Technical Car/Motor Issues > Ford Focus II - 07 1.8 Friction burn smell Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mr. Ecs Replies: 7

Ford Focus II - 07 1.8 Friction burn smell - Mr. Ecs
Had a new clutch and DMF fitted in December 2011. Today had a whiff coming from right hand side of engine over the gear box housing. Smells like a burning clutch type smell. Pungent even when engine not running. Any ideas please?
 Ford Focus II - 07 1.8 Friction burn smell - zookeeper
Just the newness burning off?
No it's got progressively worse.The smell of burnt onions and clutch burning that is, and now the bite point is steadily creeping upward.

Took it to Fords other day as no-one here could advise. Technician straight away said the clutch was slipping, either mis aligned or something to do with slave cylinder.

Anyway, its booked in with the inde who did the original work. I took it back to him before I took it to Fords, and he said there was nothing wrong. Doesn't bode well, but I have receipt which he said in December covered a years warranty on the clutch. One question though, if he supplied the parts, does he take the hit for new parts AND labour?
 Ford Focus II - 07 1.8 Friction burn smell - L'escargot
>> One question though, if he supplied the parts, does he take the hit for new parts AND >> labour?

Another question ~ are the parts he fitted genuine spares or are they poor quality pattern parts?
And another question ~ is he competent to do the work?
And another question ~ would it be cheaper in the long run to take the car to a Ford dealer?
 Ford Focus II - 07 1.8 Friction burn smell - Iffy
Before going back to the independent, I would arm myself with a quote from the Ford dealer to do a proper job, insofar as they can give a quote without dismantling the car.

You then know your worst-cost scenario.

If it's just the clutch, and if that's just a few hundred, I'd be tempted to stuff the independent and get the job done properly.

He told me at the time that he only fitted genuine parts.
Yes, competent. He was a Jaguar technician before going solo, running a successful garage before until workshop was destroyed in fire. He is back as a one man band. He has done work for people I know, and other work for me and his diary appears to be always full, so yes I would say competent. This is the first time he has let me down.
I did phone around for quotes and the prices were all around the same. But Fords was higher because of higher labour charges.
I took it to him as I wanted to support local tradesmen. If he had said he was not able to do the work I would have resorted to taking to franchise Ford dealership.But I've had poor results from the likes of them in the past.
 Ford Focus II - 07 1.8 Friction burn smell - Robin O'Reliant
>> Yes, competent. He was a Jaguar technician before going solo, running a successful garage before until workshop was destroyed in fire.
>>
Oh dear.
 Ford Focus II - 07 1.8 Friction burn smell - swiss tony
>> >> Yes, competent. He was a Jaguar technician before going solo, running a successful garage before until workshop was destroyed in fire.
>> >>
>> Oh dear.
>>

Did he recently work for Williams F1 team?
Latest Forum Posts