Non-motoring > Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles vol 3   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 104

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles vol 3 - R.P.

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 4 *****

Volume 3 - NO CARS :-)

Volume 2 is here
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 20 Oct 11 at 21:08

Cold War Jets Open Day at Bruntingthorpe - Meldrew
Sunday 28th August, everything they own with engines in them will be "Taxied" including 2 Lightning and a Victor - the latter got airborne last year illegally and by mistake!

www.bruntingthorpeaviation.com/

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles vol 3 - spamcan61
>>I take your Bittern/DoNZ at 6, and I raise you Bittern/DoNZ at 20:15, in the dark!
>>www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlIY2Kio-_w

I bow to your superior widescreen HD experience :-)

>>Spamcan 61
>>You have some good vids there, Excellent!

Cheers! it keeps me off the streets.

Merlin? - bathtub tom
Just heard what sounded like a Merlin buzzing around. It had that unmistakeable supercharger whine as it dived. Finally saw what may have been a Mustang cruise over - it had D-day markings.

Probably this event: www.twinwoodevents.com/

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles vol 3 - R.P.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14677418

Fascinating reading - especially the bits about the engines being re-started 10 years after it was scuttled !

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles vol 3 - Bigtee
And what have we got to show for it all our fine vessels are floating down to the scrapper. :-(

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles vol 3 - Zero
Bittern is back, disguised as DoNZ still, Brookwood station, great great timing on the steam chime, thanks driver!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGiKT5fkbM8

Busy week for steam in my area, (where is Spamcan he's late on parade.) we had another running yesterday. Unusual one this, Britannia out of Southend of all places, via the north London loop and the west London loop to Salisbury. Stopping at Chertsey to water.

Here is the scene at Chertsey.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bjAxfg23gg

It did exactly the same route on the way back, but I caught it on film at a place where it met a Class 66 freight loaded with RR evoques. I estimated 60 of them.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7hZesXUdrc

>> Busy week for steam in my area, (where is Spamcan he's late on parade.)

I was going to 'film' Tangmere on the up working heading up the bank into New Milton, but it didn't leave Weymouth on time (according to my mum who lives almost next to the Jersey sidings), nobody was updating WRGEN, so I gave up.

I think a Deltic is working a special to Weymouth Saturday, no idea of route/timings at the moment, not sure if there's an equivalent to www.uksteam.info for infernal combustion powered stuff.

OK it's Crewe to Weymouth via Bristol & return, looks like I'll be visiting mum on Saturday then, should get some good 'thrash' up the hill from Weymouth to Bincombe Down.

www.pathfindertours.co.uk/index.php/tour-calendar-reader/events/the-dorset-deltic-explorer.html
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Thu 1 Sep 11 at 16:39

Out of bed Spamcan, Ollie came through Brookwood in the rain this morning, 10 minutes late. Heading your way. Hauling a class 47 on the back.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 6 Sep 11 at 10:48

I'm afraid heavy rain stopped outdoor play yesterday!

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles vol 3 - Ted

Good documentary on the ogglebox tonight...the last years of British steam.
Watched half after Corrie...will see the rest tomorrow then probably put it on DVD to keep.

There's a great clip I always enjoy....An LNWR Claughton 4-6-0 with a pilot engine at speed picking up water. Early LMS days, the Claughton has it's number on the tender.

Filmed from a train on a parallel track with the subject train pulling away gradually...a real period piece !

Ted

>>
>> There's a great clip I always enjoy....An LNWR Claughton 4-6-0 with a pilot engine at
>> speed picking up water. Early LMS days, the Claughton has it's number on the tender.
>>
I wonder how much water ended up in the leading coach! Just watched the programme, at the start I thought it was going to be one of those 'why did those muppets keep using steam' programmes, but it improved as the programme went on IMHO.

You'd of thought that there was enough colour footage around of the prototype Deltic and Blue Pullman to use rather than black and white. Some nice early M1 footage as well.

