Computer Related > AMD CPU Warranty Computing Issues
Thread Author: tyrednemotional Replies: 7

AMD CPU Warranty - tyrednemotional
...as it isn't on topic, I've avoided following this up on my "bike ride" thread, but I mentioned on there that in the middle of my other misfortunes, my main PC had died abruptly.

I strongly suspected the motherboard from the way it went, but lengthy investigations finally identified the CPU.

Having got there, and not wanting to be without the machine, I decided to replace it like-for-like. (which I have done, successfully).

The failed CPU was an AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, and this replaced a 2400G about 8 months ago, as the latter was one of the most recent CPUs not to support Win11 (not that I've gone there yet).

Along with other bits hanging around, that was used cheaply to build a decent spec PC for my SiL, whose previous one had just died.

At 8 months old, the failed CPU was in warranty, and I mulled over the disruption of putting in a claim, but decided, with time on my hands, I had little to lose.

I have to say, I'm glad I didn't wait before replacing the CPU. 16 days after the failure, I'm in the throes of having the CPU picked up by courier to go to the AMD RMA centre in the Netherlands. God knows how much longer any response is going to take!

I've been through endless loops of emails, repeatedly asking for the same info, requesting a picture of the failed CPU mounted in the motherboard (good luck with that, I ain't taking it apart again now it's working). Invoice details, inside leg measurement, etc. etc.

Finally got return authorisation via an email with broken links to return information, conflicting advice on how to return, etc. (In fact, the return process is easy, they've booked me a consignment at their cost via DHL, and it will be picked up at my request - the information sent, however, contradicts much of that and tells me I have to take it to a DHL centre).

Frankly, I'm not too concerned, other than on principle. I suspect the best resolution I can expect is another CPU (and I don't need one). I doubt they're going to refund the monetary value.

(If I do end up with a replacement CPU, however, I suspect SiL's PC will be in for an upgrade.

The process is all so amateurish, though.
 Messages Author Date
 AMD CPU Warranty new tyrednemotional 26 Jul 22 13:36
 AMD CPU Warranty new Zero 26 Jul 22 14:02
 AMD CPU Warranty new tyrednemotional 28 Jul 22 08:03
 AMD CPU Warranty new smokie 28 Jul 22 08:52
 AMD CPU Warranty new tyrednemotional 2 Aug 22 17:35
 AMD CPU Warranty new zippy 2 Aug 22 18:38
 AMD CPU Warranty new Biggles 2 Aug 22 19:07
 AMD CPU Warranty new zippy 2 Aug 22 19:39
Latest Forum Posts