Technical Car/Motor Issues > Ford Focus - clutch problems Miscellaneous
Thread Author: ramsy43 Replies: 35

Ford Focus - clutch problems - ramsy43
18 months ago, i had a new clutch fitted. Yesterday, i had to have a new clutch fitted after only using about 15,000 miles.....the garage that fitted the clutch say that as it only comes with a 12 month warranty, i would have to pay the full bill......i am angry as i use my clutch with care and know they should last a lot longer than this !!!! Can i do anything about this ???
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 20 Jun 12 at 00:49
 Ford Focus - clutch ptoblems - bathtub tom
Too many variables, from driver misuse (I've seen a clutch deliberately destroyed within twenty miles) to poor materials and fitting.

Did the 'garage' have a name that included 'mister' or 'quick' perhaps?
 Ford Focus - clutch ptoblems - ramsy43
not sure....they mentioned that they would send it off to the manufacturer to see if there was a fault but they didn't seem hopeful
 Ford Focus - clutch ptoblems - DP
Did they give you any indication as to why the clutch failed? What brand of clutch was it, and where was it fitted? Was it a large chain, or a small independent outfit?

I too am wondering whether it was a formal address to a man with the surname of the offending item....
i will need to check out this information
 Ford Focus - clutch ptoblems - John H
>> Did the 'garage' have a name that included 'mister' or 'quick' perhaps?
>>

>> and where was it fitted? Was it a large chain, or a small independent outfit?
>>

>> I too am wondering whether it was a formal address to a man with the
>> surname of the offending item....
>>

I can't think why ramsy43 is unable to instantly answer those questions.

p.s. Incidentally, ramsy43, welcome - but how did you discover the existence of this forum?

Last edited by: John H on Tue 19 Jun 12 at 11:13
 Ford Focus - clutch ptoblems - rtj70
Perhaps ramsy43 knows someone else who posts on here? And maybe they don't know the garage because it was 15,000 miles ago?

The trouble with clutches is they are wear items. Even on a brand new car, if the clutch went after only say 10,000 miles you'd not be covered. Unless it was a Mazda and then there is unlimited mileage cover for the first 12 months of ownership.
>>And maybe they don't know the garage because it was 15,000 miles ago?
>>

rtj - So how did he/she take it back there then? ;-)

we take it to the same garage everytime
>> rtj - So how did he/she take it back there then? ;-)

Because her other half took it there and she doesn't recall it's name?
>> >> rtj - So how did he/she take it back there then? ;-)
>>
>> Because her other half took it there and she doesn't recall it's name?
>>

rtj: LOL. I say. digging yourself in to a bigger hole!

i can't see where you are coming from....we use the same garage....they put in a clutch 18 months ago after 15,000 miles....is our fault ? is it the garages fault ? or is it a faulty clutch ?
we have used the same garage for many years
it was a small independant garage that my partner has been using for years
I have no be honest and the chances of this being covered are slim - but best of luck all the same. Maybe there was a manufacturing fault.
 Ford Focus - clutch ptoblems - Dave_
Welcome, ramsy43. 15,000 miles is not long for a clutch to last, but long enough for it not to have failed due to a manufacturing fault. If they only warrant it for 12 months then you're on your own after that, I'm afraid. Many modern cars have a clutch life of only 30,000-40,000 miles, so for yours to last half that distance isn't unheard of.

How long did the first one last?
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Tue 19 Jun 12 at 11:31
we have had the car for about 10 years and 18 months ago was the first time me needed to change the clutch
I take it the first clutch lasted a lot longer than 15,000 miles. And if you've driven the car the same way as you did with the first clutch, it does sound like it's failed prematurely.

What problem did it have with the clutch - was it slipping or was it something else.
yes we have driven the car the same way......it was a struggle to engage the gears.....they had to be forced
Are you sure it was the clutch to blame? Could it not be gearbox linkage?
 Ford Focus - clutch ptoblems - Focusless
>> Could it not be gearbox linkage?

But presumably if it was that, the new clutch wouldn't have fixed it?
after the new clutch has been fitted, it has been fine
 Ford Focus - clutch ptoblems - Dave_
The clutch plates could have been contaminated by leaking gearbox oil or hydraulic fluid. They could have been pattern parts (likely given the short warranty). The clutch actuating mechanism (cable? hydraulic?) could have deteriorated. It's an old car.
>> But presumably if it was that, the new clutch wouldn't have fixed it?

I meant the current problem could be something other than a failed clutch. But as Dave points out, it's an old car.

The first thing needed is info on what is wrong with the clutch. Is it simply worn? Or has it had a mechanical failure?
the garage mentioned a 'spring' if that means anything ??
 Ford Focus - clutch ptoblems - Old Navy
Diaphragm spring? If that or its fingers fail the clutch is dead from mechanical failure.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 19 Jun 12 at 12:54
 Ford Focus - clutch ptoblems - VxFan
>> Diaphragm spring? If that or its fingers fail the clutch is dead from mechanical failure.