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles vol 3 - Bromptonaut
The tower for Castlethorpe water troughs is still extant but gradually falling to bits. Really ought to be preserved.

www.mkheritage.co.uk/cv/docs/railway/watertower.html

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles vol 3 - Bromptonaut
And moving from trains to aircraft:

The Goodyear 'blimp' is on its travels. Spotted over NW London around 17:25 today. Apparently there are prizes for piccies www.goodyearblimp.co.uk/spot-the-blimp/ but even without the limitations of my phone camera and a moving train it was too far away.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 9 Sep 11 at 20:51

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles vol 3 - MD
Where those vids all with the HS10 Zed? Excellent btw.

The Colditz Cock... - R.P.
Been watching the tail end of my birthday gift - BBC's The Colditz Story box set. Just watching the penultimate episode that documents the glider the prisoners built - doing some random Googling came across this.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colditz_Cock

Quite a moving story in its own way..

Leeds/Bradford Airport. - R.P.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14906539

A clip of an aborted landing at LBA - by chance and coincidence there's a clip of the Air France Concorde (mentioned in the Hurricane thread) making a dodgy landing there in 1986...

Leeds/Bradford Airport. - Old Navy
I have been in a few aircraft when some passengers felt it necessary to scream, usually during turbulence while on approach or an aborted landing. Must be the same people that Rattle gives lifts to. :)

Leeds/Bradford Airport. - Duncan
>> I have been in a few aircraft when some passengers felt it necessary to scream,
>>

Probably the same passengers who applaud when the aircraft lands successfully. Yuk!
 Leeds/Bradford Airport. - Bromptonaut
Some more pictures here from yesterdays Wail showing other 'interesting' landings at Yeadon in the high winds tinyurl.com/69hkzx5

As mentioned in the hurricane thread LBA's runway is not overlong & across the prevailing wind. It also has significantly higher ground immediately to the north west, further necessitating a steeper than normal glideslope (3.5degrees). At nigh on 700feet up it's an exposed spot and the topology means wind can do funny things close to the ground.

Interesting to see AF's views but I believe it's regarded on the flight deck as one of the UK's more challenging destinations.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 14 Sep 11 at 14:07

Leeds/Bradford Airport. - Focusless
>> high winds tinyurl.com/69hkzx5

Doesn't work for me :(

Leeds/Bradford Airport. - bathtub tom
I've been sat towards the back of a 'plane landing on one wheel in a crosswind. I couldn't believe the amount of twist in the fuselage.

Leeds/Bradford Airport. - Bromptonaut
>> I've been sat towards the back of a 'plane landing on one wheel in a
>> crosswind. I couldn't believe the amount of twist in the fuselage.

Also a surprising amount of 'weave' either side of the centre line during the first bit of the take off run. Particulalry noticed dpearting Brum (another place with a permanent crosswind) on an Embraer 190.

Leeds/Bradford Airport. - Zero
Put your hand across two adjoining decoration panels to feel the amount of flex in the fuselage.

Anglesey Defence Force... - R.P.
Busy around here tonight - two or three Hawks been doing circuits and bumps at RAF Mona (just up the road) - they're still at it tonight, judging by the noise from one he was pulling a pretty tight turn. Must be close to graduating a course.
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 14 Sep 11 at 22:43

Tornado - Zero
Its been a nice couple of days down at Palace Zero. This week a fairly rare steam outing was due round our way, A1 Class Tornado was scheduled to haul an excursion from Woking to Lincoln, using a part of one of the pretiest lines in the South East, the Guildford to Redhill link, around the base of the Surrey Hills and parts of the North Downs.

I spent some time preparing for this one, checking the route on Google Earth, marking out likely spots. FiFi and I had a lovely few days in the gentle September sun, exploring the route, checking out the viewing spots, the villages, the pubs, climbing the hills, walking the leafy byways laid down by the pilgrims from Winchester to Canterbury, location finally chosen, and plenty of others noted for use on other occasions, possibly in the snow I hope.

