Technical Car/Motor Issues > Ford Focus II - 07 1.6 Engine Management Problems Miscellaneous
Thread Author: pete4344 Replies: 5

Ford Focus II - 07 1.6 Engine Management Problems - pete4344
After 12 trouble free years of Focus's, I seem to have run out of luck.

My 1.6 petrol Focus, with 45k miles, suddenly started running badly - I couldn't decide whether it felt like it was running on 3 cylinders or running out of petrol! The engine management light was also flashing, and it struggled to get up to 50mph.

The Ford main dealer diagnosed fault P0304 - misfire on cylinder 4, and replaced no 4 plug lead and all the plugs, and said they had re-loaded the software on the ECU. The car was now slightly better, but still not right. Back to Ford, who said it was still coming up with P0304.

They tried changing the coil pack without success, and swapped over the injectors for 3 & 4, but the problem remained with 4. I think they are now struggling for ideas. At least I have quite a nice Fiesta courtesy car, but hate to think what the final bill will be, especially if they start changing things like the ECU.

So how do you find some-one who can really diagnose an engine management problem?
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 29 Aug 12 at 21:19
 Ford Focus II - 07 1.6 Engine Management Ptoblems - MJM
Find someone who can do a simple compression test to eliminate mechanical problems.
When the injectors were swapped, did they swap the injector harness as well to eliminate a possible wiring problem?
 Ford Focus II - 07 1.6 Engine Management Ptoblems - pete4344
Thanks for that. It's still with Polar Ford. I will try to get some more information from them today
A mysterious end to this saga. They say they have fixed it, but don't know how! They suspect a wiring problem, and the cableforms around the top of the engine have been pulled apart and taped up.

Even tough they spent a week on it, there was no further charge beyond the initial diagnosis and work done. Strange!
 Ford Focus II - 07 1.6 Engine Management Ptoblems - The Melting Snowman
Is this the Ti-VCT engine? The connections to the throttle body can corrode. The modified part has gold-plated connectors. I suspect this is where your problem lies and they've hit on the problem maybe by chance.
It's the 100 PS engine, which I think is not the Ti-VCT engine. I wonder if the same fault could happen on the other 1.6 engine?
Latest Forum Posts