Technical Car/Motor Issues > Audi - A4 05 2.0 Central locking query
Thread Author: Slidingpillar Replies: 10

Audi - A4 05 2.0 Central locking query - Slidingpillar
Note, I could not find the model in the drop down list. It's an A4 diesel. Goodness knows the cc, it's not relevant so I just said 2.0.

I don't need anyone telling me it's a silly thing to do - the driver is well aware, but...

Left car, keys in ignition but engine stopped. Doors shut, and two minutes later, they centrally locked. Car and driver were rescued by somebody he knew, calling at his home, and getting the spare keys.

The remote on the spare keys didn't work, but after putting the key in the lock and unlocking, it did.

Both fobs are now now working normally and the Audi mechanic says "news to him".

But it sounds vaguely logical as a thief prevention measure and somewhere, I distantly recall a model doing this and the resultant discussion.

Anyone know?
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 21 Aug 12 at 21:18
 Audi - 05 2.0 Central locking query - Maisie's Dad
My 2001 Seat Ibiza had a habit of deadlocking itself within, say a minute of being unlocked, even if you had got in the car and started the engine! The best way to prevent it was to get in and lock the doors yourself and then unlock again.

In summary, your issue sounds like a glitch to me, but I could be wrong :o)
 Audi - 05 2.0 Central locking query - bathtub tom
My Nissan locks itself a short while after you unlock it if a door isn't opened. Could the spare key have a flat battery?
 Audi - 05 2.0 Central locking query - Slidingpillar
Nope, both fobs now work, but until the spare key manually unlocked the door, the spare key's fob didn't.

I think I'm going to recommend new fob batteries unless recently changed, but I doubt it has any bearing on the event really.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Tue 21 Aug 12 at 15:41
 Audi - 05 2.0 Central locking query - Gromit
I think (but I'm not sure) the remote fob doesn't work when there's already a key in the ignition because locking the car via the remote also switches on the immobiliser. So I don't think there's anything wrong with the key fobs.

On my old 3 series, the alarm and immobiliser didn't engage if you locked/unlocked via the keyhole. Also, you couldn't lock yourself into the car by blipping the keyfob once the key was in the ignition, but you could lock all four doors from a switch on the driver's door. It seemed to be a 'design feature', not a glitch.
 Audi - 05 2.0 Central locking query - Robbie34
It's impossible to lock the doors on my Honda Accord if you have left the keys in the ignition.
I once locked someone in my Nissan by the remote. They couldn't open the doors from inside and the windows are all electric. They were effectively caged. Scary if they needed to get out in an emergency!
 Audi - 05 2.0 Central locking query - Dave_
>> I once locked someone in my Nissan by the remote. They couldn't open the doors from inside and the windows
>> are all electric. They were effectively caged. Scary if they needed to get out in an emergency!

If I'm popping into a shop for a minute and leaving my children in the car, I'll lock the doors remotely but not deadlock them. That way no-one outside can open a door to snatch a phone but the nippers can get out if the car spontaneously combusts. ISTR Nissans (and Skodas) are the other way round to most cars, i.e. one press of the fob deadlocks the car, a second press un-deadlocks it leaving it just normally locked.
>> ISTR Nissans (and Skodas) are the other way round to most cars, i.e. one press of the fob deadlocks the car, a second press un-deadlocks it leaving it just normally locked.

I'll have to try that, I've only owned it seven years and I'm not aware of that function. :>(

I have RTFM, I had to in order to fathom the ICE and climate working. Someone over on HJ told me of one function for the on-board computer I felt was missing. The book doesn't mention it!
 Audi - 05 2.0 Central locking query - Stuartli
My 1999 VW Bora used to lock itself about 30 seconds after being unlocked with the remote control if either of the front doors hadn't been opened. Apparently it's a security measure and was detailed in the manual (I was initially puzzled as to the reason so checked it out!)
 Audi - 05 2.0 Central locking query - Stuartli
>>.. i.e. one press of the fob deadlocks the car, a second press un-deadlocks it leaving it just normally locked. >>

My 2007 VW Jetta has the same arrangement. The previous car, a Bora, would lock itself if configured to do so after reaching a certain speed. It also had a button low down on the driver's side central door pillar which, if pressed, enabled the car to be parked and then locked afterwards with the alarm motion sensor deactivated. It allowed, in my case, for a dog to be left in the car without setting off the alarm.
Latest Forum Posts