It was an early departure for 60163 Tornado, 08:05 out of Woking, so an early (these days) departure for me, climbing in the car at 07:30 after wiping off the dew from the windows. The route sees me crossing the still foggy Pyford flood plains, the sun yet to burn it off, the misty whisps curling through the empty mullions of the silhouetted ruins of 12th century Newark Priory.
Through the old coaching village of Ripley, past the entrance to Clandon Park, built by Venetian architect Giacomo Leoni in the Early 1730's, towards Guildford, and up over the tree covered downs via the narrow lanes of the delightfully named Halfpenny Corner, destination - the gunpowder milling village of Chilworth, nestling in the Tillingbourne valley.

A 15 minute walk in the mild September light, the trees still laden, the wildlife still active, my breath curling on the very still air, sees me at my chosen spot. Early, to make sure I bag the best bit, no need to worry tho it was just me, the track, the birds and Tornado.

It was a compact spot, no room for a tripod so the film is hand held, uphill, perfect sound trap, and Tornado obliged, working its socks off to climb the long gradient.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7cqvHPtCSE

Choose the 1080 HD option, turn up your speakers around the two minute mark and enjoy this, if of course, such things inspire you.

Days such as these are just made for living.

Tornado - Ted

Nice, Z.
I did a bit of gricing today......what a fabulous day up here. I'm off tomorrow to the Brecon area on the bike. As I've not ridden for a while due to eye problems I thought I'd have a spin round Cheshire today.

Morning coffee at the station at Delamere but nothing came through so I rode on in the hot Sun down towards Shrewsbury and set off to the east past Market Drayton to a favourite viewing spot on the WCML at Madeley, just south of Crewe. Four tracks here and everything using the WCML through Crewe has to go past.

This is where the LMS took the world steam speed record before abandoning the game due to a rather naughty high speed entry into Crewe station, which proved that Mr Stanier's pacifics could take a crossover at four times the permitted speed......a brown pantie moment for those on board 1

You can sit on the bike about 30 feet from the tracks and eat your packed lunch. I was rewarded with a constant flow of Pendolinos, Voyagers, locals and express goods trains.

Came home via Middlewich and Goostrey where I was rewarded by a local stopping in the loop for a Manchester bound Pendo to overtake.

Some real Summer smells out there which you just don't get in a car.

Indian Summer ? Think I'm going to get wet tomorrow !

Crewe is a figment of traveller's brains......Born of the night, of Bradshaw and of trains.

Ted

Tornado - commerdriver
Nice one, Z. How do you find the spots to film from? Are you actually on railway land, some of your films look really close to the tracks.
Re the no space for a tripod, have you considered a monopod?

2 Locos and a carriage ....on a low loader. - R.P.
Being driven today through Caernarfon....

www.festiniograilway.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=327:lilla-locomotive-group&catid=36:ways-to-volunteer&Itemid=123

and another and a bijou little first class carriage....

Tornado - Zero
>> Nice one, Z. How do you find the spots to film from?

Google earth, OS maps, then a recce. Its part of the fun - for me anyway.

>> Are you actually
>> on railway land, some of your films look really close to the tracks.

Hmm Open to debate that one. Strictly speaking yes, All are shot on railway land, but where the public have access. Station Platforms, permissive footpaths across the tracks, that kind of thing.

>> Re the no space for a tripod, have you considered a monopod?

Yup - pondering that one as we speak. I could try the tripod on one leg.

Tornado - R.P.
www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2011/09/23/raf-valley-hawk-tmk2-fighter-jets-bring-virtual-battlezone-to-skies-55578-29472380/

Should brighten the place up a bit.

Tornado - four wheels good...
A Catalina flew over our house in north Staffs at about 1400 today. It flew in from the east, did a 180 turn and disappeared back to the east. Lovely sound from its engines.

Teddy's teaser. - Ted

Long time since I posted a mystery train ........I think the last was on the other side.

So, Here is a London & North Western Railway special express. The train is heading North on the West Coast main line at Kenton.
The locomotives are C.J.Bowen-Cooke's ' Prince of Wales class, ' Arabic ' and ' Persia '
The date was between the wars.

tinyurl.com/6jfpcus

The train is in connection with a world famous event..what was it and where was it headed ?

