Technical Car/Motor Issues > Ford Fiesta - 97 loud clonk from rear suspension when cornering Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 5

Ford Fiesta - 97 loud clonk from rear suspension when cornering - RattleandSmoke
This has been getting worse, when taking tight ish corners the back end does not feel as stable as it should and there is a loud clonk from it.

I can only think this is due to a fault on the anti roll bar? What else could it be?

The axle bushes were replaced about 4000 miles ago.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 5 May 10 at 23:42
 Ford Fiesta - 97 1.3 loud clonk from rear suspension when steeri - VR6
I was going to say rear axle bushes, but they were replaced recently. Any chance that they were not installed correctly?

Also, in the past a rear clonk noise was due to a perished bump stop on the rear suspension causing suspension to bottom out, but that was on a Mk2 Golf and not a Festa
 Ford Fiesta - 97 1.3 loud clonk from rear suspension when steeri - RattleandSmoke
I did take it back to the garage about three months after when a knock appeared and he couldn't find anything wrong. The knock is worse now though, the MOT is due in August and the master cylinder is starting to rust so we really don't want to spend any money on it before the MOT.

Is there anyway I can jack the car up to find out what is wrong?
 Ford Fiesta - 97 1.3 loud clonk from rear suspension when steeri - bathtub tom
I'd suggest taking everything out of your boot (spare wheel, jack, wheelbrace, locking wheel-nut key and anything else you can find in there like hard disc drives) and then making sure the noise is still there.

I've been fooled in similar circumstances!
 Ford Fiesta - 97 1.3 loud clonk from rear suspension when steeri - Bellboy
handbrake on
grab rear wheel at quarter to 3 and pull wheel in a clockwise direction
you will feel the play and see the suspension move downwards if the bush has gone
theres some cheap bushes out there that are rubbish,i fitted one the other week i always clean them well up so it slides into the axle nicely but this didnt,nearly broke my £100 tool again
from my factor too .......
 Ford Fiesta - 97 1.3 loud clonk from rear suspension when steeri - RattleandSmoke
Thanks I will get the jack out probably be over the weekend if my new toy hasn't arrived.

I do have a tyre pump in there but these noise was there before then.

Are faulty bushes dangerious?
Latest Forum Posts