Technical Car/Motor Issues > Renault Scenic - 05 1.5 heater fan stopped Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 34

Renault Scenic - 05 1.5 heater fan stopped - -
the above vehicle, unsure of engine size but doubt it matters, belongs to our glazier who is currently doing some work for us.

Few days ago the heater fan suddenly stopped working, he's checked the fuses and all seem ok.

Any ideas of what is the likely cause please, before he puts it into an auto electrician.
 Renault Scenic - 05 1.5 heater fan stopped - VxFan
Loose wire?
Rain water got onto the blower motor (from a blocked drain in the scuttle area) and seized it?
 Renault Scenic - 05 1.5 heater fan stopped - sooty123
It's probably the resistor pack it seems quite a common fault. You need to get remove the glovebox and it right up against the bulkhead in the centre behind the dash. Some need changing mine just needed cleaning and refitting.
Thankyou chaps i shall pass those on and look in here again tomorrow afternoon for any more suggestions.

I recall resistor being the problem when my mates Pug 106 heater stopped working correctly...ISTR it was off or full blast with nowt inbetween, we stripped and repaired it but being some 25 years ago the details are a bit foggy.
 Renault Scenic - 05 1.5 heater fan stopped - carmalade
Very common for the resistor pack to burn out and overheat the wiring.Modified wiring adaptor and resistor about £80 from dealer.Now for the difficult part.The resistor is located right up behind the dash above the clutch pedal,in the side of the heater box..It is just accessible if you remove the instrument cluster.The fly lead off the new adaptor harness runs to the heater motor which is situated behind the glove box.So one way or another,part of the dash will need to be removed.Great bit of design.
Wouldn't the blower still work on the highest setting though if the resistor pack has failed?
IIRC, the resistor pack is there to allow adjustable speeds.
Unless of course there is a thermal fuse that's gone instead? On a Vectra-C, you can either spend quite a bit of money replacing the thermal fuse, which is part of the resistor pack assembly, or with a bit of soldering just replace the thermal fuse for a few pence from Maplin.
Agreed,on some cars the high speed is retained.It depends how the fan motor and speed resistor circuit is wired.On the Scenic both the power and earth supplies run through the resistor,so if the earth wire pin burns out you lose all speeds.hth
Excellent, thankyou mucho for the extra info.

He's going to ring me anytime and i shall pass on the good news...without i hasten to add volunteering to get involved, i don't mind normal cars but have an aversion to French.

Took SWM's C2 today to give it a blast, 2x30 miles fast runs to work and back (different depot), so grabbed an oil filter on the way home and slipped in a quick oil change between the downpours...annoying just how much brittle ducting has to be removed for just a simple filter change, only French car i found half decent to work on was the Renault 21 Diesel i had many moons ago.
Update.

Well, Jimmy called tonight to have a look at conservatory base work in progress, and while he was there mentioned his heater still not done, he simply hasn't had time to take it in.

So while he was here we had a poke nose, he shows me the fuse box.

Tucked behind the NS headlight, we took the top off and found 3 rows of fuses still under the fuse coded cover, couldn't see any way to get the rest of cover off so whilst he pulled the top up as much as reasonably possible, i with torch levered the hardest to get at (isn't it always) fuse up with screwdriver, enough to see it was intact and pushed it back in again..phew.
Looking at the fuse diagram closer, that would appear to be the radiator fan...doh.

Another fuse box in the glove compartment, so i find the one marked for the heater fuse, another 40a, again that one is intact.

Ah well says Jimmy it was worth a look.

Said goodbye, 2 minutes later he's knocking at the door beaming...heater works again.

Must have been a poor contact on the fuse after all.

Having been under the bonnet of his car, i can guarantee i will not be buying one, to do anything would be like keyhole surgery, no thanks.
 Renault Scenic - 05 1.5 heater fan stopped - DP
>> Having been under the bonnet of his car, i can guarantee i will not be
>> buying one, to do anything would be like keyhole surgery, no thanks.
>>
In fairness, the scuttle panel comes off in a few minutes, and that helps a lot.