One answer should lead to the other...either way.

Ted

Teddy's teaser. - Londoner
Was it taking Bolton Wanderers fans to the first cup final to be held at the old Wembley Stadium?

Teddy's teaser. - Ted

Nah, L. It's heading North...and it's not taking them home !

Ted

Todays ChooChoo... - Zero
... is Tornado again, this time pulling a set of VSOE pullman coaches.

Checking the route and the timings I saw she would be held somewhere, at a red, and I figured I knew where.

Bingo

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN1deybaAHk
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 30 Sep 11 at 16:51

Todays ChooChoo... - Ted

Well only Londonboy was brave enough to have a go at the mystery, so I might as well put it to bed.

Pictured in 1930, It was a special funeral express from Euston to Cardington in connection with the R101 Airship disaster.

Ted

it was a tad tenuous Ted

Todays ChooChoo... - bathtub tom
>>It was a special funeral express from Euston to Cardington

Are you sure it was Euston Ted? Cardington station was on the Bedford to Hitchin line.

Hitchin's on the East coast main line from King's cross.

Bedford's on the old LMS line from St Pancras.

Todays ChooChoo... - Bromptonaut
I was scratching my head over that one too BT.

The shot is definitely on the LNWR mainline in the Kenton/Northwick Park area; the overbridge behind the train carries the Metropolitan line over the Euston line.

It would be possible to do Euston, Bletchley, Bedford St John's but it would then need two reversals to get to Cardington. Probably transferred to road transport at some point?

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 1 Oct 11 at 10:54

Bedford St John's was the station for Cardington.

The only reason I can think of doing it that way is it means Cardington's approached from the North rather than the South. Unless it stopped to pick up mourners at Bedford?

A total of 46 of the 54 passengers and crew were killed immediately. The bodies were returned to England where they lay in state in Westminster Hall at the Palace of Westminster. After a memorial service at St Paul's Cathedral on 11 October, the bodies were taken to Cardington village for burial in the cemetery of St Mary's church. A monument was later erected, and the scorched RAF ensign which R101 had flown on its tail is on display, along with a memorial tablet, in the church's nave.

You are all forgetting the old link from Hitchin to Bedford St Johns, passing through Cardington station,.

>> You are all forgetting the old link from Hitchin to Bedford St Johns, passing through
>> Cardington station,.

BT mentioned it at first. Accessing it from the Bletchley direction would have required the engines to run round at St John's and again at Midland.

>> >> You are all forgetting the old link from Hitchin to Bedford St Johns, passing
>> through
>> >> Cardington station,.
>>
>> BT mentioned it at first.

Apologies then

>> Bedford St John's was the station for Cardington.

My map shows Cardington's own station as being on line from Bedford to Hitchin. Formerly Midland territory and trains routed throughthe main station.

St John's was east of Bedford on the L&NWR line from Oxford to Cambridge. The line beyond there was closed in the sixties but St John's stayed open as the end of the line from Bletchley with trains reversing to go onto Midland. Then in the eighties a new chord was inserted to allow trains to access Bedford Midland directly. St John's then closed.

There are now plans to re-open the whole 'Varsity route'. Oxford to Bletchley is relatively easy. The line towards Sandy is severed in several places and might be much more costly.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 1 Oct 11 at 11:14

The old location of St John's closed, but a new station with that name opened nearby that's still in use: g.co/maps/c68b3 g.co/maps/vpvxf

Actually just a scaffold and wood platform.

Todays ChooChoo... - Ted

Lots of input there from you locals....the photo is captioned just as I posted but it may be mistaken in station of origin. 7 years into the grouping, I suppose LNWR stock could be used on the Midland main line although the companies remained pretty well stuck to their own territory for years.

My 1923 gazetteer shows the line to Bedford from Bletchley on the WCML. It may be that road was used from Bedford.......a bit like the Wootton Bassett funeral processions of recent years.

