Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 petrol filler cover
Thread Author: zookeeper Replies: 15

Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 petrol filler cover - zookeeper
hi room , got an emergency...petrol filler flap wont unlock, ive been having issues with central locking too , any help soon would be appreciated

this is not troll.... been on this gaff and the otherside for years
 Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 petrol filler cover - Zero
Push lightly on the petrol cover when you unlock the car. Failing that it into the boot, off with the interior trim panels and unscrew and remove the solenoid.
thanks zero will give it ago in the morning and report back
ive seen one on ebay , its a white plastic body with long spike on it? has vacuuam pipe take off but dont see any electrical fitting am i in the right area?
 Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 petrol filler cover - carmalade
Polos of this age have vacuum locking system and a failure is usually caused by the vac pump filling with water.The unit is located in the boot ,behind o/s/r trim by rear light.As advised,it is possible to manually pull back the locking plunger to open the fuel flap.hth
ive had the pump out ages ago to check for corrosion on the connector, it wasnt corroded it didnt stir when i worked the driver door lock tho.....is the vac pump a sealed unit? i know there is power in the system as the cigar lighter gets hot ...its on the same curcuit as far as i know
 Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 petrol filler cover - Zero
Its a 1999 polo, hardly worth spending the earth on, remove the locking pin assembly completely and fit a petrol cap with a key,
 Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 petrol filler cover - Dave_
All petrol filler flaps will have a manual release inside the car in case of a flat battery ZK, have a rummage around behind the trim (if there is any) in the boot with a torch. There's likely to be a plastic tab or fabric loop to pull to open it and get you out of the stew.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Thu 22 Mar 12 at 17:45
 Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 petrol filler cover - -
MB's have vacuum central locking and very reliable it is too, might be worth nabbing a vacuum pump from an MB breaker and adapting it to suit.

Can't be much different in the way they work.
 Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 petrol filler cover - swiss tony
>> MB's have vacuum central locking and very reliable it is too, ......

Older ones do. Current models use electric motors built into the locks.
Fairly common fault on the newer cars is b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-bouncing locks.....
 Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 petrol filler cover - -
Current models use electric motors built into the locks.
>> Fairly common fault on the newer cars is b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-bouncing locks.....

Does that come under the return to quality we keep reading about ST, rapid wearing bottom ball joints being part of the strut at around £1k a joint part of the return too...;)

sheesh, i'll keep me old one going...which as we speak is at my indy's being serviced and MOT'd.
 Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 petrol filler cover - swiss tony
>> Does that come under the return to quality we keep reading about ST, rapid wearing
>> bottom ball joints being part of the strut at around £1k a joint part of
>> the return too...;)

Well.... the quality HAS returned.
But will NEVER be anywhere near the quality Merc's had.

The all time low was the late 90's early 00's, as is well documented.

The last REAL Mercs were, W201 (190) W124, W140.

The W210E class were on the whole ok, until the rust took hold....
the early W211's were bargepole fodder, 06 on W211 were ok.
W212 (current E class) Too early to tell really - seem to be put together well, but have had some fairly horrific teething problems. (Injections on some of the diesels (fairly well documented)

Would I have a good W201, W124 YES!
Would I have W202, W210, late W211, maybe....
Would I have a current model? Only under warranty....
ive had the pump out again today, and got inside the casing to check for water ingress,
all looks dry as a bone and the curcuit board looks intact
is there a relay in the system that could be at fault? though the radio and cigar lighter work ok
can i test the wiring plug that goes to the pump to see if its live?
oh thanks for previous help i managed to release the fuel flap ...thanks again
 Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 petrol filler cover - carmalade
The pump unit contains all the circuits to make it work,there are no external relays.You can do some basic tests.On the plug connector there will be a red wire (battery permanent power).A brown wire (earth/ground)and a few other wires that connect to the door lock switches in the front doors.These circuits need to be checked from the doors back to the pump unit.hth
 Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 petrol filler cover - Tommy
what exactly did you finally do in order to get the problem fixed?
Latest Forum Posts