this feature.
 Volkswagen Jetta - Probably should be in Technical.. - Duncan
>> Daughter used to let her baby play with the car keys and couldn't understand why
>> she kept finding her car unlocked with all the windows down. I made her find
>> and RTFM, particularly the relevant section!
>>

May I strongly suggest that you tell your daughter how extremely dangerous this is.

Several years ago a local mother left her toddler playing in the car while she took the shopping indoors. The child climbed onto the seat and then must have stood, or put her foot on the electric window operating button. The window came up, trapped the child's neck in the top of the door and the child died.

No further comment required.
Bathtub Tom never said the child played with the keys in the cars though. If the baby was close enough to the car when in the house (which I read to be the case) the car would unlock, windows open etc. After a time most cars would auto-lock but the windows would remain open.

If you left a child in a car with the ignition off... the windows should not operate. Heck even my electronic parking brake cannot be released without a key in the ignition... another safety feature you could argue for an EPB (child could not disengage a parking brake).
Any car I've owned or driven over the past 15 or so years (perhaps even longer) and has had electric windows, has a safety feature that causes the glass to immediately retract if there is an obstruction that prevents it closing.
I remember when there was something in the news about a child getting trapped during the 90s. My brother had a Cavalier SRi at the time and he had a pencil to hand.... we put it at the top of the window opening.... pressed auto close and it crushed the pencil and did not retract at all. Newer cars no doubt do. I think it was a 93 model (K Plate)? No that was probably his Golf (unreliable bit of **** that was).
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 2 Jan 13 at 19:23
 Volkswagen Jetta - Probably should be in Technical.. - VxFan
>> I remember when there was something in the news about a child getting trapped during
>> the 90s. My brother had a Cavalier SRi at the time

My 1991 Cavalier Mk3 had a system in place to lower the windows again if it detected an obstruction.

IIRC, so did my 1987 Mk2 Cavalier. There was however an override button on that model which you could have great fun with. i.e. show your mates the self retracting windows by putting your own hand in and not getting it trapped, then letting them have a go, but of course I kept my finger on the override during their turn ;)
 Volkswagen Jetta - Probably should be in Technical.. - Duncan
Well, regardless of what should or shouldn't happen - it did happen.

The child, 2 or 3 years old IIRC died.

I am suggesting that cars and/or car keys are not things to allow a child to play with.
 Volkswagen Jetta - Probably should be in Technical.. - Manatee
As it's recurred it seems likely that they didn't actually fix the cause of the original problem?

In the OP you also mentioned rain, and we've just had a lot more of that. I'd be suspecting water getting into the electronics. I had a Galaxy (VAG 1.9 TDI, from the days when they, the Sharans and the Alhambras all came out of the same factory IIRC) that went bananas, locking and unlocking itself and the lights refused to switch off. The electronic gubbins it its recess under the passenger seat was actually under water at the time.
>> As it's recurred it seems likely that they didn't actually fix the cause of the original problem? >>

I would have agreed, apart from the fact that it hasn't happened as often as previously...:-) All will be known a little later hopefully.....
Latest Forum Posts