Amazing that they managed to get 2 consecutively numbered engines for the train......the LNWR numbering system followed no set pattern. I can't think that the ' middle eastern' names had any relevance...unless anyone knows better.

Ted

That's defintely the WCML east of Harrow Ted. Been my daily commute since 1986 so I know it pretty well!

Most of the other main lines out of London are paired by function but from Euston they're paired by direction. The train is running on the down (n/b) fast. The lines alongside electrified 3rd/4th rail are the 'DC' lines to Watford used by the stopping service from Euston and tube services on te Bakerloo line. At the time of the R101 crash they were realtively new having been completed in 1921.

Todays ChooChoo... - Ted

St John's station, then by road to Cardington...as suggested above.

The ceremonies began at Beauvais on 7th October when a contingent from the French army and air force assembled at the Hotel de Ville for a “levee du corps”. The French prime minister and Ministers of Air and War were also present. A movement was already under way in Beauvais to buy the ground on which R101 crashed for a permanent memorial, which was indeed later built.

The bodies were then taken by French gun carriages to a special train which took the dead to Boulogne. The bodies were then carried back to Dover by destroyers H. M. S. Tempest and H. M. S. Tribune. A special train then carried the remains to London accompanied my members of the Royal Air Force. The bodies were then temporarily housed at Westminster City Mortuary in Horseferry Road.

The bodies lay in state in Westminster Hall before being transferred to Euston Station via Whitehall, Strand, Aldwych, Kingsway and Southampton Row for removal to Bedford. The train passed along the branch line from Bletchley to Bedford after leaving the West Coast Main Line. The bodies were unloaded at Saint John’s Station about 2 p. m., going by road in a mile long cortege to Saint Mary’s churchyard in Cardington. They were buried at 4 p. m. on 11th October 1930 in separate coffins but in a mass grave because so many of the remains were unidentified. The service was undertaken by the Vicar of Cardington and the Bishop of Saint Albans. A squadron of RAF aircraft flew overhead and three volleys were fired over the grave by a detachment of the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment. A memorial service had been held at Saint Paul’s cathedral in London earlier that morning.

The monument above the mass grave was erected by public subscription, which realised £1,398/1/3. It was completed in September 1931 at a cost of £1,075/5/6, the remaining £322/15/9 being available for dependents of those who died.

Todays view from the trackside is - Zero
Tangmere, on its way from Victoria to Bristol via Winchester and Salisbury.

Much personal sacrifice made to get this shot, the area was heavily patrolled by the largest most aggressive Formica rufa I have ever seen. A couple of bites despite jeans tucked in boots.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0esAa-tjjZo

Tangmere will be back tonight, I might try and get a night shot of her at Haslemere.

Last edited by: Zero on Thu 6 Oct 11 at 15:58

Todays view from the trackside is - spamcan61
Thanks! She seems a lot less smoky than normal in that clip.

Todays view from the trackside is - Focusless
For those that aren't aware, this site (and possibly others) tells you where all the steam trains are for the coming week:
www.beholder.co.uk/steam/

I should be able to see Tornado stop in Bath next Wednesday lunchtime, then watch it go back through Earley in the evening.

Ah, Tornado next Wednesday.

I did a bit of scouting for that journey, and I have my location chosen. Will provide more information on that come the day.

>> I should be able to see Tornado stop in Bath next Wednesday lunchtime, then watch
>> it go back through Earley in the evening.

Not now, Tornado has been pulled from that run, rebuilt merchant navy class 35028 Clan line has been rostered onto that service. .
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 11 Oct 11 at 08:41

>> >> I should be able to see Tornado stop in Bath next Wednesday lunchtime, then
>> watch
>> >> it go back through Earley in the evening.
>>
>> Not now, Tornado has been pulled from that run, rebuilt merchant navy class 35028 Clan
>> line has been rostered onto that service. .

Now rostered with BR 70000 Britannia.

>> Now rostered with BR 70000 Britannia.

Thanks; I'd missed your previous update.