But overall, this car is an appalling example of "designed in" maintenance difficulty. Everything costs a fortune, and is a pig of a job.

Tell him to sell it before the clutch goes (9 hrs labour)

>> Tell him to sell it before the clutch goes (9 hrs labour)

I'll pass that snippet on, thanks DP.
 Renault Scenic - 05 1.5 heater fan stopped - BobbyG
Just as a wee add on here - neighbours 2005 Scenic spontaneously combusted on their driveway.

Although Renault refuse to accept any blame, or admit there is an issue, there seems to have been a few fires whereby the common denominator has been the fan was on the fastest speed setting.

In my neighbours case, it was due to demisting their windscreen whilst they sat in the driveway.
 Renault Scenic - 05 1.5 heater fan stopped - madf
I stand by my view of Renaults. Designed by people who in a prior existence probably invented something more complex than Heath Robinson.
 Renault Scenic - 05 1.5 heater fan stopped - Runfer D'Hills
Lot of fires round your way Bobby it seems...
>> I stand by my view of Renaults. Designed by people who in a prior existence
>> probably invented something more complex than Heath Robinson.

No, they fulfil their design brief perfectly. They last 3 years / 60,000 miles, and then cost more to keep running than a supercar, after which the manufacturer clearly assumes you'll chop it in for another.

My Scenic was almost faultless in its first three years. Needed a sunroof guide replacing, and a couple of bulbs. Nothing more.

It was once the warranty expired that the wallet kicking began. Our savings have still not fully recovered from what this car cost us in it's fourth year on the road.
Update.
As i mentioned in another Renault thread this appears to have been cured, well for now till the next thing.

His sparky removed most of the dash to get to the heater unit, plugging and unplugging the multi connector sited in the depths gets it all going again.

Connector has been cleaned and pins moved a bit to encourage better contact, apparently sparky not impressed by wiring especially connectors, as evidenced by fluent Scottish cursing..;)

Its all working fine for now.

thanks for all input.
 Renault Scenic - 05 1.5 heater fan stopped - Victorbox
>> Connector has been cleaned and pins moved a bit to encourage better contact, apparently sparky not impressed by wiring especially connectors, as evidenced by fluent Scottish cursing..;)
>>

If it was a Zafira B then you could go straight to replacing the seized fan motor at £300 for the part! Just had it done on my Zafira so I could demist it now the cold weather is here. Amazing that we have £40 desk fans at work that last decades but a £300 fan can't last 7 years. At least the fan motor is just behind the glovebox so the labour charge doesn't amount to much.

>> Amazing that we have £40 desk fans at work that last decades but a £300 fan can't last 7 years.

But the desk fan isn't out in all weathers, and getting bashed about by pot holes and the like.
>> But the desk fan isn't out in all weathers, and getting bashed about by pot
>> holes and the like.

But the Zafira fan is tucked up in the dash all nice and warm inside the car.... well it's nice and warm when the fans running! I think it's just a case of poor quality bearings as unlike the Vectra C it isn't even afflicted by water dripping into it from a blocked pollen filter housing. My VX dealer said they'd seen quite a few Corsa D's with seized interior fans so perhaps Vauxhall will sort out the quality control now they've given a "lifetime" warranty.
 Renault Scenic - 05 1.5 heater fan stopped - diddy1234
I bet no car maker is bothered about that.

virtually no warranty covers a fan blower motor.
even Kia would not cover that one.
>> even Kia would not cover that one.

I heard a story from a credible source recently, that the hallowed Kia warranty wouldn't cover the cost of replacing the timing belt and stretch cylinder head bolts on a Cee'd that had suffered a head gasket failure.

They would only pay for the gaskets, and the direct labour associated with replacing them.

The car went out with a re-used cambelt and cylinder head bolts.

Appalling.