Several years ago when I had my 1.3 Mk1 Astra, the clutch release bearing started squealing at approx 74,000 miles. A new clutch kit was fitted, but 10,000 miles later the clutch pedal was near on impossible to press down unless the engine was running. The garage removed the clutch assembly (very easy to do on these engines at the time) and discovered that the diaphragm spring fingers were almost worn away where the bearing pressed against them. They tried to blame my driving, riding the clutch etc, but I said the original clutch had survived 54,000 miles of my driving and nothing had changed between then and now. I eventually had to just pay the labour to replace the whole clutch. 12,000 miles later the same fault occurred. They stripped it down once again to find the same problem as last time. Upon further investigation they had found the flywheel had slightly warped. They sent the flywheel away for skimming, and then fitted yet another clutch assembly. I only had to pay for the flywheel machining in the end and was reimbursed for the previous work as they eventually admitted they hadn't spotted it.

I'm not sure if the same problem reared its ugly head again as I played it safe and sold the car before I had done another 10,000 miles on the new clutch ;)
 Ford Focus - clutch problems - Clk Sec
>>The clutch plates could have been contaminated by leaking gearbox oil

That reminds me of the Maxi that I owned for fourteen years. I had three or four new clutch plates and a couple of primary gears (?) replaced in that time because of gearbox oil leaking via the primary gear.

Ford Focus - clutch problems - L'escargot
Was the new clutch a genuine Ford spare part, fitted at a Ford franchised dealer? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect it wasn't. If that's the case then in my opinion you have to take some of the blame yourself.

Incidentally, if ever I have to have a part replaced I always ask to have the old part back (if it's something I can dispose of easily) so that I can check its condition.
 Ford Focus - clutch problems - VxFan
>> Was the new clutch a genuine Ford spare part

Shouldn't make any difference - provided it was made to OEM spec.
>> Shouldn't make any difference - provided it was made to OEM spec.
>>

How would you know that, if it was purchased from somewhere other than a Ford dealer?
Many years ago, a friend had a clutch fail. On investigation it was discovered that one of the crankshaft thrust bearings had worn to the extent that it had fallen into the sump. That resulted in the clutch getting a lot of hammer from the increased crankshaft end-float.
 Ford Focus - clutch problems - DP
Ford do not make clutches. An OEM manufacturer will make the part on behalf of Ford.

When the clutch and DMF needed replacing on my Golf, I could have paid £800 for a Sachs kit (stamped on the metal surfaces) in a VW Genuine Parts box, or £300 (using a handily timed voucher deal) for the same Sachs kit in a generic Sachs box from a reputable national parts supplier. There was NO difference in the parts. They come from the same production line, and are made to identical specifications.

The VW tech who fitted the clutch for me said there was no difference at all between the original clutch that came off, and the new one that went on, apart from a DMF that wasn't seized solid, and friction material that didn't have 125,000 miles of wear and tear on it. Same detail finish on the metal parts, same manufacturer part stamp in the same place as the original one. It fitted like a glove, and 6 months on, the new parts are performing superbly, as expected.

There are very some very dodgy quality pattern parts out there, but you do not need to go to a main dealer to get OEM parts, or good quality pattern parts from a respected manufacturer (who probably OEM's for other manufacturers). People like Unipart were supplying BL and Austin Rover production lines for decades, but you could buy parts from them for almost any car on the road, made to the same quality control standards and in the same factories.

For every tale of woe like the OP's, there are tens of thousands of people fitting OEM or good quality pattern parts independently of the franchised dealer network who have no issues whatsoever. Of course, it's a case of caveat emptor, but apply a little intelligence and common sense, and you can save an absolute fortune without compromising your vehicle in any measurable way.
Last edited by: DP on Wed 20 Jun 12 at 11:28
 Ford Focus - clutch problems - swiss tony
>> Ford do not make clutches. An OEM manufacturer will make the part on behalf of
>> Ford.

To clarify that comment.... and show what the M in OEM stands for......

OEM = original equipment manufacturer. ie a manufacturer who makes parts for the vehicle manufacturer (not necessarily the item marked as OEM...)(or made to a different spec (normally lower) than originally fitted to the vehicle).

OE = original equipment. ie a part made by, and to the same spec, by the manufacturer as originally fitted to the vehicle.
Last edited by: swiss tony on Wed 20 Jun 12 at 23:50
 Ford Focus - clutch problems - jc2
There are an awful lot of parts out there(not just clutches)that are not genuine-even the packaging is fake-the safest way is a main dealer sparesman.Just remember that the same applies to the aircraft industry next time you fly-even the "certificates of authenticity" are faked.
>> There are an awful lot of parts out there(not just clutches)that are not genuine-even the
>> packaging is fake-the safest way is a main dealer sparesman.

Exactly. In my last job (in the automotive manufacturing industry) one of my functions was to inspect and test spurious spares discovered by our sales representatives at spare parts dealers. There were instances in which the castings had been copied to the extent of including copies of our logo and part number. Components were rarely a good dimensional copy, even more rarely made from the same quality material, and durability was always atrociously poor.
Latest Forum Posts