Might watch it from the more picturesque Sydney Gardens rather than the station; there's only a low wall separating the gardens from the track.
tinyurl.com/689eahn

It will be very busy, favourite spot. lots of cameras.

I will be taking a video of the old girl from a very strange place indeed.

I am a station.

I have no car park, no bus connection, no taxi rank, not even any form of access by road. I dont even have hard standing public access footpath. I have no staff, no ticket office, and you can only buy an authority to travel

I am a mile from the nearest house, and at one point in the last 10 years only 260 passengers used me in the whole year. Now I get famous actors.

120 trains a day pass me, yet only 16 stop.

Who am I

Todays view from the trackside is - Bromptonaut
>> Who am I

Well I've wasted my entire lunch break on that one and got nowhere (unless you're going to Scotland to see a different old girl!)

Spill the beans old chap!!

I am Longcross Station.

Video to follow

Beaten by the Edit

Longcross

Todays view from the trackside is - Ted

I presume Longcross is fairly small.......that leads me to a couple of ' funnies ' about another small station.......Damems, on the K&WVR.

Someone once said it was so small that they took it in when it rained.
Another story tells of the station building being collected by the crew of a stopping goods train who thought it was a packing case waiting to be picked up !

All good stuff.

Ted

>>
>> I presume Longcross is fairly small.

Look for yourself on the clip here of Britannia powering her way through it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATgsIWWLlaI

(have to say, I am pleased with that - its a goodun)

NOt so small, it has 8 coach platforms, ticket office (closed) and a large covered waiting area, just no actual access for normal passengers.

>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATgsIWWLlaI
>>
>> (have to say, I am pleased with that - its a goodun)

Nice one. Wish I could post something similar, but got back from work late and just couldn't muster up enough enthusiasm to go out again. Failed.

Super pics Z

Thanx!!

>>
>> I presume Longcross is fairly small.......that leads me to a couple of ' funnies '
>> about another small station.......Damems, on the K&WVR.
>>
>> Someone once said it was so small that they took it in when it rained.
>> Another story tells of the station building being collected by the crew of a stopping
>> goods train who thought it was a packing case waiting to be picked up !
>>
>> All good stuff.

My old man used to tell me stories of Stations in the wilds of the fens and the east coast, where there was no electricity, and all station lamps were oil, and the tea was brewed in billies in the waiting room coal fire. This was in 1966.

Todays view from the trackside is - Ted

One story I like is about the Settle&Carlisle. At one point there were water troughs...Garsdale, I think.

Of course, being up there they used to freeze solid and damage the pickup gear on the engines if not kept clear. The Midland Railway employed men to keep the ice off the water in between trains but the overspray from expresses picking up water made the surrounding area lethal to walk on.

Now, one of the gang was a very small man and one day he slipped and fell into the trough.
Before the rest of the gang could pull him out, a northbound express hauled by a 999 class 4-4-0 appeared on the scene at speed with it's scoop down. The train passed leaving no trace of the poor man.

Later, the train arrived at Carlisle Citadel with the crew both white as sheets and trembling violently. When they'd been calmed down enough to speak, the fireman told of looking at his water gauge and seeing a small face peering out from behind the glass with an agonised look.

I wonder ?

Ted

>> Might watch it from the more picturesque Sydney Gardens

Got stuck in a meeting unfortunately but will try to catch it steaming through Earley at about 7:30 this evening.

>> Thanks! She seems a lot less smoky than normal in that clip.

Still got that mysterious "clank" tho

Todays view from the trackside is - Bigtee
Zero, You look a bit too close there but did see a fence so do you have a valid PTS certificate & is that 3rd rail there too?

>> Zero, You look a bit too close there but did see a fence so do
>> you have a valid PTS certificate

you know I dont BT. But I was standing on a public right of way, and although its close, its not quite as close as the lens will have you think. Pretty close tho.

> & is that 3rd rail there too?

Yup all 750 volts DC of it.

As the train passes you can see there's some sort of (pedestrian?) crossing. Ideal spot!

As promised, Tangmere, at night, being watered at Haslemere.

