Computer Related > Home Access Grant approved - now which model? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dave_ Replies: 12

Home Access Grant approved - now which model? - Dave_
I got the approval through today for my Home Access Grant www.homeaccess.org.uk/ which is a government initiative to provide low-income families with children aged between 7-13 with a laptop, a mobile broadband dongle prepaid with a year's internet access. I have a slightly creaky WinXP home PC and home broadband but I've never had a laptop and have only had brief tries on other peoples'.

Looking at the list of suppliers and available models of laptop, they all seem pretty similar (15.6" screen, 1.9GHz processor, 160GB HDD, Windows 7 and Microsoft Office plus comprehensive backup / repair / replacement service). The two deals that stand out for me are:

The Samsung R519 bit.ly/cVGuxR which has 2GB of RAM as opposed to all the others' 1GB - not sure if this will affect how it works but it seems like a good idea, and

Any of the deals from XMA Home Access bit.ly/4RaUYQ as they come with a "free" Printer/Copier/Scanner. I already have one of those but at £35 for a set of four inks it's lain unused for the last 6 months.

Out of the Samsung, Toshiba and Acer models listed, which would the experts here recommend? My daughter is respectful of expensive technology so robustness of the laptop isn't necessarily an overriding factor, however reliability and ease of operation are.
 Messages Author Date
 Home Access Grant approved - now which .. new Dave_ 13 Mar 10 13:51
 Home Access Grant approved - now which mo.. new Iffy 13 Mar 10 14:34
 Home Access Grant approved - now which m.. new smokie 13 Mar 10 17:31
 Home Access Grant approved - now which .. new spamcan61 13 Mar 10 21:14
 Home Access Grant approved - now which.. new Zero 13 Mar 10 21:42
 Home Access Grant approved - now whi.. new Dave_ 13 Mar 10 22:00
 Home Access Grant approved - now wh.. new spamcan61 14 Mar 10 12:38
 Home Access Grant approved - now whi.. new L'escargot 17 Mar 10 06:23
 Home Access Grant approved - now wh.. new Iffy 17 Mar 10 07:28
 Home Access Grant approved - now which m.. new Pat 14 Mar 10 05:29
 Home Access Grant approved - now which .. new VxFan 14 Mar 10 11:27