Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 brakes seized Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: zookeeper Replies: 15

Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 brakes seized - zookeeper
hi room, since the recent heavy downpoor of which i was caught in , driving through flooded roads on thursday ...the brakes have now completely seized ....have the brake pad/shoe material swollen causing an issue or does any one have similar experience of such and have a solution ......ive tried reverse /forward in the car but they seem pretty tight on....thanks zoo
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 30 Jun 12 at 16:27
 Volkswagen Polo III - brakes seized - Manatee
Was the handbrake on with the drums wet? Car left for two days? Rusted on? If so they should crack off, or are they binding even when you manage to rotate the wheels?
 Volkswagen Polo III - brakes seized - Zero
Front or rear? need to know more.

I would guess, as Manatee suggested, that the rear shoes have rusted to the rear drums. You will need to be pretty savage with your reverse and forwards movements to crack them off. Slipping the clutch won't do it.
 Volkswagen Polo III - brakes seized - Bigtee
Take off the back wheel and let off the handbrake now whack the drum with a hammer not a girly tap hit it twice this will free off the drum, same other side then go for a steady drive applying the foot pedal as you go if all was well before it should be again.

Volkswagen Polo III - brakes seized - zookeeper
thanks guys .... will give all advice a go...let you know the outcome sunday
 Volkswagen Polo III - brakes seized - Fullchat
Yeah pads and/or shoes rusted to dics/drums. Try and rock car gently backwards and forwards in 1st and reverse. Should unstick them. Sometimes if car is to be left a while after a soaking the handbrake is best left off.
 Volkswagen Polo III - brakes seized - Dulwich Estate
"...whack the drum with a hammer..."

Please...NO!.

Find a rubber headed mallett or put a bit of timber between your metal hammer and the drum. Otherwise you might find that the drum comes off much easier and quicker than you think - in at least two pieces.
ive advised the swmbo to take the hand brake off over night...but leave in gear obviously...just a soaking for us ,we got off pretty lightly ...the hail really messed some of your cars up
 Volkswagen Polo III - brakes seized - Iffy
I've freed many a drum by whacking it with a hammer, as did the other mechanics in the garage at the time.

Never known one shatter.

Volkswagen Polo III - brakes seized - Number_Cruncher
If you want to introduce an obscure source of brake judder, then, yes, hitting the brake drum hard will give you exactly that. Far better to tap the backplates to release the brakes - remember to either leave the car in gear, or to chock the wheels though!
hi guys, i took the back wheels off and gave the drums a good belt with a regular claw hammer, they popped off after the 3-4 hit...everything normal, thanks for the help.......zoo
 Volkswagen Polo III - brakes seized - VxFan
Might be worth taking the drums off to see what made them stick in the first place.
hi vxFAN , the anchors got a right soaking during last weeks deluge in my area, after i freed them off i went for a cautious drive using hand brake only for braking ( when safe to do so) to dry them out, all is fine with them now
 Volkswagen Polo III - brakes seized - VxFan
Up to you, but I would still want to take the drums off to make sure the ingress of water hasn't rusted something up, or will cause further problems in a few weeks. Simply drying out the brakes with a bit of heat won't get rid of any rust on metal on metal moving parts.
 Volkswagen Polo III - brakes seized - madf
5 to 1 the adjusters - which will be screw type and unlubricated will rust up...

A quick turn with some light oil will prevent loads of grief to come..

edited - presume you meant 'loads' not 'lads'
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 8 Jul 12 at 00:09
 Volkswagen Polo III - brakes seized - Bigtee
Did some Fiesta brakes last weekend that had sat since all the rain the adjusters had seized up.

On those the ratchet teeth were seized had to strip the shoes and clean up with a file and emery cloth, then apply a fine coating of copper slip so it slides freely, really shouldn't do that as the dust sticks to it but he does less than 2k a year.

If he had used the car more often it should have been fine, his front discs have corroded like hell on the inside and were new 2 years or 3.5k ago!!
Latest Forum Posts