A chilly night till Tangmere drifted in and warmed up the entire platform. There is something rather unique about the firebox glow from a big engine on a cold dark night.

Its rather long I am afraid, my longest yet (so long that MS movie maker acted the goat a lot, and has forced me into getting a new video editing suite which I will practise with) but has an interesting ending as Tangmere struggles to get grip on the damp cold rails.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAcCUcfQzSY

Todays view from the trackside is - Mapmaker
Looks as though it's prone to its wheels slipping. Or more likely the usual driver doesn't have enough patience to accelerate slowly.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj6M-xMw0yY&feature=related

In fact, Wikipedia tells us they are lightweight engines, so that's probably why.

>> In fact, Wikipedia tells us they are lightweight engines, so that's probably why.

Indeed, it is in fact a "light pacific"

All steam engines wheel slip from time to time. The regulator is a an insensitive control and not at all linear in its action. Drivers need real feel for the loco.

This however is wheel slip

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjsNbzg1UaI

the engine was wrecked and took 18 months to rebuild

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Peppercorn_Class_A2_60532_Blue_Peter#1994_accident
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 7 Oct 11 at 15:46

Todays ChooChoo... - Mapmaker
>>> easy. The line towards Sandy is severed in several places and might be much more
>> costly.

And the line beyond Sandy has been taken over for other purposes.

g.co/maps/bd3zd

I guess they wouldn't really want trains passing them...

Todays ChooChoo... - devonite
>>Still got that mysterious "clank" tho

and the "Doppler" effect almost makes her sound like she`s jet-engined!!

Todays ChooChoo... - Old Navy
Nice one Zero, I enjoy your videos, although I am not a train enthusiast they remind me of seeing steam trains passing through Wimbledon still accelerating from Waterloo but almost up to speed.

Todays ChooChoo... - Mapmaker
Zero isn't a train enthusiast. He's just retired and bored. Got nearly half his life to fill in yet....

Todays ChooChoo... - Pat
..and grumpy in the mornings.:) * I'm off*

Pat

Todays ChooChoo... - Old Navy
>> Zero isn't a train enthusiast. He's just retired and bored. Got nearly half his life
>> to fill in yet....
>>

Me too, great isn't it. Just got back from a few days in Barcelona, now where next, decisions, decisions..............

Today it's Planes - Bromptonaut
Rob's link to the fifties bike tour and mention of the Le Touquet air ferry got me searching.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM_EqKL3sCo&feature=related

Footage of the Bristol Freighter at Heathrow's 50th about 3 mins into this wonderful film. Lots more too including the last airtworthy Comet, Canopus, and Concorde. PLus the voice of Raymond Baxter.

And for those wanting the Carvair

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydCUDnVgYGg

BUA aircraft arriving at COV, being turned round and departing again.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 8 Oct 11 at 11:36

Today it's Planes - Ted

Mention of fifties aircraft made me look at some of my collection of photos. This is a Vickers Viscount in serious trouble. I still remember it in the papers and I could easily show the exact spot where it happened, a few miles from here.

I wasn't sure about posting this but it does have historical interest.

s479.photobucket.com/albums/rr152/1400ted/vv/?action=view¤t=vv005.jpg

A massive tragedy...anyone recall it ?

Ted

Today it's Planes - R.P.
Wasn't there a discussion either here or on HJ about it ?

Today it's Planes - spamcan61
I think the previous discussion was this crash:-

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockport_air_disaster

I think Ted's ohoto is this crash:-

aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19570314-0

Today it's Planes - Ted

Known here as the ' Shadow Moss ' air disaster ( the road it hit ) I have a few original police photos and a number of road accident ones liberated from a skip 40 yrs ago. I suspect all the road accidents would have been ' fatals ' to warrant a photo, but most don't look too serious.

I think it was the Stockport disaster we discussed before. It hold memories for me as I was one of the first officers to arrive, being already on a ' standby point ' on my motorbike.
( The same Velocette that lives in my garage now )

I don't think about it too much now and I haven't read the book. Nor did I come forward to be interviewed by the author when he was advertising for anecdotes.