>> The car went out with a re-used cambelt and cylinder head bolts.
>> Appalling.

Agreed, but was the car owner invited to contribute for the extra parts?

For example, the used car we have agrred to buy now being prepped by the dealer is going to get a new cambelt (standard practice for them), i have asked the dealer to fit a genuine Mitsubishi belt and tensioner (and pump if needed) and i have offered to pay the difference in cost for the OE parts...makes sense to me.

I wouldn't expect Kia to behave like Toyota who wipe the floor with others (Madf will be letting us know about Honda in due course,;) when it comes to looking after the troubled customer, i would use a bit of common sense though and get any extra work like new cambelts fitted at the same time....though if new head bolts are required then Kia should be coughing up for those, i suspect a second rate dealer not Kia is the root of the problem there.
>> I bet no car maker is bothered about that.
>> virtually no warranty covers a fan blower motor.
>> even Kia would not cover that one.

According to the VX website it's covered.....

"What is covered? All Vauxhall warranties cover a huge range of vehicle parts – powertrain and steering, brake parts, cooling, safety systems, air-conditioning, electronic components and more."
>> But the Zafira fan is tucked up in the dash all nice and warm inside
>> the car....

It's still in a more harsh enviroment than a desk fan though, unless the desk fan was in a brussel sprouts factory ;)
 Renault Scenic - 05 1.5 heater fan stopped - pelican
The connector on my 06 Scenic is badly burnt.
Where can I get a replacement without having to take out a mortgage?
If the connector is burnt,then the pins on the resistor block will also be a problem.The resistor is £70 +vat (part no R7701207876) and the repair cable kit is £30 (part no R8200729298)+vat.hth
Thats still £120 for a resistor and a connector with a few cables? Surely theres a cheaper solution?
 Renault Scenic - 05 1.5 heater fan stopped - Zero
>> Thats still £120 for a resistor and a connector with a few cables? Surely theres
>> a cheaper solution?

and thats before you have even tried fitting it.
 Renault Scenic - 05 1.5 heater fan stopped - Dog
>>Surely theres a cheaper solution?

Out the critter.
>> Thats still £120 for a resistor and a connector with a few cables? Surely theres
>> a cheaper solution?

ebay?

www.ebay.ie/itm/Heater-Blower-Motor-Resistor-Renault-Scenic-Renault-Grand-Scenic-7701207876-/220990832908 (£24 inc delivery)

www.ebay.co.uk/ctm/Scenic-II-Genuine-Renault-Heater-Resistor- (£31.47 inc delivery)

And that's just 2 examples found just by putting the part numbers into google and also ebay.
If the wiring and connectors are burnt it's been pulling a lot of power probably because the fan motor bearing is starting to seize.
Poor design here.The connector pins are too small for the current drawn.The modified resistor and connector splits the power through 2 pins to spread the load.hth
Thanks guys but those dont include the resistor.
Ordered resistor and connector with loom for under £50 at www.heaterblowerresistor.co.uk/renaultscenicheaterresistor.html
Will report back
>> Thanks guys but those dont include the resistor.

So why does the first ebay link I posted suggest otherwise then?

www.ebay.ie/itm/Heater-Blower-Motor-Resistor-Renault-Scenic-Renault-Grand-Scenic-7701207876-/220990832908

Description: Heater Blower Motor Resistor Renault Scenic Renault Grand Scenic 7701207876
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 1 Dec 13 at 18:44
 Renault Scenic - 05 1.5 heater fan stopped - eyedinnot
All very well getting the parts but the dash has to come out to replace the inadequate burnt out part, even at a trusted local independant it cost a few bob!

Then other things started to go; a drive shaft, a wheel bearing, the engine stabiliser unit, the alternator seized (five possible ones the one needed for mine was £499 new got recon at £299!) it had done 131K mind so I got rid it was too expensive to run anymore!
Last edited by: eyedinnot on Tue 10 Dec 13 at 11:30
Latest Forum Posts