Another sad day.

Ted

Today it's Planes - Bigtee
Zero,

You love your steamers it's obvious so are you a volunteer at a railway museum yet?

The one local to us is asking for volunteers as i took my lad who's three there and he happened to tell everyone "my daddy fixes trains" now they would love some part time help but i have enough on!!

Been a volunteer will get you in close to your steamers and you may get your PTS.

Today it's Planes - Ted

If ' my ' line here hadn't become a tramway and had become a heritage line, I'd have signed on like a shot.

My nearest is at Bury, not too far, distance-wise but right across the other side of the City and about an hours travel in the rush. I support, with a cash donation and membership, the building of a new LMS Patriot 4-6-0 at Llangollen.

www.lms-patriot.org.uk/overview.html

I might see it on Sunday, going on a 2CV run to the town......I'll have to sneak away for half an hour.

Ted

Helicopter, Kites, Trains, - Zero
One for Meldrew, Stu, Pat (near her childhood area) - Longish journey for me for this one. I know the area well, the beautiful Welland valley, never thought I would get to film steam there, but here it is.

The a Chinook popped up, and I saw some Red Kites that infest the area getting bullied by the local crows.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUEN0cKlhaE

Helicopter, Kites, Trains, - Bromptonaut
Brill pics Z. Latish this aft with Tornado southbound?

It was 10:35 am, Yes Southbound between Oakham and Corby.

It should be joining Bittern in a double headed loco move to the Mid Hants railway tomorrow, but I don't have any times.

Helicopter, Kites, Trains, - commerdriver
Another nice video Z, an eventful 5 minutes. Bit of a mixup with the numbers on the video title but nice nevertheless. Do you know where Tornado was going?

Yeah I made too booboos with the titles and sub tittling, took ages to render so I aint changing it now.

Destination as per my entry above, Its on its way to Southall in West London.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 19 Oct 11 at 23:16

Helicopter, Kites, Trains, - Triple Header - Zero
Good Lord, this is a rarity, we have a triple header going by my place tomorrow

LNER A1 Class 4-6-2 no 60163 Tornado
LNER A4 Class 4-6-2 no 60019 Bittern [as 4492 Dominion of New Zealand]
BR Britannia Class 4-6-2 no 70000 Britannia

>> Good Lord, this is a rarity, we have a triple header going by my place
>> tomorrow
>>
>> LNER A1 Class 4-6-2 no 60163 Tornado
>> LNER A4 Class 4-6-2 no 60019 Bittern [as 4492 Dominion of New Zealand]
>> BR Britannia Class 4-6-2 no 70000 Britannia

And here they are, in no particular order. Well there is as they are coupled together,.

Doubt I'll ever see that there again in my lifetime.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PLJJICePZk

Helicopter, Kites, Trains, - Triple Header - Runfer D'Hills
Just out of curiousity, do you lurk at the end of station platforms with a little notebook, a flask and a really bad anorak on?

Yes, there was about 6 of us.

The other 5 had MB e class estates.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 20 Oct 11 at 16:08
What actually had them or just wrote the reg numbers of some they'd seen in a little book while sucking a Fisherman's Friend?

No had them, they had that kinda sticky sweet poo and leather smell about them.

After all it was icy this morning.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 20 Oct 11 at 16:27

Don't forget to wash the crumbs from the remains of the Spam and beetroot sandwiches out of the Tupperware now !

:-)

Helicopter, Kites, Trains, - Pat
Nostalgia before 5am isn't good for me!

Thanks for that Zero, I love the Seaton Viaduct as it known locally and always tells me I'm getting back close to 'home' when I see it. I too love the Welland Valley and miss the rolling hills from that part of the country....it's so flat here.

You should pop into The Swan at Harringworth for lunch next time you're up there, I can thoroughly recommend it and we use it regularly as a halfway meeting point from Kibworth to March!

I feel I have to add that I'm not old enough to have ever seen steam on the viaduct before though:)

Pat

Latest Forum Posts